Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Hessian Martial Art

Re: Hessian Martial Art
July 16, 2010, 09:34:40 PM
A better question is if the Hessian is going to consider the fact that he may have to take a life, he is going to have to be schooled in the arts of "asymetrical" warfare. Were starting to see a hybrid of this type of warfare in Iraq and Afghanistan. It seems warfare evolves in a manner befitting of the times.....
I will slash and burn and salt the earth so that nothing will grow.

July 17, 2010, 11:55:02 PM
dishonorable tactics hardly guarantee victory.  you don't have to throw out honor in order to win.  practicing one's martial art will you make you a better fighter than the willingness to kick someone in the balls
I follow my course with the precision and security of a sleepwalker

July 18, 2010, 07:22:58 AM
dishonorable tactics hardly guarantee victory.  you don't have to throw out honor in order to win.  practicing one's martial art will you make you a better fighter than the willingness to kick someone in the balls

What is dishonor in war? I hate to make pop culture references but..... "The rules of fair play do not apply in love and war. "

July 18, 2010, 10:27:21 AM

What is dishonor in war? I hate to make pop culture references but..... "The rules of fair play do not apply in love and war. "

I view the dishonor in war being fighting for a cause without any justification.  In the fight itself there is no honor, but in the reason there is.  I believe even Thomas Aquinas stated this in his essay on what makes a 'good' war( it has been many years since I last read it).  Striking some one/group without reason brings you dishonor and more than that, hate.  Neither is good for your mentality or is positive towards your justification for living.  Both of which will likely shorten your lifespan in a perfect society.

July 18, 2010, 04:14:47 PM

I view the dishonor in war being fighting for a cause without any justification.

War is hell......To fight without justification is murder in the eyes of some, but there will always be a justification, whether it's legitimate or manufactured.

July 18, 2010, 04:42:08 PM
War is Heaven.

July 18, 2010, 06:39:05 PM
War is Heaven.

Spoken like a true "conscientious objector"......

July 19, 2010, 01:03:28 AM
And/or Devil's Advocate.

As I've already stated, modern warfare is bullshit.  I wouldn't enjoy fighting in a modern war.  However, depending on how far back you go, and which side you were fighting for, war was pretty fucking good.  Especially for those who lived long/died well.

July 24, 2010, 03:31:05 PM
For those of you interested in gaining a deeper understanding of traditional martial arts:

http://www.amazon.com/Bodhisattva-Warriors-Philosophy-Symbolism-Buddhist/dp/0877287856/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1279984984&sr=8-1-spell

This unique study of the development of the earliest form of Buddhist self-defense practiced by Chuan Fa monks and mystics shows the philosophical basis of the skills they passed on to subsequent generations.The material is presented so readers can understand that what we think of as a competitive sport is really a meditation mandala in action. Over 100 illustrations. Glossary, bibliography, and index.