Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Best Metal Live album ever?

Best Metal Live album ever?
July 20, 2010, 11:11:25 PM
I'm just wondering what the forum's favorite live album is. My vote goes to Slayer - Live Undead.

Recorded in front of a crowd of only 50 Slayer fans and friends this live album sounds so enthusiastic and convincing that it just grabs me by the neck and forces me to headbang along. I can close my eyes listening to it and feel like I'm there in the crowd, see people going crazy around me while Slayer spreads the message of Slaytanic thrash metal in the early eighties. The chanting that can be heard in the background during the songs works as a stimulant rather than a distraction and the songs sound better and more passionate than they do on Show No Mercy. Live Undead might even be my favorite Slayer album, it certainly is my second favorite (after Hell Awaits)

Any votes for Entangled in Chaos or Live in Leipzig or something else? I suppose bootlegs are ok to list as well. Try to name only one album though, just for sport ;)

Re: Best Metal Live album ever?
July 20, 2010, 11:47:46 PM
My vote goes to Deicide- "When Satan Lives" is a comprehensive look at Deicide's best years at a standard deviation from their best playing ability. Equipped fully with an audience of Hessian maniacs, spiked armor that they're too fat to strap on fully at this point in their lives, high-end crunchy Serpent's of the Light distortion on every song including the old ones, and not a retarded filler on the album.

The sound quality is amazing too.

July 20, 2010, 11:53:10 PM
Judas Priest - Unleashed in the East

I was introduced to this album through a reviewer on Metal Archives named UltraBoris. Looking back, it's clear he was passionate about metal but more than a little stupid. He was right about this being the best live album ever, though -- don't listen to the naysayers who wallow that Halford rerecorded the vocals; supposedly the unaltered recording sounds the same except for equipment errors. Anyways, this album just rips. The best of Priest's 70s material (read: Priest's best material except Painkiller) with better guitar tone, extended song segments, intense performance, and a few hundred screaming Asians. If you like Priest even a little, get this album.

As for extreme metal, I don't really listen to live albums very much... The "Live Madness '89" DVD that came with the most recent Altars of Madness pressing is pretty sick.

July 21, 2010, 12:22:42 PM
Judas Priest - Unleashed in the East

Slayer - Live Undead.
Mayhem - Live in Leipzig

* Motorhead - No Sleep at All
* Suffocation - Close of a Chapter
* Krieg - Kill Yourself etc
* Cryptic Slaughter - Stream of Consciousness
* Ministry - Thanks For Not Showing Up, etc
* Incantation - Tribute to the Goat

July 21, 2010, 04:12:04 PM
Morbid Angel- Entangled in Chaos
Cryptopsy- None so Live
Death- Live in L.A.(Death & Raw)

July 21, 2010, 09:25:23 PM
* Krieg - Kill Yourself etc

First time Krieg was truly audible since "Rise of The Imperial Hordes" and some of "The Black Plague" ... and at the time I was so glad to hear those songs played like that. 100% agreed if you're into them.

Unfortunately I don't listen to Krieg anymore... likewise I really don't listen to that album anymore either.

July 22, 2010, 03:37:24 AM
I more or less lived off "No Sleep 'til Hammersmith" and "Unleashed In The East" for a couple years in the mid 80's!!

July 22, 2010, 04:14:10 AM
Iron Maiden - Life after death
Blind Guardian - Live
Slayer - Decade of Aggression
Nightwish - End of an era

X

July 22, 2010, 02:37:34 PM
Iron Maiden - Flight 666
Maiden performing all classics on their Somewhere Back In Time tour.
Shows that Maiden can still play all their classics spot-on.