Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Vivid dream/doomsday scenario

Vivid dream/doomsday scenario
June 12, 2010, 05:25:53 PM
I'm not sure if this is the proper place to put this, but I found this interesting so why not. Maybe you guys will too.

Last night I went to sleep and had an extremely vivid dream; so vivid I might as well have been watching it on TV. It made me reflect quite a bit.

The dream began with me living my life as I usually do. I had just got back from the gym when I noticed my family was watching the news upstairs. I joined them to find out that scientists had found a potentially hazardous forthcoming event. It involved the sun. I'm not entirely sure as to what they called it (I think it was a meta-flare) but it basically entailed the sun dispelling large chunks of molten rock into space. The problem would be one hitting Earth, as these chunks were the size of Alaska, easily.

Fast forward a week; life as usual continues for me, going to class, the gym, cooking, doing every day activities, when I come home and again see my whole family watching the news. This time, scientists have proposed a solution to this problem. They were going to blow up the sun. Naturally, there was some negative reactions from certain groups of people, and through the course of the next several dream weeks, there was rioting, a huge increase in crime, massive protests, and the like. But the worlds' governments pooled money to build a gigantic nuclear warhead. It was so large, it dwarfed the largest ones we have today.

Anyway, the launch of this nuke occurred the next week. It was broadcast worldwide on TV, and police at the launch site (which as I remember was in the middle of the deserts of Africa; where of course nothing IMPORTANT lives) had their hands full holding back protesters of every kinds. The nuke launched, but not before burning a substantial hole in the Earth because of its exhaust. I remember that everyone near the launch site was killed or wounded. The nuke flew towards the sun, and crashed. The sun exploded in a fiery burst that blinded those who looked at it. The only thing I remember after this sort of heat/light apocalypse is being separated from my family. As I looked around for them in great distress, the only thing people seemed to be concerned with is why their cell phones had crappy service, and blogging about it on Failbook and other social networking sites.

Ironically, I woke up from the dream when a friend called my cell phone. The whole experience left me shaken up a bit. Unfortunately, the whole thing didn't seem unfeasible.

Re: Vivid dream/doomsday scenario
June 12, 2010, 05:45:10 PM
Quote from: deadite
This time, scientists have proposed a solution to this problem. They were going to blow up the sun.
I couldn't stop laughing once I read this part.  The funniest thing about it is that I could totally see some asshole proposing this with a straight face on CNN or something.

June 15, 2010, 02:15:57 PM
So could I. If I had good writing skills, I would try to turn this into a mini-novel. Seems like it could be used as a lesson to teach the error of constantly acting in the immediate (nuke the sun instead of trying to find an alternate solution).

June 15, 2010, 02:18:32 PM
Quote from: deadite
This time, scientists have proposed a solution to this problem. They were going to blow up the sun.
I couldn't stop laughing once I read this part.  The funniest thing about it is that I could totally see some asshole proposing this with a straight face on CNN or something.

Reminds me of the "Oil spill? Let's use a nuke!" brain surgery that has been going on lately.

Dream synopsis: fear of the bad judgment of a society dedicated to not interacting with its world.

When something goes wrong, they nuke it, and then go back to Facebook/shiny toys/throwing poo.

June 15, 2010, 03:21:28 PM
I like the idea of a primarily gaseous object dispelling large chunks of solid matter.

I read in the newspaper today that Scientists have predicted some ridanculous solar flare shit in 2012/2013, which will gradually fuck shit up.  Looks like those Mayans were right.

June 15, 2010, 04:27:07 PM
I've had an eerily similar dream like this before. It wasn't quite as vivid, but it definitely shakes you up when you awaken in a world that isn't so far off from forming the same insane solutions to a somewhat difficult problem as played out in your dreamworld and a neurotic population who are distracted by technology.

July 02, 2010, 08:54:37 PM
I had the same fucking dream last-night!  It was very intense and vivid as well. it was solar flare coming down to earth and you could feel/see its presence everywhere, and it changed the surroundings very quickly, actually the light somewhat blinded you before it arrived making you know its presence even more so.  I had a feeling of disbelief that this was actually happening and I was going to die but even more so that everything else was going to be turned into molten as well(no legacy of anything)..hard to explain.  I even pondered what It will be like when the inevitable happened.  I also checked out Google news and they had a tracking system for it before it hit earth that you could follow, I eventually just stopped checking and just waited for the inevitable.  I was in utter disbelief in this dream..

This dream has stuck with me and I remember seeing this post a while back and had to find it.  I talked to everyone at work about this dream and ask if they had any similar dreams about the world coming to end as well and they said no. I wonder if Jung has anything on this certain dream

July 02, 2010, 10:25:01 PM
I wonder if Jung has anything on this certain dream

Dunno, but to me it sounds like a dream that's equal parts wishful thinking and horror.

July 03, 2010, 01:05:06 AM
Seems like it could be used as a lesson to teach the error of constantly acting in the immediate (nuke the sun instead of trying to find an alternate solution).

That's one thing that sets us apart from the other lifeforms. When a threat is perceived, we may mostly, but we don't only formulate fight or flight responses. By so called thinking outside the box, humans on occasion find interesting, unexpected solutions. That is when we are at our best.

July 03, 2010, 11:36:10 PM
When a threat is perceived, we may mostly, but we don't only formulate fight or flight responses.

What separates us from the lizards: we design our tools FIRST.