Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Ideas for Middle Earth Compilations

Ideas for Middle Earth Compilations
June 21, 2010, 06:26:44 PM
Middle Earth Compilation Vol. I (The Hobbit)

01 [Wizard recruits homebody for madcap adventure]
02 [Tough cross country trek away from home comforts]
03 Summoning - Elfstone [Rivendell sanctuary]
04 Summoning - Lugburz [mountain trek, goblin town]
05 Summoning - Mirkwood [Mirkwood]
06 Bathory - To Enter Your Mountain [Lonely Mountain]
07 Bathory - Dragon's Breath [wrathful Smaug awoken]
08 Bathory - A Fine Day to Die [defeat of Smaug, 5 armies battle]
09 [Triumph over scum but great hero is lost]
10 [experience reflections, character growth]

Re: Ideas for Middle Earth Compilations
June 21, 2010, 07:48:19 PM
Summoning - Arcenstone, should probably be in there. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZsVifAzbnk&feature=related

I don't really see how My Journey to the Stars fits into the structure of the story.

June 21, 2010, 10:03:04 PM
#9 needs to be Burzum - battle of five armies conclusion, thinking about heading home or thereabouts. I wish another Summoning track would fit, but three is probably even too many. I'm open to totally modified arrangements though. Five bands would be better perhaps.

June 21, 2010, 11:39:43 PM
Absolutely belongs on a theoretical Middle Earth comp:
Unleashed - "The Dark One"
Graveland- "White Hand's Power"
Cirith Gorgor- "Unveiling The Essence"
Cirith Ungol- "Cirith Ungol"
Dimmu Borgir- "Broderskapets Ring" (original version that appeared on the original "Stormblast")

Also important and appropriate but unnecessary:
Vintersorg-  "För Kung Och Fosterland"
Ulver- "Ind i Fjeldkamrene"
Abigor- "Unleashed Axe-Age"
Borknagar- "Dauden"
Enslaved "Vetrarnótt"

June 22, 2010, 12:38:35 AM
Vol. I is the Hobbit novel, roughly in order of the chapters. The war of the ring would fill the next two volumes. For the last, Vol. IV, The Silmarillion. We should aim for a coherent mix of heavy metal and black metal only. Celtic Frost and Candlemass are a likely fit as well. An A.N.U.S. Metal Hall collaborative project might just be a first.

June 22, 2010, 05:44:06 PM
Blind Guardian is absolutely essential.

June 22, 2010, 08:33:27 PM
Blind Guardian is absolutely essential.

I've said it before, in that I really do like Blind Guardian, and nearly no other "power metal" band. I think the reason lies in that Blind Guardian has never really played power metal, but speed metal and later speed metal with a folkish technique. Maybe they inspired power metal or set a standard in their genre, since they're always lumped in as quasi-posterboys... but I don't think "Nightfall On Middle Earth" bears any resemblance to the expected genre stereotypes of "Power Metal." I know that's off topic but I think it was necessary to bring up before including them as a concrete idea or not.

Here's a terrible allusion if I may offer one: If Slayer is the embodiment of Satan in Speed Metal, Blind Guardian is the embodiment of Gandalf (Odin).

June 22, 2010, 10:08:13 PM
That's one band I have yet to hear. I had moved on from Saxon by the time Blind Guardian released their first. Anyway, any objections to swapping Tomorrow's Dream for A Hard Road from Never Say Die for track 2?

June 23, 2010, 03:49:13 PM
Graveland- "White Hand's Power"
Abigor- "Unleashed Axe-Age"
Borknagar- "Dauden"
Enslaved "Vetrarnótt"

Keep the magical feel, and use these instead of the hammy Sabbath?

July 03, 2010, 03:33:37 PM
Perhaps "The Battle of Evermore" could be worked into the Trilogy portion?  Led Zeppelin sounds very pedestrian to me these days, except this song.  It makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up!

July 04, 2010, 05:22:17 AM
Jaaportit recorded a track for a Middle Earth compilation a while back.  Check it out at the link below.  If I remember correctly it was the only worthwhile effort on the release.  It's very peaceful music with bird calls in the background, if that sways anyone's opinion toward one direction or the other.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YWAF00D0

July 05, 2010, 02:32:43 PM
I think the reason lies in that Blind Guardian has never really played power metal, but speed metal and later speed metal with a folkish technique.

I'm not disagreeing with anything in your post but:

Power metal = speed metal after 1990.

That's as simple as it gets. Death metal technique, or Biohazard/Prong/Exhorder/Vio-Lence style extreme percussive metal, got worked into the mix, as did uptake of European speed/death (Kreator, Destruction) and melodic speed metal (Coroner), and attributes from some American bands like Slayer, Rigor Mortis, Devastation, etc. who were halfway between speed and death.

Modern power metal has a hammy feel to it because it's basically NWOBHM played by speed metal bands using death metal, black metal, grindcore, industrial and folk-rock technique.

I'll submit a humble but thought-provoking assertion:

Blind Guardian is good because their composition is good.

If you played Blind Guardian on a kazoo with the Merry Pink Foaming Faggot Hamster Love Band playing accompaniment on an accordion, it would still be good, although harder to discern.

In the same way, Gorguts Obscura is good because it is well-composed, as are parts of From Wisdom to Hate, and Negativa is not bad because it's nu-metal-core with a stupid name, but because the composition is half-assed and trivial.

July 12, 2010, 04:30:33 PM
Pink Floyd - The Gnome (hehe...)