Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Today's College Students Lack Empathy

Today's College Students Lack Empathy
May 28, 2010, 11:07:24 PM
College students today are less likely to "get" the emotions of others than their counterparts 20 and 30 years ago, a new review study suggests.

Specifically, today's students scored 40 percent lower on a measure of empathy than their elders did.

"Many people see the current group of college students - sometimes called 'Generation Me' - as one of the most self-centered, narcissistic, competitive, confident and individualistic in recent history," said Konrath, who is also affiliated with the University of Rochester Department of Psychiatry.

Konrath's colleague graduate student Edward O'Brien added, "It's not surprising that this growing emphasis on the self is accompanied by a corresponding devaluation of others."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20100528/sc_livescience/todayscollegestudentslackempathy

Heads all screwed up by equality and liberalism, which conflate to ME ME ME FIRST.

Re: Today's College Students Lack Empathy
May 28, 2010, 11:18:51 PM
Most lack intelligence, most teachers are incompetent as well :\  More than half of all the courses at college are BS, and the subjects you think are good, like politics, psychology, sociology, law are all useless - the sciences are a little better and tend to contradict everything that is taught by the liberal marxist bs just down the corridor. Everything is a checklist of answers, just punching in the same old memes, anything that explains the same process in a different symbol is immediately 'wrong'.

Most things should be self taught, college is just a hipster haven for students to look cool and compete over who has the most friends and too busy planning how pissed they're going to get at the weekend. Also, don't know about america, but in the UK, the colleges are full of retards that run down the corridor with their shoes in their mouth screaming NUUUURGHHHH, followed by a frail old social worker who believes onto death that they have the 'right' to a job in society - they might aswell just shoot them and do the job themselves! Education for all.. haha..

May 28, 2010, 11:41:29 PM
Quote from: Conservationist
Heads all screwed up by equality and liberalism, which conflate to ME ME ME FIRST.
Don't forget social networking, the cult of personality media, and the self esteem movement.

Narcissism is a growing psychological trend in today's society.
See if you're a narcissist.

May 29, 2010, 01:18:53 PM
Don't forget social networking, the cult of personality media, and the self esteem movement.

All consequences of liberal focus on the individual, not the society at large.

May 29, 2010, 02:07:16 PM

What a load of bullshit.  Most of those questions were a matter of circumstance.

May 29, 2010, 04:53:31 PM
All consequences of liberal focus on the individual, not the society at large.
I buy that for the self esteem (bowel) movement and largely for social networking, but cults of personality arise in all sorts of environments and societies.  I think it's a natural human tendency.

What a load of bullshit.  Most of those questions were a matter of circumstance.
Uh-oh, you've criticized something I linked to and called it bullshit.  According to forum precedent, I must now shit my pants and throw a hissy fit.

May 29, 2010, 05:31:37 PM
Uh-oh, you've criticized something I linked to and called it bullshit.  According to forum precedent, I must now shit my pants and throw a hissy fit.

Uh-oh, you've called me out on my faggotry and are proceeding in a manner reflective of the status quo.

All's well that ends well, I suppose.

May 29, 2010, 06:02:49 PM
Quote from: Cargest
Uh-oh, you've called me out on my faggotry and are proceeding in a manner reflective of the status quo.

All's well that ends well, I suppose.
Sorry, I should have been more clear.  I wasn't criticizing you, actually you made a good point.  It's just that people have gone apeshit on me before for using terms like "bullshit."  I was just trying to rile them up.  Didn't mean to come off the way I did.

May 29, 2010, 08:16:59 PM

Narcissism is a growing psychological trend in today's society.

It was Andy Warhol who said that "In the future, everyone will be world-famous for 15 minutes". Somehow, Internet is making it real.

It's just that people have gone apeshit on me before for using terms like "bullshit."  I was just trying to rile them up.  

Mission accomplished :@

May 30, 2010, 12:25:04 AM
Sorry, I should have been more clear.  I wasn't criticizing you, actually you made a good point.  It's just that people have gone apeshit on me before for using terms like "bullshit."  I was just trying to rile them up.  Didn't mean to come off the way I did.

Sorry, I should have been more clear.  I love fugue.

May 30, 2010, 02:15:36 AM
Quote from: Cargest
I love fugue.
Fugue packer...

Quote from: Octuple
Mission accomplished :@
I antogonize out of love 8====D

May 30, 2010, 02:39:49 PM
I buy that for the self esteem (bowel) movement and largely for social networking, but cults of personality arise in all sorts of environments and societies.  I think it's a natural human tendency.

One that always ends in liberal ideology.

Liberalism is not the cause of social pressures outweighing knowledge, it's the result of it -- the justification for it.

May 30, 2010, 02:49:10 PM
Quote from: Conservationist
One that always ends in liberal ideology.
Not really.  Would you call Saddam Hussein liberal?

June 07, 2010, 05:39:57 PM
Saddam Hussein was liberal for his society. That's why the U.S. supported him. OMG he shaves!!!

June 08, 2010, 04:01:48 PM
This forum member, most likely a student himself, admitted he had difficulties experiencing "empathy". His thoughts triggered an interesting discussion:

http://www.anus.com/metal/hall/index.php/topic,8991.0.html