Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

"Vaguely racist" Prong lyrics

"Vaguely racist" Prong lyrics
June 24, 2010, 02:09:54 AM
Errr...

A clue from knowledge: Ward off the casualties
The mindless banter of all the derogatory
It's the best thing that could happen even with all the dread.
It would feel so good to see the back of your head
Got my own sign, my own line
To hell with the doubt
Got my own sign, my own line.
You gotta hear me out.
Got my own sign my own line divisive and proud
Its my proud division that will free me
Piece together the madness with a clue to all the wrong.
Follow the right way never wanna be wrong.
Pledge allegiance to all your own beliefs in accordance to your own individual breed
It feels so good to see the back of your head.

http://www.tsrocks.com/p/prong_texts/proud_division.html

Some metrosexual claims these lyrics are

That said, it does have their best song on it, "Proud Division," which is a legitimately sweet piece of pure power groove that would make Phil Anselmo himself weak in the knees. It even has the kind of vaguely racist lyrics that bands like ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME? and Carnivore pioneered (OK, Carnivore's lyrics were pretty much explicitly racist... but nobody knew if it was sincere or just to piss people off).

Can anyone spot the "racism"? I guess he means the word "breed," but I don't read that to be race, more like "breeding" or the idea that some people are idiots and some are not.

Re: "Vaguely racist" Prong lyrics
June 24, 2010, 02:32:31 AM
It's in the penultimate two lines. Also, sporadically hinted at in the chorus, but regardless, I don't really see "racism" as much as a statement of preference.

June 24, 2010, 02:41:12 AM
Fascinating. So, race is the small issue. Equality is the large one. People get offended or defensive about race because of the implication or possibility of implication of inequalities, the primary principle. Otherwise, they're usually pretty cool talking race stuff. But it's always guarded. Just don't cross that sacrosanct equality barrier, or its hate, not talk. Physiology (esp. sexes) and psychometrics is a better way to Sun Tzu the less guarded flanks. Race is an expected frontal assault on equality.
”The Revolution ends by devouring its own children” – Jacques Mallet du Pan, 1793

June 24, 2010, 08:01:55 AM
What an asshole. The line in that stupid ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME? song that was actually decried as racist was "Walk on home, BOY!" at the end. Tommy Victor came up in the brutal days of the Bowery in New York. He, and a lot of guys like him (Cro-Mags, Agnostic Front, et al), regard themselves as a "different breed" because life in NYC in the early 80s was a unique and very difficult experience.

June 24, 2010, 04:43:41 PM
OK, Carnivore's lyrics were pretty much explicitly racist... but nobody knew if it was sincere or just to piss people off
How retarded do you have to be to not get Carnivore?

Pledge allegiance to all your OWN BELIEFS in accordance to your own INDIVIDUAL BREED
Sounds pretty individualistic to me.  If anything this is vaguely anti-racist, in a vaguely liberal sense.

June 24, 2010, 04:45:23 PM
It's in the penultimate two lines. Also, sporadically hinted at in the chorus, but regardless, I don't really see "racism" as much as a statement of preference.

The "my own sign, my own line" bit? I thought he was referring to his line of clothing.

June 24, 2010, 05:18:43 PM
Very amusing.

Must be the "individual breed" bit.  But, if you look at the final words in each line/ pay attention to the rhythm, it seems clear the word was used mainly for the 'long e' and its ending in a 'd'.  It fits with the almost-rhyming and assonance of the rest of it.

Not intelligent lyrics, but not racist.