Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Turkey bans Google

Turkey bans Google
June 05, 2010, 11:35:23 AM
The Google accessibility problems started Thursday night where several Internet users in Turkey were unable to access Google.com.tr or suffered serious delays in the pages and services being uploaded.

It is alleged that due to several countries around the world banning popular Internet sites such as Google owned YouTube, Google have changed the IP addresses of YouTube to ones used by Google to try and tackle the problem. Over this procedure by Google, the Telecommunication and communication Ministry in Turkey has blocked certain IP address belonging to Google in an attempt to stop accessibility to YouTube. So in other words while trying to stop accessibility to YouTube, Google is having a knock on effect.

This latest Internet censorship has been met with outrage in Turkey. Many had already criticized the blocking of YouTube but with Google, Turkey’s most used Internet Search engine and site having problems, Turkish Internet users are planning to protest.

The banning may also have an effect on the growing economy of Turkey as several businesses are also expected to be affected by this decision by TIB, as many depend on Google for customers.

YouTube was banned in the country after several complaints by users after video’s insulting Mustafa Kemal Ataturk, the founder of modern Turkey, which is an offence in the country were uploaded on the popular Video Sharing Website.

http://www.nationalturk.com/en/breaking-news-first-youtube-now-google-being-banned-in-turkey-425724574

smart move or stupid?

Re: Turkey bans Google
June 05, 2010, 12:46:00 PM
I understand the sentiment, but banning something so easily accessible can hardly be expected to work.

June 05, 2010, 08:47:16 PM
Some Chinese exchange students laughed when I asked about 'censorship' in their homeland, as none of the measures actually work.  Basically, if you're productive enough to own a computer and pay for internet access, you're certainly capable of outsmarting censorship measures.

June 05, 2010, 10:24:38 PM
This is stupid.  The justification for the banning is retarded, and it won't work anyway.

June 06, 2010, 01:33:16 AM
Generally, quality information (unlike goods and organisms) should flow unrestrained. Is Google in balance returning quality information for making Turks a better group or is it overall an Americanization vector flowing into traditional Turkdom? Ponder, ponder.
”The Revolution ends by devouring its own children” – Jacques Mallet du Pan, 1793

June 06, 2010, 05:06:14 AM
Mustafa Kemal Ataturk is a fag who sucks dicks.
There, now ANUS is banned in Turkey. Gobble, gobble, gobble.

June 06, 2010, 05:51:29 AM
Generally, quality information (unlike goods and organisms) should flow unrestrained. Is Google in balance returning quality information for making Turks a better group or is it overall an Americanization vector flowing into traditional Turkdom? Ponder, ponder.
The latter, since universalization of information is itself a very Western concept.
HE WHO REAPS STORMS, SOWS WINDS. HE WHO SOWS WINDS, REAPS STORMS.

"It is better to go to a house of mourning than to go to a house of feasting, for death is the destiny of every man; the living should take this to heart."
-Ecclesiastes 7:2

June 06, 2010, 10:10:25 AM
The latter, since universalization of information is itself a very Western concept.

But should it still be available? In my opinion, yes.

Also, the ban wasn't issued in defense of traditional turkeydom, but to counter slander against Atatürk, who is concidered the father of "Modern Turkey" i.e westernizing the country.

June 06, 2010, 12:47:24 PM
Why should it be available? Because everybody needs to know everything?

"It is better to go to a house of mourning than to go to a house of feasting, for death is the destiny of every man; the living should take this to heart."

June 06, 2010, 03:51:40 PM
Why should it be available? Because everybody needs to know everything?

No, because if people WANT to know something, they should be able to get an answer provided they put in the effort to get one.

Libraries are another resource for this, but may not contain all of the answers one may desire. That's why the internet is a valuable means.
No.

Having reviewed the thread, baby Jesus is most definitely weeping at this point.

June 06, 2010, 04:48:19 PM
That's a very minor distinction; I'd say it's no distinction at all, that it's the same thing. I'd say that not everyone is equal, thus not everyone needs to be given the same opportunities. Neither to become a nation's leader nor to learn about nuclear physics.

However, to employ advocacy for the devil - even if the universality of information were indeed a God-given "right," conflating libraries with the internet is short-sighted. A library requires some actual effort to use; you have to set time aside to get there, you have to behave in a respectful manner once you are there, and if you're checking anything out, you need a membership. The internet provides the same information in a manner that mindless twats can, and do, use it with wild abandon(as evidenced by, by this point, any website that provides discussion among its users). In this capacity, the fact it provides even more information than a library, makes it WORSE than a library.

June 06, 2010, 06:02:17 PM
Not everyone is equal, true. But would you deny those who WANT to learn access to information? I wouldn't. Hell, I've met very few people nowadays who ACTUALLY want to do something. What you seem to be alluding to is counter productive.

A library has much in common with the internet; indeed most libraries nowadays have internet-ready computers. The code of conduct and mannerisms are much different, with good reason.

My argument is - don't penalize the smart at the expense of the stupid.
No.

Having reviewed the thread, baby Jesus is most definitely weeping at this point.

June 06, 2010, 10:17:15 PM
The intertard is mostly gibberish, ads, lies, and propaganda, not quality information. This is because, unlike libraries, another factor is at work and that is indiscriminate end user input. wikipaedophilia is an example
”The Revolution ends by devouring its own children” – Jacques Mallet du Pan, 1793

June 07, 2010, 12:19:45 AM
I understand the sentiment, but banning something so easily accessible can hardly be expected to work.

Agreed. A better approach would be to set up a "safe" search engine, and then gradually interfere with traffic to Google so that the new search engine is easier to use.

June 07, 2010, 02:53:50 AM
My argument is - don't penalize the smart at the expense of the stupid.
That's lovely, but your arguments make it sound closer to "don't penalize those who want to be smart at the expense of those who don't." Which, despite being a subtle difference on its surface, is worlds away in execution. In addition, there's a lot more to good character than intelligence; I'd say the vast majority of people engaging in useless debates over things like the definition of what a television tower is are quite a bit more intelligent than the average, as befits ass-pies. Also, TERRORISTS!