Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

THE MISFITS- "Earth A.D."

THE MISFITS- "Earth A.D."
June 08, 2010, 06:56:24 AM
I'm still wondering why this hasn't been discussed yet. Sure, it's punk. Hardcore punk. Nay, nearly Thrash. Or is it more? Lets find out...

Black Flag contributes to the proginators of the Hardcore Punk genre. At the time of this recording, The Misfits had drafted Robo, drummer of Black Flag into their fold, bringing a fresh drumming ethic into their creative medium. The year 1983 saw a drastic, feral change to The Misfits with all things considered.

A proper frame of reference will see one of the best examples of musical maturity.

This album presents micro-songs, in the due punk fashion, blasted forth with a bpm rate that is dangerously close to Slayer's "Hell Awaits." Guitar technique uses disharmonies (Slayer), Nihilistic power chord churning, morbid thematics (Slayer), Crash cymbol usage in what would later appear in Speed Metal drumming similar to "Altar of Sacrifice," and ghoulish face paint aesthetic closer to what would come to be "Corpse Paint" than ever before.

This album rips forth and is over shortly after the 20 minute mark... yet it it remains the least popularized "The Misfits" album and for what reason? From what I can tell, this recording influenced more Hardcore Punk and Metal than anything else they've ever produced... keep in mind this was a rushed SECOND recording of the album that we can purchase.

The rumor is that the original Earth AD reel-to-reel master, which sounded similar to the previous "The Misfits" efforts was lost in a Taxi returning from NYC. As a result of adhering to time constrains, record label deadlines, and a mid-tour effort on sleep deprivation... the Earth AD in which we know of today was laid down in two nights. Faster, simpler songs were manifested due to lack of recording time while Glenn Danzig slept in the back room of the studio, and a harsher vocal track was recorded the following day due to anger, frustration, lack of any motivation to sound pleasing because of the situation.

In the end, four men's half-assed, pissed off productivity gave us one of the most bloodthirsty albums of all time.
This belongs in EVERY Hessian's collection as a precursor to morbid, fast music.

Re: THE MISFITS- "Earth A.D."
June 08, 2010, 01:36:41 PM
Any Misfits record with Danzig is worth it to track down. Some of the best punk music ever recorded.

June 08, 2010, 09:49:24 PM
For anyone who hasn't listened to the album, I'm a little more partial to Samhain - Initium, compared to Danzig's Misfits work, which is also excellent.

June 12, 2010, 01:44:21 PM
I actually d'loaded this on national Slayer day and listened to it in my car on the way to drop my girl back home. I've seen this referenced since Metallica in the 80s and never bothered with it due to the fact that:

a) Static Age is possibly the greatest punk rock'n'roll album ever made

b) Walk Among Us is fucking hideous and made me believe that anything post Static Age was wothless garbage

Earth AD is indeed a venomous listen and clearly highly influential on "Extreme Music". Static Age, however, is simply incomparable but for entirely different reasons. The combination of 50s influenced punk and B movie/ trashy horror aesthetic is unbeatable!

I need to check out more Samhain admittedly. The first 3 Danzig albums too are excellent. Before he started wearing pentagram adorned PVC tops the man was a fuggin' creative whirlwind. The track he wrote for Roy Orbison on the Less Than Zero soundtrack blows me away every time I hear it. I strongly reccomend anyway who enjoys Danzig's 50s obsession ala Blood and Tears and Sistinas checks it out!

December 24, 2012, 05:14:32 AM
This album presents micro-songs, in the due punk fashion, blasted forth with a bpm rate that is dangerously close to Slayer's "Hell Awaits." Guitar technique uses disharmonies (Slayer), Nihilistic power chord churning, morbid thematics (Slayer), Crash cymbol usage in what would later appear in Speed Metal drumming similar to "Altar of Sacrifice," and ghoulish face paint aesthetic closer to what would come to be "Corpse Paint" than ever before.

I'm necroposting this to ask...has anybody seen extreme metal bands cite the Misfits, and 'Earth A.D.' specifically?  The guitars are a richly suffocating miasma, tendrils of feedback slinking at every turn, and such gruesome lyrics.

This was the first album I heard that was anywhere close to extreme (in like 1993), truly scary shit that you DON'T want parents finding!  It was the first thing I thought of when I heard Black Metal and Death Metal a decade later.