Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Obnoxiously Great Gothenburg Metal: THE ABYSS

The Swedes have always been my favorites in Black and Death Metal. I think they put the most focus on the narrative composition and riff-based angle in Black/Death Metal while at the same time ironically having a great instrument-aptitude.

With the "Gothenburg" style in question... I am just floored by THE ABYSS. "The Other Side" and "Summon The Beast" on one digipack re-release has become my new fetish. The latter album contains less quality than the first, but still has it's moments when the brilliance of "The Other Side" rears its shining head through the garble of the norsecore.

"The Other Side" is probably the best output from this genre and although the band classifies themselves as purely Black Metal, there is the obvious "Template" (as the ANUS site says) of Gothenburg Melodic Death Metal within that album. If the final product was a Black Metal album, the approach was definitely spiced with DM.

The riffs on that album are so masterfully crafted, and the execution of every instrument is nearly perfect. Necrophobic definitely comes in a close second with these guys as the champions of the genre. Necrophobic being the situation where the final product was Death Metal but was spiced with Black Metal from the appraoch.

EDIT: I've been listening to my new toy all day and I must say that after listening about eight times, "Summoning The Beast" is actually growing on me very much so. However, my tentative explanation is that is flows well within the same packaging as "The Other Side." The songs that follow are clearly inferior- no argument in that category, but there are some riffs and furthermore, songs, on that album (meaning "Summoning The Beast") that are unique and irrefutable in their own right. At the end of the day, I'm glad that it follows "The Other Side" to complete the discogaphy in my edition.

If you're going to purchase one form of THE ABYSS's productivity, I suggest to go for the economically sound, sleak packaging of the double album split.

"I hung there on a cross as you are hanging, and I lived, thanks to circumstances and a stamina peculiar to barbarians. But you civilised men are soft; your lives are not nailed to your spines as are ours. Your fortitude consists mainly in inflicting torment, not in enduring it. You will be dead before sundown." - REH

Is a good album but nothing outstanding,  sounds like ' Hypocrisy ' but at 33rpm compared with their first work "Penetralia" the best of the album is the Hellhammer cover "Massacra" and a few songs imho.

Re: Obnoxiously Great Gothenburg Metal: THE ABYSS
December 01, 2011, 04:41:16 PM
I've listened to this a couple of times, and it sounds quite boring and generic, with several corny moments thrown in. Is this bands music really worth listening to?

December 03, 2011, 05:29:47 PM
The first album is great, although it aimed to be a middle of the road. It has since been ripped off so much that no one post-1998 or so will have any idea why it's important.

The second album? A pile of incoherent shit. Then again, that was when he was starting his studio, so it could have been off-the-cuff.

December 03, 2011, 06:53:35 PM
I've listened to this a couple of times, and it sounds quite boring and generic, with several corny moments thrown in. Is this bands music really worth listening to?

The Other Side is definitely worth listening to. Listen beyond elements of cheese/overemotionality to appreciate it; although I don't share your impression. It's not a groundbreaking work, but it's very good.