Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Did 'Sex and the City' ruin you, too?

Did 'Sex and the City' ruin you, too?
June 21, 2010, 09:18:05 PM
How did we let a sitcom convince us that self-indulgence and designer clothes were every woman's right? Three recovering shoppers share lessons learned the hard way.

Follow this link:  http://money.ca.msn.com/savings-debt/mp-dunleavey/article.aspx?cp-documentid=24595560

This article, in my opinion, is only scratching the surface of only one aspect.  I will further debate how such as sitcom has corrupted the spirit of many young women in general in a later thread.  But, if anyone would like to mention anything of the sort, ranging for women's immaturity and low opinion of motherhood to the poison of "neo-feminism," I'd love to hear some input.

Re: Did 'Sex and the City' ruin you, too?
June 21, 2010, 10:07:40 PM
Being a heterosexual male that has seen more than his fair share of episodes of Sex and the City, I'll be glad to comment.

The show feeds women with the false notion that social status can and should be attained by wearing expensive clothes, drinking expensive drinks, and fucking expensive guys, and that somehow this is a sign of class.

The show thrives on the premise that living alone in a nice flat in Manhattan is a glorious symbol of self-empowerment.

I like classy women, but I know a Carrie Bradshaw when I see one. I could be somewhat biased here having just exited a long-term relationship, but dating seems to be just a pleasant package wrapped around what is essentially a fuck-partnership. All these late-20's single women who are still dating, still partying, still fucking, they're not self-empowered, they're just lost, and clearing out the Victoria's Secret catalog and plotting their next greatest sexcapade is all they have to look forward to because they're fucking soulless whores. I hate to sound like a conservative good-ol boy here, but I don't particularly attractive in a woman that only wants to be fucked better than the last time she was. Bitches like that are split, man. Split.

June 22, 2010, 12:38:22 AM
I've never seen the show, and probably never will. But based on context from other sitcoms I have seen, which all pretty much run along the same premise, this show is just this eras Golden Girls, with the all too common sickness of the new millennium: rabid, excessive consumerism and hyper-sexual perversion, all neatly presented in a format that appeals to people of the same demographic..

If a woman or hell, anybody is stupid enough to follow a television show, or other form of popular media outlet with no sense of repercussion or even realization of what is really necessary and what is not... let them... we always need turnip pickers and toilet cleaners. Reality, like death can be ignored.. but in the end, it always catches up.

June 22, 2010, 02:36:01 AM
This show is written by gay men.  The fashion industry (which is turning girls anorexic) is run by gay men.  Which begs the question, why are there gay men who want to ruin straight women?  I've yet to find a truly adequate answer, except that perhaps gay liberals are doing this inadvertently because they assume that straight women are the same as them.

June 22, 2010, 08:40:01 PM
There was a really good review of it on the Corrupt board before they took it down (how many years now?) where they said basically all of this.  These women max out credit cards and screw random guys and hope someday that this arrangement will lead them to true love. 

In my opinion, it is a symptom and not a cause, or else anaccurate looking glass into reality, though I won't bother studying it to be sure of this.

June 23, 2010, 02:26:14 AM
We don't have many heroes left in media, and my generation (about 20 yrs. old) seem to be overwhelmingly fatalistic about life and very averse to challenging themselves to grow. Many don't seem depressed at all, but I can't imagine how they're really happy with life - withering away the days getting fucked up and having insipid conversations, watching TV or playing video games. Not everyone is sexually promiscuous but hardly anyone seems serious or trustworthy (much less intelligent). I think that much of our society's attitude on sex is broken. Fornication sucks. Don't loose your virginity like that.