Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

The existence of spirits and other things

The existence of spirits and other things
May 27, 2010, 06:48:12 PM
Do you think there is soul, magic, or spiritual realm (all at once, or just one of them?).

When I was a kid I was a christian, then when I was like 12 I started denying god, by 14 I denied him, became a "skeptic" but I was so young, didn't read much that my skeptcism was not well based. Anyway I tought scientists and skeptics were the people who knew what reality was all about and what it was not. Before thinking like that I was a little mystical, and I have enjoyed buddhism since my pre-teen. Some day I read a book on buddhism and was fascinated because it showed the world was made of particles and concepts like a chair is not really a chair but a bunch of wood etc. but it is also a chair. I was surprised when, many years after knowing ANUS.com, I re-read some parts of the book and saw Meister Eckhart (wich I tought I had seen first on ANUS, I did not know it was in the book I had read many years early) was mentioned on the book. That made me feel a little amazed, like I was on the right track, or chasing the same things in my life. Anyway I was curious about mysticism, reincarnation, spirits before denying it all.

But it was no good trying to repress that curiosity. It's all coming back now. One thing that helped me become a little more inclined to the spiritual thing is that I, with closed eyes and trying to concentrate, imagined myself with closed eyes and imagined not to be exactly leaving my body, but to extend my consciousness outside of it and as I was with my eyes closed, that outside realm was black. It's difficult to explain, but it was like a vast black world with only some clear part, wich was the narrow consciousness, my normal consciousness, perceiving only some part of reality, and with human concepts, the obscure reality being unhuman and full of entities or whatever. The important part of that for me was that I imagined not only myself looking at myself, but and extended unhuman world looking at a limited human vision, wich converted eveything to a more humane reality, wich is real, but not perfect in understanding, and in fact full of prejudices and things like worrying about survival or breathing or eyesight. I wish that actually happened but it was just a concept, imagination, and not a very vivid one. I am starting to read stuff from mystical sources like hermeticism, gnosicism and some other stuff.

Anyway, I believe 100% that people can attain enlightenment (a fact that does not need spirituality to exist), astral projection (I don't think people can actually leave their bodies, but I believe they experience it as if it was real) and that a lot of "spiritual" stuff really happens, it just may not be due to the causes that mystics speak.

Anyway, I'm not taking position anymore until I have had many experiences, and read many books. I just wish to  see what the people on the forum think, from what I know there are some hardcore no-spirituality people, and some mystics.

--

But even if there is only neuron activity, I will never deny mysticism because it can be useful and it can be explained by the brain alone.

--

Another thing that's not quite the subject here but I will not create another topic about it: Plants sensitivity. Do they possess sensitivity, feelings, or something similar? My biology teacher said no.

--

One things that kind of makes me a little skeptical is how no one gained the prize that James Randi offered for proving any supernatural powers.
You're quite hostile.

I got a right to be hostile, man, my people been persecuted!

Quote from: mr marcus
I believe 100% ... that a lot of "spiritual" stuff really happens, it just may not be due to the causes that mystics speak.

But even if there is only neuron activity, I will never deny mysticism because it can be useful and it can be explained by the brain alone.
You're right on the money with this line of thought.  When people refer to things like mystical / spiritual / paranormal etc. experiences, they are discussing real phenomena.  They're just not what most people think they are.  There are rational / logical /scientific explanations for all these phenomena, and as I've said before, any of them can be experienced with greater orders of magnitude using mind altering substances.

Quote from: mr marcus
I believe 100% ... that a lot of "spiritual" stuff really happens, it just may not be due to the causes that mystics speak.

You're right on the money with this line of thought.  When people refer to things like mystical / spiritual / paranormal etc. experiences, they are discussing real phenomena.  They're just not what most people think they are.  There are rational / logical /scientific explanations for all these phenomena, and as I've said before, any of them can be experienced with greater orders of magnitude using mind altering substances.

Except for things like moving objects with the mind, materialization of objects and other things (since you mentioned the paranormal. Because I know a priest who runs a institue for studying such phenomena, and he really believes it exists. But he is also a skeptical.)

I wouldn't know about telepathy but I read LSD can induce it.
You're quite hostile.

I got a right to be hostile, man, my people been persecuted!

Except for things like moving objects with the mind, materialization of objects and other things (since you mentioned the paranormal. Because I know a priest who runs a institue for studying such phenomena, and he really believes it exists. But he is also a skeptical.)
Telekinesis and other related phenomena are usually just out and out hoaxes.  See James Randi's Project Alpha.

I wouldn't know about telepathy but I read LSD can induce it.
Well, there are people who THINK they're telepathic when they do LSD.  I've never experienced this while tripping but I suspect it can simply be explained through non-verbal communication (e.g. body language, etc).  To contextualize this, you also have to understand that people on LSD can think anything from "I'm God" to "I can fly."  I once took acid and thought I could see through people's clothes.