Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Ildjarn: Last Man Standing

Re: Ildjarn: Last Man Standing
June 28, 2010, 09:56:14 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVa9H763T60

I've always found this song to be a great example of black metal.

It was OK.

To me, he's always dancing on the line between being able to paint a vague picture and having the music be so simple that nothing is going on at all anymore. If you actually transcribe this song to paper, you'll see that there is nothing to it. I don't see much musical ability here.

More than ever, it seems our appreciation for this music (minimalistic black metal) is based on foreknowledge of it's concept and then we paint the picture ourselves with some harsh noise in the background.

Why not listen to Necrophagist instead, do you even like black metal?

Holy false dichotomy, Batman!

Must I always express myself according to strict logic, it should have been obvious that I wasn't speaking literally.

June 28, 2010, 10:02:39 AM
Sorry, but I frequently find that people's intentions on this board are not obvious, at least for me. It probably has a bit to do with the fact that my way of speaking is basically the product of years of studying academic philosophy. Whatever...

June 28, 2010, 10:10:56 AM
Sorry, but I frequently find that people's intentions on this board are not obvious, at least for me. It probably has a bit to do with the fact that my way of speaking is basically the product of years of studying academic philosophy. Whatever...

Mode of expression in conversation is not the same as writing a thesis.  Maybe it should be...

June 28, 2010, 01:37:30 PM
I would agree with graveland except for the fact that since recently (according to my girlfriend) Rob Darken became a fan of Huldrefolk. Huldrefolk has for me a great potential for becoming the worst band on the planet, I think Zimmer's hole, ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME? & Anal Cunt might still have more to offer. Is this the price the man pays for his ideology? If the next graveland releases are going to be influenced by this band, there's no way they can be good, or he should let his inspiration come from everything that they are not. Then again he could like listen to any metalband for achieving that goal.

...And? It's important to realize that not every great artist listens to a special list of your/ANUS approved bands. It's not as if Darken is learning bad composition from another band he happens to enjoy or find value in for whatever reason. Perhaps when you've released 11 quality albums you can complain about what Rob likes to do when he isn't creating grand art.

June 29, 2010, 11:02:56 PM
The Ildjarn works I mostly come back to are Ildjarn-Niddhog, Hardangervidda, Sort Vokter, Strength & Anger, Det Frysende Nordariket, Forest Poetry, Landscapes... Wait a minute...

If you're complaining that Ildjarn isn't musical enough than I think you're missing the point. Except for the ambient works, I don't think it "expresses" anything that one can put into words. It exudes the primitive, primordial, basic, simple; and it does it in a way that is convincing and hypnotic. If you sit there and over analyze his music, or try to find something meaningful in individual songs or riffs, you probably won't. Let yourself experience it.

I let myself experience it I didn't get much out of it. Then I tried again. And again.

Then I looked for an explanation as to why it doesn't work for me.

The things I've said are the best I can do to explain it.

Give Sort Vokter a try... I'm not a huge Ildjarn fan either but I've always enjoyed that one. It seems primitive but the songs gradually evolve and unfold in a much different manner than most other Ildjarn. It's less "in the moment", 2-chord bashing and has a haunting atmosphere.

June 30, 2010, 06:30:30 AM
I agree on the Sort Vokter: it's a more distilled, contemplative, planned version of Ildjarn (which is more planned than it appears, heh). Also, don't fuck up and listen to these bands as individual tracks; listen to whole albums only!

Regarding great artists -- this list is full of nifty surprises that may mean nothing:

http://www.last.fm/user/syriacname/charts?rangetype=overall&subtype=artists

To others:

Pointless bickering over minor points, logical fallacies, emotional outbursts and posturing make us look like prime shitheads.

We can do better?

June 30, 2010, 07:06:13 AM
I looked at the list and it was pretty much every band I have ever heard off, including some shitty punk like anti-flag and rancid

July 02, 2010, 12:48:14 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVa9H763T60

I've always found this song to be a great example of black metal.

It was OK.

More than ever, it seems our appreciation for this music (minimalistic black metal) is based on foreknowledge of it's concept and then we paint the picture ourselves with some harsh noise in the background.

Black metal really should be nothing more, nothing less.

July 03, 2010, 12:34:06 AM
Ildjarn's "Forest Poetry" CD by Napalm records NEVER exits my house, under ANY circumstances. I stole it from an ex-girlfriend of mine and refused to return it when we broke up under the foundation that she never liked Ildjarn, and she foolhardily kept that disk out of its respective case.

My opinion about Ildjarn is very simple: like Darkthrone, but light-years more significant to me based on the compositional uniformity (doesn't deviate from it's award-winning style within an album. Ildjarn was completely uncompromising during (and even after...) the Black Metal days. Within the microcosm of each individual album there is a single powerful statement in which he expounds upon throughout 20something songs in different ways. It's like saying "shut up" in 20 languages. The novelty of the word doesn't change the tone, mood or substance of what's being communicated, just like Ildjarn.

Then again, I could be wrong... but I don't think I am.

July 03, 2010, 03:26:42 PM
For people struggling w/ Ildjarn, I think the S/T Demo ('93) and the S/T Full Length ('95) can be recommended.   They are my two favorites, regardless.  Ildjarn is one of those acts that you really can think of as sonic sculpture rather than "music" (at least that's been the mindset that has helped me enjoy him).

July 05, 2010, 02:33:47 PM
For people struggling w/ Ildjarn, I think the S/T Demo ('93) and the S/T Full Length ('95) can be recommended.

Insightful. He had the clearest sense there.

For the casual listener: download Ildjarn, Ildjarn-Nidhogg or Forest Poetry.

July 06, 2010, 01:59:55 AM
Ildjarn is certainly an unusual creature.  Vidar has always struck me as a fatalistic type who's kept in line only by his pure, raw, unadulterated hatred.  Nevertheless, Strength and Anger has a special place in my heart, and Det Frysende Nordariket is definately a must have.

July 06, 2010, 03:53:50 PM
Within the microcosm of each individual album there is a single powerful statement in which he expounds upon throughout 20something songs in different ways. It's like saying "shut up" in 20 languages.

I get this feeling too. I also agree with the poster who said they are sonic sculptures. I began enjoying the songs more when I tried to see them as a flowing proccess rather than a bunch of riffs

Ildjarn is sublime music. I have Ildjarn Is Dead. Great stuff. The words he wrote for the booklet are also interesting and reasonable, except for the extreme hatred, I mean, the guy said he likes fantisizing about being a god taking down a plane full of people and enjoy the panic while they fall to death. I don't doubt he would do it if he had the powers to. That's mean.

July 15, 2010, 09:31:41 AM
Exactly which of his works are you guys referring to?

Honestly, most of his metal stuff is terrible. He takes a couple of two-chord chugging riffs and calls it a song. I think we're deluding ourselves here.

Hardangervidda, on the other hand, is pretty good. "Actual music" by my standards.

Thank god somebody else is calling this spade a spade.

I wrote my opinion about him in the "evil black metal is a joke" thread, but to summarize: he writes his songs in the same manner that a McDonald's employee makes chicken nuggets.