Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Metal listening sessions

Re: Metal listening sessions
April 23, 2011, 11:53:14 AM
i do it wherever i want however i want. fuckin when theres pent up energy that needs to be released ill put on som death metal morbid angel or incantation or whatever and become a fucking boss. diomedes fighiting the gods. or if its time for some conceptual realisations ill put on black metal, HLTO or nightside. i become like a fucking seer haha seeing images of the future for me to make a reality fuck yeah.

theres only like i dunno 10 metal albums max i listen to now though. if you listen to more than that then surely you cant be too deeply affected by them lol. so like top5 dm and bm i guess. um yeah so death metal is tank-like outward energy black metal is dream-like inward journeying

ur all a bunch of fags

April 23, 2011, 05:24:42 PM
i do it wherever i want however i want. fuckin when theres pent up energy that needs to be released ill put on som death metal morbid angel or incantation or whatever and become a fucking boss.

thats hilarious.
He who fears the dark, shall never see the light
http://www.last.fm/user/Beastofsodom

April 23, 2011, 07:58:08 PM
I don't see the problem with listening only to a small portion of heavy metal. I only listen to a few death and black metal albums, and the small size of my metal collection has nothing to do with any sort of ascetic ideal, but more so that those are just the only few albums that I like. I'll listen to anything and give it intense consideration, or at least as much as I possibly can, at least once, so if you know of any records I can expand my collection with then let me know.

As far as listening to metal goes, I just listen to the album that I feel like listening to, and only when I have time to hear the album in its entirety.

April 24, 2011, 03:11:31 AM
um yeah so death metal is tank-like outward energy black metal is dream-like inward journeying
This is so true.

Listening to death metal is great rage release, or getting pumped up, even cognitive exercise trying to follow the riffs; however it can shatter an inner-calm. There's exceptions in more ambient DM though, like Asphyx's longer pieces.

Listening to great metal with only half of your attention is pointless. When I'm delivering pizzas, I will rarely listen to extreme metal proper because I only get to listen in short intervals and there's just too much going on. Blasting Legion is the easiest way to miss a turn. Trust me I've learned this the hard way ;)

Soft place on which to lie or sit in lotus.
Interesting -- metal meditation. I'll have to give it a shot. Do you fold up both feet or just one?

April 24, 2011, 03:17:23 AM
For instance, a few times a week i like to go for a walk through one of the local trails(which takes about an hour) and select an album i have never listened to before.  The fresh air,movement and beautiful forestry complements just about any death/black metal album in my opinion.  I also find being outdoors improves the listening experience by keeping the mind totally focused on the music. 

I have had many good experiences like this but now I prefer to walk without music so I can be fully aware of the surroundings. I can think more clearly and it's also the time when my own best ideas will come to me.

I tend to listen to metal in the home envirmonment but it's easy as I live very isolated with no interruptions. I won't listen to more than a few albums at a time otherwise the energy level stagnates, instead I'll move onto TD or something.

If you ever take a trip through the countryside on bicycle bring a walkman and this absurdist but absolute compilation of the diverse works of the Finnish black metal terror that became an abstract and romanticist dark ambient force of origin.

I've always been partial to this idea. Anyone tried it?

April 24, 2011, 05:07:22 AM
I haven't tried that with Beherit, but a few years back, I used to ride around for hours listening to Vikingligr Veldi and The Red in the Sky Is Ours. I listened to other albums as well, of course, but those are the ones that stick in my mind. Something about the really twisted, knotty riffing and the vast spectrum of those albums ranging from complete chaos to subdued ambiance really gelled with aimlessly going up and down hills in my small hometown, and the dense over-hanging canopy of trees meshed with the density of the music to make everything seem almost claustrophobic, but not in a bad way. It's a bit hard to describe. Listen to that opening synthesizer line of the Enslaved album, or all of At the Gates' "Within" in sequence, and see if you can get the same feeling.

April 24, 2011, 06:37:07 AM
When on my own, my preferred method of listening to Metal appears to be one of the more popular ones here - out and about, in wilderness, either walking or observing as my mood/the music dictates.  If this is impossible, in a dark room is a good second best.

Occasionally, I've managed to pull off "group" listening sessions which haven't spiralled into various individuals putting a shedload of tracks on for about two minutes to "get to the good part".  I can remember sitting through entire Burzum, Emperor, Morbid Angel, and Black Sabbath albums, barely talking, passing food/booze/joint around as required.  It's an interesting experience, listening intently to music with other people while in a "comfortable" setting (unlike a concert, be it Metal or Classical).  If anything, the level of trance, and subsequent involvement with the music, is even higher at this point.  It's an unfortunate rarity, since even I'm prone to the "here, check this song out on youtube" mentality.  Pro-tip: no computers, get a record player and vinyl, make it clear that the purpose of the gathering is to listen to a goddamn album, not to fuck around.

May 15, 2011, 01:16:11 AM
I listened to Mortuary's Blackened Images 3 times today walking around in the forest in the pissing rain.  What an ambitious, energetic, piece of old school mexican death metal this is!.  I had not yet read any reviews on this album, other than normally this album gets an A rating from most. If you havent heard this yet i suggest you throw it on sometime.

May 16, 2011, 02:51:01 AM
For instance, a few times a week i like to go for a walk through one of the local trails(which takes about an hour) and select an album i have never listened to before.  The fresh air,movement and beautiful forestry complements just about any death/black metal album in my opinion.  I also find being outdoors improves the listening experience by keeping the mind totally focused on the music.

I have had many good experiences like this but now I prefer to walk without music so I can be fully aware of the surroundings. I can think more clearly and it's also the time when my own best ideas will come to me.

How about going through two or three albums, but with intermissions in between each that last for a half hour or longer in order to adjust and appreciate the surroundings? Such an approach seems the best of both worlds to me. If you play the albums in a particular sequence, you might also be able to have the silence make contextual sense as part of a larger story.

May 16, 2011, 03:42:08 AM
i do it wherever i want however i want. fuckin when theres pent up energy that needs to be released ill put on som death metal morbid angel or incantation or whatever and become a fucking boss.

thats hilarious.

This is now my mantra for listening to metal.
No.

Having reviewed the thread, baby Jesus is most definitely weeping at this point.

May 16, 2011, 03:45:51 AM
Nothing enhances music like beautiful scenery. The other day "Blackened Images" was played three times back to back while i was walking in the pissing rain and it was awesome.  Just to let you all know, I am a fanatic for running through the park, in the rain with no shirt on and headphones in, it is the ultimate connection the ones that give you the oxygen you breathe.  I am fueled by music, it feeds me knowledge and power . I dedicate my soul to invigorating all my senses so i can fully enjoy and appreciate such things like Metal music.

May 16, 2011, 03:46:46 AM

thats hilarious.

This is now my mantra for listening to metal.

ahahhaha i knew somebody would find this as hilarious as i did!

May 16, 2011, 12:25:57 PM
I used to listen to music in the woods, but as I became more strongly invested in both understanding and being involved with the natural world and more serious and intent on the music I was listening to I never mix the two experiences. If I'm in the woods alone I'm trying to expand my awareness, knowledge, and intuitive sense, and I don't need a metal album distracting me from what's happening in the world and dulling my awareness, and if I'm listening to a metal album I don't want many outside influences pulling me out of the experience. I think both listening to music and spending a lot of time offer positive personal enrichment, but they don't enhance each other.

If you're listening to a metal album on your mp3 or cd player to connect with the natural world, you're doing it wrong.

June 02, 2011, 06:35:13 AM
I used to listen to music in the woods, but as I became more strongly invested in both understanding and being involved with the natural world and more serious and intent on the music I was listening to I never mix the two experiences. If I'm in the woods alone I'm trying to expand my awareness, knowledge, and intuitive sense, and I don't need a metal album distracting me from what's happening in the world and dulling my awareness, and if I'm listening to a metal album I don't want many outside influences pulling me out of the experience. I think both listening to music and spending a lot of time offer positive personal enrichment, but they don't enhance each other.

If you're listening to a metal album on your mp3 or cd player to connect with the natural world, you're doing it wrong.
I'm from beautiful Arizona, and one of my favorite things to do is to find a tall hill in the desert with my canteen full of the finest white tea, light a joint of the dankest herb, and play my ukulele.

June 02, 2011, 12:31:27 PM
Lately I've been basically just pulling out 7 or 8 CDs, then keep them out for 3 to 4 weeks, listening to them multiple times but intermittently.  For me, anyway, it's a mistake to listen to an album once, shelve it, then listen to it again 4 months later - even with albums I'm relatively familiar with.
His Majesty at the Swamp / Black Arts Lead to Everlasting Sins / Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism / Oath of Black Blood / Privilege of Evil / Dawn of Possession / In Battle There is No Law / Thousand Swords / To Mega Therion