Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Computer time management tools

Computer time management tools
June 11, 2010, 08:40:52 AM
I looked for time management tools today, and I've found a really useful browser extension:
LeechBlock for Firefox

LeechBlock is a simple productivity tool designed to block those time-wasting sites that can suck the life out of your working day. All you need to do is specify which sites to block and when to block them.

I admit it: I lack self-control when it comes to exploring the internet and reading news and articles all the time. It's human nature to want to constantly find novelty and new information. But it's become a terrible habit for me, and I'm making steps in the right direction to correct it -- these days, sitting down and reading a book for more than 10 minutes doesn't bring me much satisfaction, and I believe that's a sign of a serious problem.

These kinds of distractions have proven to be crippling to the brain:
Scientists say juggling e-mail, phone calls and other incoming information can change how people think and behave. They say our ability to focus is being undermined by bursts of information.

These play to a primitive impulse to respond to immediate opportunities and threats. The stimulation provokes excitement a dopamine squirt that researchers say can be addictive. In its absence, people feel bored.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/07/technology/07brain.html

I've an idea about blocking all websites after 1 hour total internet use per 12 hours. I could probably use much less time than that and find no problems.

This way I get what I need to do out of the way, and still have just a little bit of time to jack around while still forming a new habit to use this time for more constructive things.