Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

moving to the west coast

moving to the west coast
May 27, 2010, 06:29:20 PM
I don't understand how moving to the west coast is so appealing to a lot of people.  A few of my friends plan on moving over there and its all they fucking talk about.  I mean sure, there is a good music scene, but is it really that marvellous? What's with the hype?

Re: moving to the west coast
May 27, 2010, 06:34:36 PM
Western Man has been doing this (westward migration) for thousands of years, actually. There is some sort of inexplicable natural impulse at work, a much larger topic than you might have expected.

May 27, 2010, 07:02:30 PM
Western Man has been doing this (westward migration) for thousands of years, actually. There is some sort of inexplicable natural impulse at work, a much larger topic than you might have expected.

Man, I have recently read a book that touches on this subject, a great book by the way, wich I discovered by the Acerbus interview, Prometheus Rising. I was even thinking about creating a topic for that book, and giving the link for download. It mentions some historian or sociologist who theorized that wealth has been moving west over the generations.

West west, y'all.

May 27, 2010, 07:42:33 PM

The west coast tends to be a lot more open-minded, liberal, weird, non-traditional etc than the east coast or central parts of the country. This attracts quite a few people, including metal heads.

May 27, 2010, 09:02:38 PM
I'm guessing that the availability of certain drugs (marijuana) and the reputation of California girls as open-minded sluts are also contributing factors

May 28, 2010, 01:41:03 AM
people are always moving about because they think they will find what they need to find.  it's a "grass is always greener on the other side" mentality.  the irony is that home is where we belong.  my advice:  stay home and build an empire in your own backyard!

May 28, 2010, 04:24:19 PM
from a weather and climate point of view, the west coast puts the east to shame.  when I lived in southern california, the lack of rain, snow, and extreme heat and cold were far more palatable to me than the searing heat and humidity of summer that I get where I live now, and the 2 feet of snow and frigid temperatures we get in the winter.  those winters are akin to death for me and inspire nothing creatively, spiritually, or otherwise.

May 28, 2010, 06:00:13 PM
from a weather and climate point of view, the west coast puts the east to shame.  when I lived in southern california, the lack of rain, snow, and extreme heat and cold were far more palatable to me than the searing heat and humidity of summer that I get where I live now, and the 2 feet of snow and frigid temperatures we get in the winter.  those winters are akin to death for me and inspire nothing creatively, spiritually, or otherwise.

This is a metal forum, BRO. 5 month brutal winters that leave you completely drained of a will to live by the end makes that brutally hot summer that makes you wish you had a block of ice to hide in all the better.

May 29, 2010, 09:29:07 AM

This is a metal forum, BRO. 5 month brutal winters that leave you completely drained of a will to live by the end makes that brutally hot summer that makes you wish you had a block of ice to hide in all the better.

Good old Nebraska

May 29, 2010, 01:05:36 PM
when I lived in southern california, the lack of rain, snow, and extreme heat and cold were far more palatable to me than the searing heat and humidity of summer that I get where I live now, and the 2 feet of snow and frigid temperatures we get in the winter.

The lack of seasons is uncanny however.

May 29, 2010, 04:33:56 PM
The lack of seasons is uncanny however.

That's true to an extent. After living there for a couple of years, one's body does tend to acclimate to the more subtle seasonal shifts that occur out there.  Daytime temperatures during the middle of winter may not drop below 55-60, but if night time hits 40-45, that'll feel extremely cold.  I recall on one trip back east in November 2000, I was exiting the airport and the temperature was about 38 degrees.  It felt like Antarctica to me.  All of this has shifted a bit since I moved back east, but I still have no fondness for cold weather.

In spite of the predictability of the seasons, there's a certain comfort in knowing that any outdoor activities planned will (almost) never be disrupted by inclement weather

June 07, 2010, 07:17:29 PM
California has a reputation of being a tropical paradise where everyone loves you no matter how much of a loser you are and all the women are easy. This is why people go. I've never lived anywhere but Miami and calling California tropical is the absolutely preposterous. In Miami, nearly everyone wears at least one  jacket at any temperature below 70 degrees. Down jackets are not uncommon at these temperatures. A lot of people find the low 70s to be too cold to stand without at least a sweater. I've been to California. The water at the beach is insufferably cold. My body went numb in that water. California is unbearably cold to anyone from anywhere remotely tropical(technically Miami is not tropical, but is only about 2 degrees latitude above it.)

June 07, 2010, 09:52:12 PM
California has a reputation of being a tropical paradise where everyone loves you no matter how much of a loser you are and all the women are easy. This is why people go. I've never lived anywhere but Miami and calling California tropical is the absolutely preposterous. In Miami, nearly everyone wears at least one  jacket at any temperature below 70 degrees. Down jackets are not uncommon at these temperatures. A lot of people find the low 70s to be too cold to stand without at least a sweater. I've been to California. The water at the beach is insufferably cold. My body went numb in that water. California is unbearably cold to anyone from anywhere remotely tropical(technically Miami is not tropical, but is only about 2 degrees latitude above it.)

I've never heard anyone from California refer to it as tropical but that's neither here nor there.  Having lived in the state I can tell you that much of what you said about the people in Miami is true about the people in Southern California.  Many people I knew out there all considered winters with daytime highs of 55-60 to be bitterly cold. Jacket weather was anything below 70.  Hell, even I became part of this eventually, when my blood thinned from the warmer climate.  I wore jackets on days out there that would have me suffering heat stroke if I did the same here.