Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

World Cup: not as gay as Apple, but close

June 23, 2010, 10:00:38 PM
The World Cupís pretty damn sweet.  I totally dig the USA National Team; theyíre fucking tough ass motherfuckers.  Kind of remind me of Rocky Balboa, in fact if one could pin a cultural icon to this football team, Rocky would fit like a glove.  They are low profile iron-spirited blue collar workers.  Just as Rocky on the movies used to receive a battering beat and always coming forward broken-brow, blood soaked to a heroic emotional redeeming climax, this USA team bears that "eye of the tiger" and same pugilistic iron heart. 

An enlightening and freshening example of European mentality lacking even among Europeans on the present tournament, a true noble savage tall and proud, clean from the mediocrity sickness so common among the current crop of bureaucrats, math-speculators and third world passive indifference so fashionable in todayís world football. 

Itís surprising to see how one of the nations more traditionally alien to football have become one of the keepers of that joyful spirit that once permeated this sport.  Not coincidentally, the "star-spangled banner crew" is no longer the only internationalist team in competition, for almost every other national football team on the Cup bears members of adopted nationalities.  Long gone are the days when the Germans were blonde and the English had pride.  Letís welcome the days of the noble brute punching its way upward through dead castes of a once reigning hierarchy.  Today Bill Clinton present at the match that USA won 1-0 against Algeria, jumped, clapped and danced at the blow of the ďvuvuzelaĒ after Landon Donovanís heroic winning goal. 

He probably secretly celebrated multicultural race-mixing and globalist consumerism evident in every corner of the world and every cultural event such as the South Africa 2010 World Cup. 
Once upon a time for us lovers of this sport, we could see and celebrate the differences between an African and a German, a Japanese and a Danish on a common clash of a football match where genetic strengths and weaknesses would become evident.  Good old days sadly gone.  Now Germans bear Turkish last names and Japanese and Koreans seem interchangeable. 

I wish Team USA good fortune in this tournament.  A football unit composed of white Americans, Chicanos and Afro-Americans who together like Rocky Balboa, poise a brawling ambition and combative mentality that today seems the apex of idiosyncratic values (in the context of football) the world has to offer among nations of lost or broken traditions observable even on a football match. 

Re: Rocky, Rocky, Rocky!
June 23, 2010, 10:40:57 PM
World class footballers are spoilt, over-paid children who get praised as heroes for trying to shepherd a peice of leather into a goal. Any glory that was once in the sport is long gone, deal with it.

June 24, 2010, 01:40:50 AM
Funny that you guys mention this here. I have been away awhile because of  my interest in the World Cup. I am hoping Italy can win again and if this happens I will party for a month straight!!!!!!!

June 24, 2010, 01:46:05 AM
Great Post in my book. As a football player (soccer) I love this sport much. As an European I am sad to see what you said. I hope my Italian team can rally and show their true spirit has they have in the past. I can hope at this point...

June 24, 2010, 06:51:16 PM
Just don't start playing that stupid fucking "Eye of the Tiger" song.

June 24, 2010, 08:09:56 PM
Funny that you guys mention this here. I have been away awhile because of  my interest in the World Cup. I am hoping Italy can win again and if this happens I will party for a month straight!!!!!!!

Today's loss was unacceptable.  The Azzuri played like they were passionless, rudderless, and gutless for nearly the entire tournament, and I attribute much of it to Lippi's selections.  Too many guys on the pitch didn't belong there, and I don't think the media's favored excuse of age had anywhere near the significance we were told it would be.  They were let down by inept strikers like Iaquinta (who shouldn't have been a starter), Pepe, and Di Natale, and utter deadweight like Montolivo.  To not even bother to show up for the World Cup until the 80th minute of the third match is a disgrace.

And what will be ignored in the U.S. media (which is uncannily anti-Italian) is the completely classless performance by Slovakia throughout the match, who played as dirty and unsportsmanlike as we are constantly told the Italians are.  The match commentators on ESPN made practically no mention of the dirty play of the Slovaks, and also forgot to mention that every member of the Slovak team seemed to get hurt during bonus time.  The English member of the broadcasting duo (and those English are the epitome of civilization, aren't they) made the point that if the situation were reversed, the Italians would have done the same thing.  Perhaps according to the English mentality, classless play is ok as long as you can get away with it. 

Fortunately for me, the lone bright spot of the Italian team going home is that I can be done with World Cup 2010, and bid adieu to the vuvezlas and the American hype. 

June 24, 2010, 09:16:00 PM
The Algerian team had only four native-born players.  The rest were hired French mercenaries.  Can't say that I'm surprised.  It probably increased jersey sales.

June 25, 2010, 03:31:31 AM
I was indeed sadden by this loss but not surprised as to why we as Italy could not win. As this moment I am drowning myself in a nice American Double beer which is sending me to the clouds.

I will still follow what happens in the World Cup 2010, but only as an observer at this point...

June 25, 2010, 04:38:31 PM
It bothers me that USA is doing fairly well. I hope they lose soon so people can stop distracting themselves from the mountains of fucking problems in this country.

June 25, 2010, 08:04:00 PM
Go Mexico !
It sucks that the U.S made it Algeria fought a lot harder then them

June 25, 2010, 08:56:22 PM
The Algerian team had only four native-born players.  The rest were hired French mercenaries.  Can't say that I'm surprised.  It probably increased jersey sales.

That's because all the good Algerian football players have moved to France...

The French national team

June 26, 2010, 09:04:15 PM
The World Cupís pretty damn sweet.  I totally dig the USA National Team; theyíre fucking tough ass motherfuckers.  Kind of remind me of Rocky Balboa, in fact if one could pin a cultural icon to this football team, Rocky would fit like a glove.  They are low profile iron-spirited blue collar workers.  Just as Rocky on the movies used to receive a battering beat and always coming forward broken-brow, blood soaked to a heroic emotional redeeming climax, this USA team bears that "eye of the tiger" and same pugilistic iron heart. 

An enlightening and freshening example of European mentality lacking even among Europeans on the present tournament, a true noble savage tall and proud, clean from the mediocrity sickness so common among the current crop of bureaucrats, math-speculators and third world passive indifference so fashionable in todayís world football. 

Itís surprising to see how one of the nations more traditionally alien to football have become one of the keepers of that joyful spirit that once permeated this sport.  Not coincidentally, the "star-spangled banner crew" is no longer the only internationalist team in competition, for almost every other national football team on the Cup bears members of adopted nationalities.  Long gone are the days when the Germans were blonde and the English had pride.  Letís welcome the days of the noble brute punching its way upward through dead castes of a once reigning hierarchy.  Today Bill Clinton present at the match that USA won 1-0 against Algeria, jumped, clapped and danced at the blow of the ďvuvuzelaĒ after Landon Donovanís heroic winning goal. 

He probably secretly celebrated multicultural race-mixing and globalist consumerism evident in every corner of the world and every cultural event such as the South Africa 2010 World Cup. 
Once upon a time for us lovers of this sport, we could see and celebrate the differences between an African and a German, a Japanese and a Danish on a common clash of a football match where genetic strengths and weaknesses would become evident.  Good old days sadly gone.  Now Germans bear Turkish last names and Japanese and Koreans seem interchangeable. 

I wish Team USA good fortune in this tournament.  A football unit composed of white Americans, Chicanos and Afro-Americans who together like Rocky Balboa, poise a brawling ambition and combative mentality that today seems the apex of idiosyncratic values (in the context of football) the world has to offer among nations of lost or broken traditions observable even on a football match. 

G
GH
GHA
GHAN
GHANA
GHAN
GHA
GH
G

June 27, 2010, 02:15:53 AM
I was at PJ's Pour House (a bar with over 125 craft beers from around the world) routing for Ghana in a crowded USA fan base. I was thrilled to see them win. They were awesome on that field.

June 29, 2010, 02:18:29 AM

The crowd loves to destroy anything unique, because by definition (a Crowd is a lowest common denominator) they can't have it.

July 03, 2010, 06:18:18 PM

German soccer fever is too nationalist and "remind us of the past".

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=128267395