Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Swedish Christian Death Metal 1990-1994

Swedish Christian Death Metal 1990-1994
June 20, 2010, 01:58:03 PM
I read about this on another forum. Apparently shortly after or during the boom of Swedish death metal there was a smaller movement of christian bands within the Swedish scene. Bands like Crypt of Kerberos, Authorize and Nirvana 2002 were part of that scene. I also heard that Entombed’s old vocalist Lars-Göran Petrov left the band after the first album because the rest of the band had problems with his satanism. I thought this was kind of interesting. Does anybody know of any other christian death metal bands from the swedish scene 1990-94?

Re: Swedish Christian Death Metal 1990-1994
June 20, 2010, 02:22:37 PM
Sounds like a scam to me, based on what little I know of these bands (that Crypt of Kerberos played a gig with Beherit, among others) and from a quick perusal of their available lyrics now. If some of the members happened to hang out with Christians, it sure doesn't seem to have overtaken the entire aesthetic expression of these bands, thus the topic amounts to no much more than gossip about those people's private lives.

June 20, 2010, 06:03:18 PM
I also heard that Entombed’s old vocalist Lars-Göran Petrov left the band after the first album because the rest of the band had problems with his satanism.

I always thought some of the lyrics from the first album, about life going on after death, had a weird Christian vibe. Not saying that means anything. The fact that one band member was of mixed-race (Half English) was bad news too.

June 20, 2010, 08:16:28 PM
There are so many interesting things about this picture:

"I hung there on a cross as you are hanging, and I lived, thanks to circumstances and a stamina peculiar to barbarians. But you civilised men are soft; your lives are not nailed to your spines as are ours. Your fortitude consists mainly in inflicting torment, not in enduring it. You will be dead before sundown." - REH

June 20, 2010, 11:35:21 PM
Never heard of this before. It is useful to remember though, it was hardly uncommon to encounter self-identfying Christians in the scene back in the 80's and early 90's. May sound strange today, but the taboos against total non-belief and Satanism were much more prevalent two decades and more ago.

Still, if there were an actual Christian scene in Swedish DM, I find it hard to believe we would not have heard of this - and I never have. Strange... 

June 21, 2010, 04:36:01 AM
I also heard that Entombed’s old vocalist Lars-Göran Petrov left the band after the first album because the rest of the band had problems with his satanism.

I always thought some of the lyrics from the first album, about life going on after death, had a weird Christian vibe. Not saying that means anything. The fact that one band member was of mixed-race (Half English) was bad news too.

Seems like every other Englishman I come across is mixed-race.  Not saying that's a bad thing because I could care less. Just an observation.