Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Stupidity or lack of interest?

Stupidity or lack of interest?
June 06, 2010, 06:02:45 PM
Excuse me if this post seems a little chaotic, Iím going to try to present you a theory Iíve been developing.

First lets say intelligence depends on three factors: ability, availability and interest. Seems fairly obvious doesnít it? Ability = you can understand it, i.e. youíre not retarded. Availability = the information and profession is available in your country, i.e. your surroundings have offered you decent education facilities and jobs. Interest = you actually care about your surroundings and the world.

I always disagreed with the notion that knowledge equals wisdom. Thereís simply too much useless knowledge out there for this to be true. Somebody could tell you every detail about the Star Trek galaxy but he canít fix flat tire. Another person might be able to fix your flat tire (and the rest of your bike) but he doesnít know anything about Star Trek. Knowing how to fix a bike might require less brainmatter than remembering every Star Trek episode ever but Iíd dare say that knowing how to fix a tire is more useful than knowing the wedding ceremonies that Klingons have. With that little example we can see how interest wins over intelligence.

So unless youíre a drooling retard or live in a third world country with extremely poor education standards you have options. Either from a young age you developed strong interests and educated yourself (either through official channels such as school or unofficial channels such as your local library or using the internet) or you shut your brain out somehow and blocked all useful information in favor of remembering the details of your favorite soap series, song lyrics, conspiracies, you name it.

Still seems pretty obvious doesnít it? Well, Iíve had this idea for years and never really bothered telling anyone about it because I thought it was too simple. But lately Iím starting to realize more and more how deep this actually goes. Letís look at IQ tests. IQ tests donít test your knowledge, they test your ability to process complex information. But you can still have an advantage: the more previous experience you have in processing complex information then the easier it becomes to finish the IQ test sooner and get a higher score. However if you never had an interest in mathematics or solving complex issues you will lack experience and as such get a lower score (even if during the test it turns out you have a talent for these things you still would have scored higher if you had experience)

So it raises the following question: why do people lose interest? Well, I have a theory about that too: itís because of depression. There are probably many side effects such as insecurity and anger but I think they all boil down to depression. Somebody who is depressed doesnít care about the world. Sure, they might pretend to care about the world (ďIím depressed because little animals sufferĒ) but what they really are is self-obsessed otherwise theyíd be out trying to fix the world (as a side-note: there are lots of delusional people in the ďresistanceĒ as well. Pretending to be a rebel can be a huge ego boost after all, a type of ego boost that only depressed people crave for)

So what causes their depression? If people suffer from a bad combination of chemicals in their brains that they were born with then letís just put them under the ďdrooling retardĒ classification. They canít help themselves and we canít really help them. But most people who are depressed are so because itís their regular mood: they simply wake up depressed and during the day nothing can grab their interest enough to make them crawl out of their shell for a long period. The cause of their depression can vary. TV and other media feeds self-obsessions by giving people illusions about life and themselves. But it can also be bad friends, bad families, bad teachers, etc.

Unless people snap out of this circle and pursue useful and real interests they are doomed. Sadly this ultimately goes for most of the human race. It also raises a discussion about what exactly is useful and real. But I just wanted to see if I can get any feedback on this simple theory how lack of interest leads to stupidity more than anything else and what exactly causes this lack of interest. More and more I'm starting to see it as a big problem of the information age. Stupid people are just uninterested, misinformed and wallowing in their own drama. But most of them had (and a few still have) the ability to be smart. A sad loss.

NHA

Re: Stupidity or lack of interest?
June 06, 2010, 10:17:04 PM
Knowing how to fix a bike might require less brainmatter than remembering every Star Trek episode ever but Iíd dare say that knowing how to fix a tire is more useful than knowing the wedding ceremonies that Klingons have. With that little example we can see how interest wins over intelligence.
Even the feebleminded have the capacity to store massive amounts of information. Since the utility for any given database of information depends entirely on context, there no doubt exists a handful of jobs that could make use of encyclopaedic knowledge of fictional universes. The scope and general utility of such knowledge however is another story.

So it raises the following question: why do people lose interest? Well, I have a theory about that too: itís because of depression. There are probably many side effects such as insecurity and anger but I think they all boil down to depression. Somebody who is depressed doesnít care about the world.
Someone who derives no true pleasure in the small joys of life must find it elsewhere, this has a lot to do with a persons character. Suffering can become a catalyst in the producing of great things, pleasure can as well. However, pleasure seeking often contains a trap for the weak of character that leads to superficiality and passivity. You can see this dynamic play out in the comparison of the approaches taken by Michelangelo and Leonardo da Vinci to their lives. Michelangelo suffered while da Vinci indulged, yet both were genius. You can also see it in a larger scale, but to a lesser extent, in the so called "northern" versus "southern" temperaments.

Self obsession and narcissism aren't problems in themselves, I think that most great men in history placed themselves above all others. The problem comes when the nobodies of the world think they are something special (a variation of the "too many chiefs not enough Indians" problem I suppose - except here 90% of the chiefs are incompetent haha). The cultural and political climate is probably the biggest factor contributing to this type of shit. A friend of mine, who used to live in former Yugoslavia when it was leaning towards communism, had an amusing story related to some administrative bullshit. Basicly, they had a board of people making decisions for a school and the law required that all the workers be equally represented. So, naturally the person causing the most trouble on the board was a cleaning lady (because of course its so unfair that professors are being paid more etc). It got to the point where they had to threaten her, just to be able to get basic work done without her constantly trying to derail shit.

Re: Stupidity or lack of interest?
June 07, 2010, 12:21:35 AM
So it raises the following question: why do people lose interest? Well, I have a theory about that too: itís because of depression.

I agree, but I think it's something more abstract than depression: it's a lack of belief in efficacy in life, or that life will produce good things. The result is compensatory behavior including depression, greed and liberalism. They hate life, IMHO, because they find it disturbing that their place in it is so transient, small and insignificant.

Nihilism is an innoculation, of course, but only for the smart.