Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Elephant

Elephant
May 26, 2010, 03:06:11 AM
Elephant.

a different and personal point of view of the Columbine Massacre, written and directed by Gus Van Sant.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0363589/

http://www.amazon.com/Elephant-Film-Gus-Van-Sant/dp/B0001EFUFK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1274837990&sr=8-1

download

Re: Elephant
May 26, 2010, 03:51:41 AM
I was thinking about this movie today. Sinchronicity.
You're quite hostile.

I got a right to be hostile, man, my people been persecuted!

May 28, 2010, 03:26:30 AM
I liked everything in this film except the suggestion of homosexuality, mainly because there's no credible evidence for it. Where it shines is the portrayal of high school, which was dead on.

May 28, 2010, 03:46:40 AM
Maybe the screenwriter was trying to say that they were such losers, that they couldn't get girls and knowing that the school shooting would end in suicide, wanted to taste some sexual experience
You're quite hostile.

I got a right to be hostile, man, my people been persecuted!

May 28, 2010, 04:26:50 PM
I liked everything in this film except the suggestion of homosexuality, mainly because there's no credible evidence for it. Where it shines is the portrayal of high school, which was dead on.

it's a pretty easy psychoanalytic reading.  I'm not saying I agree with it, but it's an automatic than whenever you find two young loner boys who retreat into a world where their only means of coping and/or finding acceptance is in the arms of each other, someone is going to assume homo.

May 28, 2010, 04:53:29 PM
I thought we'd got past the stage where everybody thought that they were social outcasts?

May 28, 2010, 05:11:19 PM
I thought we'd got past the stage where everybody thought that they were social outcasts?

I doubt the 99.99999999999% of the world that doesn't use ANUS will ever acknowledge them any other way

May 28, 2010, 07:05:38 PM
Most people have the drone/peasant mentality:

1. I am a victim, not an incompetent.
2. I am unique and important because I am.
3. I am misunderstood.
4. The source of my problems is the world not doing things for me; it has nothing to do with me getting organized.
5. Because of the above, and because I see some people succeeding, I must insist that we are all equal because only that explains my victimhood mentality in the face of others doing just fine.

That's liberalism, counter-culture, rock music, punk (especially) and most metalheads in a nutshell.

May 28, 2010, 07:18:34 PM
Most people have the drone/peasant mentality:

Memorable quote from a parent from way back: "THE WORLD DOESN'T OWE YOU A LIVING!!1!"

I doubt the 99.99999999999% of the world that doesn't use ANUS will ever acknowledge them any other way

If we look at the facts, we'll find that ANUS is considerably better represented to the public than what you would have us believe.
”The Revolution ends by devouring its own children” – Jacques Mallet du Pan, 1793

May 28, 2010, 11:52:52 PM
It's been a bit since I saw this film, but I remember not liking it too much.  As Conservationist mentioned, the gay suggestion was unnecessary and came out of left field.  Also, for a film about Columbine, they sure didn't do a whole lot of exploration into the motivations of the shooters.  They portrayed them as smart but misunderstood outcasts, and not much else.  It was a pretty standard affair.