Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

ATHEIST To Enter Studio In July

ATHEIST To Enter Studio In July
May 28, 2010, 11:23:32 PM
Reactivated seminal technical metal pioneers ATHEIST will enter LedBelly  studios in Atlanta, Georgia on July 5 to begin recording their long-awaited, as-yet-untitled fourth album. Engineering the session will be Matt Washburn. Additionally, the band has secured the services of one of metal's most significant talents of the past decade, Jason Suecof (TRIVIUM, CHIMAIRA, DEVILDRIVER), to handle the mixing of what promises to be a modern classic from the pioneers of technical metal.

Re: ATHEIST To Enter Studio In July
May 28, 2010, 11:34:00 PM
Old news, but related to the topic:

We're going to record a blazing cover of the brilliant YYZ from Rush [on the new album].  As you all know we have long been fans of rush, and we know this cover is a bit outside the box of what most metal bands do.  But then again as a band we are very outside the box of what most metal bands do. And I can confirm that it will fucking destroy, and when people hear flynn/s version of this tune....He renders me speechless, he has always claimed Neil Peart as a major influence, and so it makes perfect sense to cover this amazing piece of music. i thought I would share that with you, along with the fact that we are working hard on compiling the riffs that will soon set the technical metal world on their asses. We will not rest till we have made the record that we and you all hope for when listening to technical metal.  It will be a punishing, brutal display of all we have to give..... rest assured there will not be one stitch of vaginal metal on this motherfucker!  And then in 2009 we're coming for your brains fuckers! Horns to the motherfucking sky! Atheist 2009!

http://www.officialatheist.com/

May 29, 2010, 01:21:01 AM
Sadly Jason has made an error in his move to produce such utter shit. Capharnaum, was his best ever. What a fucking shame he lowers himself like this . Oh well indeed a spear to the chest is needed...

July 13, 2010, 12:59:47 AM
In short: new album title = Jupiter

After 17 years, the wait is finally over. The pioneers of technical metal, ATHEIST are entrenched in LedBelly recording studios in Atlanta, GA with engineer Matt Washburn laying down the tracks down on their long-awaited fourth studio album. The album title has just been revealed to BraveWords.com and will be called Jupiter.

According to a studio update from vocalist Kelly Shaefer, "we are almost done with guitars and vocals, and we start mixing with the tone goblin himslef Jason Suecof (TRIVIUM, CHIMAIRA, DEVILDRIVER) in Orlando, FL on July 15th."

Shaefer is hopeful that Jupiter will see the light of day in November and will be followed by a world tour in 2011.

Shaefer remarked recently: "We have been working our asses off for a year and have taken great strides to make this the record we, as fans, would want to hear from Atheist. It's ferocious, intelligent, and dead balls heavy as shit! When people hear this they're going to say, 'it's Atheist!'"

Atheist 2010 also features drummer Steve Flynn (also GNOSTIC), bassist Tony Choy, guitarist Chris Baker (also Gnostic) and guitarist Jonathan Thompson (Gnostic bassist).

http://www.bravewords.com/news/142498

July 13, 2010, 06:13:53 PM
Shaefer is why I won't smoke.

July 14, 2010, 01:05:30 PM
I would be stunned if this did not suck. The failure of these bands, Cynic, Atheist, etc., is simple - they were talented, technically proficient young Metal bands who flirted with Jazz, Prog, etc. Now they are aging Prog, Jazz, etc. bands who flirt with metal. This formula just doesn't hold up and does not work for me at all. I so wish this whole techno-noodling renaissance would die and die soon - the scent of AIDS hangs heavy all around it.     

July 14, 2010, 01:47:19 PM
I'm guessing Atheist is simply responding to a belated interest in their music, although I don't doubt that the latest release will sound more like a gimmick than an intelligent stab at the unknown.

As for Cynic, I wouldn't doubt that its current efforts are merely Paul Masvidal getting in his last words, especially since the other band members already have through Aghora, Portal, Gordian Knot, and the Sean Malone band (not to mention a number of cameo appearances).   

July 28, 2010, 04:53:22 AM
The only way atheist could keep from disgracing themselves with this new album would be doing the exact opposite of what everyone expects and wants from it - A heavy, blasting, simple, violent album. Once they have looked at creation and saw beauty. Now it is time to do the same with destruction.

July 28, 2010, 12:56:49 PM
So you want them to become the AUTOPSY of the 90's in order to reclaim their throne at the top of progressive metal?  Aside from the fact that your statement doesn't make sense, couldn't you say that about any metal group that's still kicking around?  (They won't be worthwhile unless they fill a niche metal lacks at the moment.)  

I'm expecting ELEMENTS pt II will have an unusually long track, and I don't expect the end result to be good.  But Atheist gone grindish or old school simplistic?  That'd be even worse!  Plus we already have their fractured take on that brand of metal in the pre-Piece of Time demos.

August 05, 2010, 04:37:39 PM
ATHEIST  have parted ways with bassist Tony Choy. Freshly done with the recording sessions of their fourth studio album "Jupiter", the band wrote the following (shortened) statement: "When we came together to write again, it was an obvious choice, for several reasons, to try and continue in what has been our touring line-up. We've had such a great time together on the road for the past four years. We're all great friends, and all of us were working peacefully towards the completion of the album. Therefore it hit us very unexpectedly when Tony called one day and informed us that he would not record with us. What's worse is that this happened only four weeks prior to our confirmed studio date. This left us in a very unfortunate position and without a choice. Although we are quite angry with him for this extremely late, and inconsiderate, change of heart, we have no desire to let this become personal or start some public feud. We simply want to be sure the facts are out there so we can get on with writing and playing music. As with previous classic ATHEIST material, Tony had not contributed to the writing of "Jupiter" in any significant way, so we did not have to start over. Also, we had no intention to accept any further delay caused by Tony, especially since there was already an extremely talented young musician in our ranks: Jonathan Thompson (guitar). Not only did Jonathan do his intricate guitar lines flawlessly on "Jupiter", but as a huge fan of Roger's work, he also wrote and performed the very impressive and original bass lines on this album as well. That is quite a story in itself. Tony may tour with ATHEIST, but for now it shall suffice that rather than settle for some random guy, we went with the best and kept it in the family."  - Kelly Shaefer and Steven Flynn on behalf of ATHEIST.

http://www.voicesfromthedarkside.de/

September 07, 2010, 05:26:13 AM
Follow the link below for a brief audio sample and an image of the album cover for their upcoming release:

LINK

September 07, 2010, 05:36:24 AM
Follow the link below for a brief audio sample and an image of the album cover for their upcoming release:

LINK

It's not as bad as I thought it was going to be, honestly.