Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Scheduled for demolition to make room for wilderness

Not quite there, but, brownfields and land revitilization:

Brownfields are real property, the expansion, redevelopment, or reuse of which may be complicated by the presence or potential presence of a hazardous substance, pollutant, or contaminant. Cleaning up and reinvesting in these properties protects the environment, reduces blight, and takes development pressures off greenspaces and working lands.

http://www.epa.gov/brownfields/index.html

Common examples are abandoned gas stations and dry cleaners, railroad properties, factories and closed military bases.

• No one knows exactly how many brownfields there are; estimates range from 400,000 to more than a million in the United States alone.
  • As much as $2 trillion of real estate may be undervalued due to the presence of contamination.
  • Between 5,000 and 10,000 people make their livelihood in the brownfield market.
  • Environmental hazards are estimated to be present at 20-50% of all industrial real estate properties.

http://www.brownfieldassociation.org/AboutUs/BrownfieldDefinition.aspx

Good. We should reclaim this land, and seize any undeveloped land, to preserve its natural character.

Then we should clear out the ghettoes and ship everyone in them to Africa, Asia or the middle east.

Get rid of the failed and replace it with trees. Reclaim the dead suburbs and inner cities.

That always was my favorite flyer. No explanations, no long texts, just that one sentence. Very black metal in a sense: it is what it is, and it's up to the reader to find out more if he desires to understand it.

That always was my favorite flyer. No explanations, no long texts, just that one sentence. Very black metal in a sense: it is what it is, and it's up to the reader to find out more if he desires to understand it.
I wonder what topic you mean to post that in...

Oh sorry, to clarify, I was referring to the title of this thread. See http://www.anus.com/etc/fliers/

Good. We should reclaim this land, and seize any undeveloped land, to preserve its natural character.

Then we should clear out the ghettoes and ship everyone in them to Africa, Asia or the middle east.

Get rid of the failed and replace it with trees. Reclaim the dead suburbs and inner cities.

Not everyone in ghettos is black, asian, or middle eastern.

Just saying.

I've always liked this flier too. Anyway, remediation and decommissioning of brownfield sites definitely seems a career that people here should probably consider. I, for one, plan on using my degree in environmental engineering to do exactly this sort of work, or perhaps work on environmental emergencies (Gulf oil disaster, groundwater contamination, etc.). All environmental disasters from anthropogenic sources can be attributed to these disasters being extraneous: when determining whether a project should be undergone, the costs associated with disasters are not considered, as the chances of them occurring are low and far into the future (time value of money).

A documentary relevant to everyone's interests: Life After People (2008). You can probably watch it on Google Video.

...We should reclaim this land, and seize any undeveloped land, to preserve its natural character.
...we should clear out the ghettoes and ship everyone in them to Africa, Asia or the middle east.

we should, we should, we should...but we won't