Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Bands for Maryland Deathfest 2011 announced

Bands for Maryland Deathfest 2011 announced
June 30, 2010, 06:41:05 PM
"The following bands have been confirmed for MDF 2011.

More band announcements, including the beginning of headliner announcements, will be coming soon.

EXHORDER
EXHUMED
IMPALED NAZARENE (Finland)
REPUGNANT (Sweden)
CRIPPLE BASTARDS (Italy)
WORMED (Spain)
BLOOD FREAK
CRETIN
THE KILL (Australia)
NIGHTBRINGER"

http://www.smnnews.com/board/showthread.php?t=239481

Wow, already a fantastic lineup.

Help me out deadite, we usually agree on a lot musically - what is fantastic there?

Obviously, Exhorder and Impaled Nazarene, which I'm sure you know.

I'm of the opinion that Exhumed and Cripple Bastards are both really good grind bands. Wormed is oddball "brutal" death metal, sort of like Suffocation or Sinister on PCP after reading a cosmology textbook. I like them, but I don't think they'd be well received here. The Kill is OK, not a huge fan but could be worth seeing live. I'm excited to see who else gets put on the roster.

Exhorder and IN I am, of course, familiar with as you noted - the rest?????

I am looking forward to the "headline" announcements too. Holding out for Dead Congregation on the newer side and Morbid Angel for the show-stopper. Would definitely like to see more straight-up old school DM present(less of those who went on to other styles later, ie Entombed, etc.). Had heard much unsubstantiated scuttlebutt about a possible Mercyful Fate appearance, but that seems like a serious stretch to me. But so did Autopsy a couple years ago...   

I have to say for me personally Wormed is a very deep sort of listen. Many time changes abound, lyrical content is above reproach and intense to say the least. Typically I am not into this certain genre type that is Wormed, but for me this has been a great listen. I have to say that the drumming is one of the most unique ways I have ever heard someone approach metal.

It's looking pretty good so far. I'm sure it will get even better as headliners are announced. I think Wormed is quite good actually, although that is not a style of death metal that I get into very much.

Gave Wormed a shot after this thread. Not my thing at all - reminds me of Portal in many ways. This style of DM is utterly lost on me...

I'm lookin forward to Exhorder of course, but also Wormed.  I was actually introduced to them when I first saw them live at MDF years ago.  They were the one band that I had no idea about going into it and managed to impress me live.  I checked out the album and it's pretty good.  I wouldn't compare them to Portal, they are a lot cleaner sounding, you know relatively.

I heard a rumor they tried to get Morbid Angel for 2010, but they wanted tens of thousands of dollars for it so...

I heard a rumor they tried to get Morbid Angel for 2010, but they wanted tens of thousands of dollars for it so...

I do hope that isn't the case. I doubt MA was ever paid that kind of money to play anywhere at any point in their career - after all this IS death metal we're talking about, where the biggest acts extant don't enjoy the popularity of the average flash-in-the-pan pop star whose career spans two years and no one remembers three weeks after their last video fades from the public consciousness.

Well, one can still hope - if not, it will likely be a great fest either way - has been eveyrtime I've attended.     

I doubt MA was ever paid that kind of money to play anywhere at any point in their career

In the late 1990s at least, metal bands like Carcass and Morbid Angel were demanding and getting $5,000 per night -- and they may have gotten more when they were on the big festivals. I don't think it's unreasonable to think that Morbid Angel demanded $10,000 and the rumor mill inflated that to the vague "tens of thousands of dollars," which is what our source heard.

Were I MDF, I would pay it. They've just had a year of huge bands, and the lineup so far is mostly niche acts. Yes, it's neat Exhorder is there, but the majority of metal fans don't know/don't care and just listen to Pantera instead. MDF needs to start getting more bands that appeal to the general death metal and black metal audience, or this is going to end up being Exhorder opening for 200 metalcore bands.

I doubt MA was ever paid that kind of money to play anywhere at any point in their career

In the late 1990s at least, metal bands like Carcass and Morbid Angel were demanding and getting $5,000 per night -- and they may have gotten more when they were on the big festivals. I don't think it's unreasonable to think that Morbid Angel demanded $10,000 and the rumor mill inflated that to the vague "tens of thousands of dollars," which is what our source heard.

Were I MDF, I would pay it. They've just had a year of huge bands, and the lineup so far is mostly niche acts. Yes, it's neat Exhorder is there, but the majority of metal fans don't know/don't care and just listen to ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME? instead. MDF needs to start getting more bands that appeal to the general death metal and black metal audience, or this is going to end up being Exhorder opening for 200 metalcore bands.

Don't disagree. I just interpreted "tens of thousands" as meaning literally...tens of thousands, not five, ten, etc.  

I think the lineup is looking pretty grim (not using the kvlt term here). I think Exhorder is an interesting addition, and I'm ambivalent towards Wormed and Blood Freak, but I can't imagine Impaled Nazarene playing a good set considering their output in the late 90s/00s. I would feel given their name/semi-popularity and distance from the venue that it will cost a bit to get them here, too. Perhaps I'm being too cynical - I just hope they announce better bands.

Are you guys seriously declaring this festival a failure already? Like 50 bands go to it every year and this preliminary lineup is very promising considering the event is a year away. Besides that, they've had a lot of great bands booked every year and there's no reason to think this year will be any different.

Are you guys seriously declaring this festival a failure already? Like 50 bands go to it every year and this preliminary lineup is very promising considering the event is a year away. Besides that, they've had a lot of great bands booked every year and there's no reason to think this year will be any different.

I'm certainly not, as can be seen in a post above. Granted, I'm not terribly excited about what has been announced thus far, but I have faith in  Ryan & Co. to book some more notable acts.   

Updated list, including HOODED MENACE

EXHORDER
EXHUMED
IMPALED NAZARENE (Finland)
REPUGNANT (Sweden)
HOODED MENACE (Finland)
LAST DAYS OF HUMANITY (Holland)
MACHETAZO (Spain)
CRIPPLE BASTARDS (Italy)
WORMED (Spain)
BLOOD FREAK
THE KILL (Australia)