Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Introverts: foundations of civilization

Introverts: foundations of civilization
June 24, 2010, 05:49:38 PM

What makes an introvert an introvert? We can skip some of the involved definitions and tell you three things to look for that are a dead giveaway: living in an inner world, being territorial and a strong aversion to environmental stimulants, such as noise.

Sara-Ann says, "When I was a kid, I liked to run around outside when there were too many people in the house (like the T.V. was on and someone was cooking in the kitchen and there was lots of noise). I often played by myself in my room while listening to classical music on my transistor radio starting at about 4 years old."

Sara-Ann is giving preferences few people would believe could come from a 4 year old but that is because "few people" are introverts. 70% of the people in America are extroverts and have little knowledge of how offensive noise and other environmental pollutants are to those with whom they share the planet (30% introverts). Those brightly lit, noisy shopping malls, loud and crowded cruise ships, movie theaters with wrap around sound and network gatherings in the hundreds are designed to stimulate and thrill extroverts but are deadly to the peace of mind and physical well being of introverts who gasp for breath, grab their aching heads and sometimes even head for the bathroom with an upset stomach … often beating themselves up in the process wondering why they "can't have fun".

http://www.theintrovertzcoach.com/introverts_noise_pollution_mental_health.html

70% are extroverts. Well, that explains the insanity. They need constant stimulus or they explode -- and that constant stimulus is necessarily dysfunctional, as a functional society generates little drama. Monkeys.

Re: Introverts: foundations of civilization
June 24, 2010, 07:05:22 PM
and can you believe introvert has the negative connotation?  like the introvert is the "weird one!"  sheeesh!

Stilling my mind is not only necessary, it's actually very enjoyable. 
His Majesty at the Swamp / Black Arts Lead to Everlasting Sins / Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism / Oath of Black Blood / Privilege of Evil / Dawn of Possession / In Battle There is No Law / Thousand Swords / To Mega Therion

June 24, 2010, 08:18:02 PM
On the other hand, introversion is also the handmaiden of neurosis.

June 24, 2010, 10:14:02 PM
I think the article and response is considering extroversion as comparable to boorishness.  I'm not sure about the 70% figure, but I'd rather hang around with people who don't require another season of Lost or American Idol in order to fit in and prevent a cathartic episode for the sake of attention.

June 24, 2010, 10:30:31 PM

Good point. But everyone needs some time alone. To muse, reflect, relax, and renew. The problem arises when one spends time exclusively alone, as I'm sure you know.
No.

Having reviewed the thread, baby Jesus is most definitely weeping at this point.

June 24, 2010, 11:00:22 PM
This is a bit more compelling than I originally thought.

What about the concept of "outgoing" or the attendance of giant metal festivals?  There's conflict on the surface.

I'm thinking that introverts tend to act socially for a deeper purpose (e.g. learn or something that's important and moving) while extroverts engage in social events for the sake of certain people seeing them getting their hands dirty.  That's the only way I can justify what must be tens of millions of idiotic facebook pictures.

I would say that a non-stupid introvert does things for the sake of bettering himself and/or the people he loves, while the worst kind of extrovert flaunts his exploits for the sake of attracting attention, for example downing half a keg and then bragging about it.

Trauco

June 25, 2010, 12:17:57 AM

Good point. But everyone needs some time alone. To muse, reflect, relax, and renew. The problem arises when one spends time exclusively alone, as I'm sure you know.

The problem is rather when an introvert stops altogether receiving stimuli from the outside world... then the mind unavoidably start creating dream worlds of its own in order to fill the gap. There are, nevertheless, many ways to get in touch with reality without directly interacting with people. And there's nothing wrong with pursuing solitude almost exclusively, if that's your fancy.

June 25, 2010, 12:24:05 AM
Let's not turn either the introvert or the extrovert into strawmen.  I like the Nietzschean idea that mankind's goal should be to produce "rare types" of people.  First of all, introverts are rarer than extroverts.  But more importantly, a world that is more introverted creates an atmosphere more conducive to producing these rare types (both introverted and extroverted).
His Majesty at the Swamp / Black Arts Lead to Everlasting Sins / Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism / Oath of Black Blood / Privilege of Evil / Dawn of Possession / In Battle There is No Law / Thousand Swords / To Mega Therion

June 25, 2010, 01:07:37 AM
For completeness: These are top level, macro classifications of personality type. Rational and irrational intersect with extroverted and introverted. Within this tabular matrix are 16 typologies.
”The Revolution ends by devouring its own children” – Jacques Mallet du Pan, 1793

June 25, 2010, 03:24:12 PM
Sara-Ann is giving preferences few people would believe could come from a 4 year old but that is because "few people" are introverts. 70% of the people in America are extroverts and have little knowledge of how offensive noise and other environmental pollutants are to those with whom they share the planet (30% introverts). Those brightly lit, noisy shopping malls, loud and crowded cruise ships, movie theaters with wrap around sound and network gatherings in the hundreds are designed to stimulate and thrill extroverts but are deadly to the peace of mind and physical well being of introverts who gasp for breath, grab their aching heads and sometimes even head for the bathroom with an upset stomach … often beating themselves up in the process wondering why they "can't have fun".

What the hell is wrong with these people? I'm an extremely introverted person but I can chill in a shopping mall just fine. I don't end up gasping for breath, grabbing my aching head or heading to the bathroom with an upset stomach. The magazine makes introverts sound like freaks.

June 25, 2010, 04:18:57 PM
More specifically, it makes them out to be Aspies or some other similar variant of "on the spectrum" mental defective.

June 25, 2010, 09:23:16 PM
For completeness: These are top level, macro classifications of personality type. Rational and irrational intersect with extroverted and introverted. Within this tabular matrix are 16 typologies.

That's the Meyers-Briggs, right.  But I recall that most people on this forum in a previous thred were INTJ or INTP (I am the latter), which was interesting.  Yet there is often much variation between two people who might be classified as the same 'type'.

More specifically, it makes them out to be Aspies or some other similar variant of "on the spectrum" mental defective.

I've always found that phrase, "on the spectrum", amusing.  But there is a difference between someone who prefers solitude yet can interact with others when necessary, and someone who hyperventilates in a shopping mall.

Extroversion can be a means of avoiding dealing with oneself, but so can introversion, in that it allows us to fall into our own illusions.  I need a dose of both.  Too much of either and I feel very uneasy.

June 26, 2010, 12:34:10 AM
Alcohol will cure most nausea and social problems, at least for some.

June 26, 2010, 01:25:33 AM
Yeah, it dulls intelligence because that's the part soaked first. Last hit is the reptilian core, until finally autonomic responses end with too much saturation.
”The Revolution ends by devouring its own children” – Jacques Mallet du Pan, 1793

June 26, 2010, 05:01:58 PM
Extroversion can be a means of avoiding dealing with oneself, but so can introversion, in that it allows us to fall into our own illusions.  I need a dose of both.  Too much of either and I feel very uneasy.

As usual, balance is what is needed. People don't need to be totally introverted, just more introverted than they are now.

There was an another thread a while back where it was claimed that society in general needs to be more INTJ. When I make the same assertion, it's not to say that I is necessarily better than E, N than S, etc. It's to counteract the fact that pop culture encourages everyone to be more ESFP:

E, for Extroversion - caused by social media, cellphones and the culture of hyper-sociality in general.

S, for focusing on the here and now instead of N, where one finds patterns and thinks long term - this one is obvious just by looking at slogans in commercials and on t-shirts. I saw "Love is the moment" on a person's shirt the other day. I can't remember anyone in popular media ever advising one think long-term, it's only ever an encouragement to jump right in.

F, for emotional thinking instead of T, logical thinking - tv and movies rarely play to a person's sense of reason.

P, for keeping lifestyle options open - commitment isn't exactly considered cool right now.

So not a perfect explanation, but you get the idea.

Additionally, this: http://libertycorner.blogspot.com/2004/03/iq-and-personality.html