Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

GRIDLINK recording "Orphan"

GRIDLINK recording "Orphan"
June 04, 2010, 12:06:07 AM
Extreme metal and grindcore veterans from Discordance Axis  (frontman Jon Chang and guitarist Steve Procopio), Japan's Mortalized  (guitarist Takafumi Matsubara), Phobia (drummer Bryan Fajardo (also in Kill the Client)) and Human Remains (bassist Ted Patterson) are holed up at Technical Ecstasy Studios in New Jersey to record 'Orphan,' the follow-up to their 2008 debut 'Amber Gray' as Gridlink.

http://www.noisecreep.com/2010/06/03/gridlink-orphan-new-album/

Re: GRIDLINK recording "Orphan"
June 28, 2010, 02:18:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otyZ9UIDB7w

First 15 seconds of title track on new record.

July 05, 2010, 04:40:35 PM
Why not put Discordance Axis in the Dark Legions Archive?

November 05, 2011, 06:38:36 AM
This album was released in March 2011. Has anyone heard it? Any thoughts?

November 05, 2011, 09:53:05 PM
You know, I've been listening to this little album since the day it came out, and I have to say that it's a better album overall than their debut. Their debut had more instant "wow factor," because it was so unlike anything I'd heard before (I think someone on here called it "blistercore"; very accurate), but it seems like their sophomore album is more carefully written and subtle.

A lot of these crazy spazz-grind people seem to write songs that distract the listener rather than engage them, but GridLink really takes the idea of "microsymphonies" and runs with it. All of the songs (including the seven-second early Napalm Death-style outburst in the middle of the album) appear to be arranged really carefully, with multiple movements and transitions that were clearly tweaked and polished to perfection during the three year gap between albums.

The '80s crossover thrash influence isn't there as much as it was on their debut, but they've filled in that gap with what sounds a lot like '90s black metal, particularly on "Embers, Blood, and Treasure," my favorite song on the album. A bit of the old weirdness/dissonance that characterized Discordance Axis' guitar playing has wormed its way back into the melodies, and to go along with that, Chang's started mixing up growls with his screams again.

In short, if you liked Amber Gray, pick this one up, because it's a definite upgrade. This song gives you a pretty good indication of what you're in for.

November 06, 2011, 02:44:46 AM
You sold me, Chapel. Will grab this. "Amber Gray" is still a mainstay in my listening habits.

Personally, everything I've heard that involves John Chang is of outstanding musical quality.

EDIT: Here's the first half of the album - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIlfWNigfYY&NR=1

Why not put Discordance Axis in the Dark Legions Archive?

I must advocate for this.