Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Evolution

Evolution
June 15, 2010, 08:18:54 PM
Medical care... Is it a bliss, or destroying our own race?

Homo Sapiens has a long way behind itself to become what he is - physically and mentally.

Does our Intelligence actually drive the evolution backwards?

Daily, there are hundreds of thousands of peole who would have died of influenza, hepatitis, Tubercolosis etc.

People use glasses to increase their eyesight, get dentists to correct their teeth etc etc.

Would those people have survived 10000 years ago long enough to reproduce?

I fear the future of those events.

Regards.

Re: Evolution
June 15, 2010, 10:31:38 PM
Replacing adaptation and natural immunities with products and services is clearly dysgenic. The people involved with this across the board must be well aware. But, saving every life makes you popular and in this case reasonably wealthy too, each of which are the two highest values in our modern world.

NHA

June 16, 2010, 01:18:45 AM
Would those people have survived 10000 years ago long enough to reproduce?

Average human life span was 20-30 years for a very long time, its not like our ancestors were tanks. Besides, using a cracked tooth, leading to massive infection and death, is hardly a great benchmark for culling humans.

Even if you exclude eugenics and genetic engineering, sexual selection still plays a big part in where the species is headed.

In any case, northern Europe could stand to implement some programs for tempering the immune systems of their young children. That way they can visit central Africa and not have to worry about getting food poising when eating the anus of a wild boar cooked in the dirt (not to worry, they wring the shit out of it by hand first)[1],

[1] Courtesy of the Travel Channel

June 16, 2010, 01:43:27 AM
Average human life span was 20-30 years for a very long time
Even then, the average human was a peasant. In ancient Sparta for example the Helots always outnumbered the true Spartans. If you read the biographies of the more noble individuals of those times you will find that it wasn't terribly uncommon for them to live into their 60s and some were fortunate enough to live past 80, even.

NHA

June 16, 2010, 04:20:29 AM
Sparta isn't anywhere close to 10,000 years old.

I'd be very surprised if people in the Neolithic and earlier were living to 80.

July 08, 2010, 09:13:46 PM
Sparta isn't anywhere close to 10,000 years old.

I'd be very surprised if people in the Neolithic and earlier were living to 80.

They didn't. Maybe up to 40.

July 10, 2010, 02:07:52 PM

Technology, learning, and social support networks all fall under this criticism as well.

My view is that we have replaced natural selection, or are at least now the vector of natural selection, and so we need to enforce it on ourselves.

Among other things, I don't think we should be applying so much care to the young. If they're not going to make it to age 18, let nature do her work.

HEIL DEATH

July 16, 2010, 03:45:24 PM

Technology, learning, and social support networks all fall under this criticism as well.

My view is that we have replaced natural selection, or are at least now the vector of natural selection, and so we need to enforce it on ourselves.

Among other things, I don't think we should be applying so much care to the young. If they're not going to make it to age 18, let nature do her work.

HEIL DEATH

I know, this idea may seem radical to a "normal" person, glad some people are able to see the whole picture at least.

To extend the whole thing, I have the impression, that even human society is developing backwards in certain regards even.

I somehow have the feeling that everyone is trying to f*** everyone over for their own personal gain. People deny own mistakes, if you can prove them wrong, they either change topic, or get angry.

I feel surrounded by f****** narcistic incompetent arseholes, to put it mildly. Is it just me growing up (I am 27 now) and understanding human society as a whole, or was it always like that?

Edit: language, dunno about moderation. :P

July 21, 2010, 03:31:02 AM
Yeah, it's always like that like gravity is always there. But qualities like strength and inventiveness help pull us up, just as qualities give us better forms of organization to keep the chimps from dragging down the men.

July 21, 2010, 04:11:37 AM
To extend the whole thing, I have the impression, that even human society is developing backwards in certain regards even.

I agree.

We don't have a goal that's outward-facing; we're here to please ourselves, and that leads to us not challenging ourselves at all, thus stagnating.