Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Tree worship

Tree worship
July 21, 2010, 04:15:53 AM
Tree worship refers to the tendency of many societies throughout history to worship or otherwise mythologize trees. Trees have played an important role in many of the world's mythologies  and religions, and have been given deep and sacred meanings throughout the ages. Human beings, observing the growth and death of trees, the elasticity of their branches, the sensitiveness and the annual decay and revival of their foliage, see them as powerful symbols of growth, decay and resurrection. The most ancient cross-cultural symbolic representation of the universe's construction is the world tree.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tree_worship

I can get into this. If we could standardize society on some sufficiently abstract religion, like tree worship, we might have more unity.

Of course, trees are also perfect to hang idiots (under-120s) from...

Re: Tree worship
July 21, 2010, 04:58:10 AM
They're also perfect to nail babbling charity workers onto ;)

July 21, 2010, 05:38:37 AM
Trees also give us shade when it's hot, wood to burn when it's cold, and food to eat when we're hungry. Trees are cool!!

July 21, 2010, 08:28:23 AM
This thread is now the official "Uses of Trees" thread.

With some kinds of trees, you can hollow out canoes from the trunks.

July 21, 2010, 11:58:31 AM

July 21, 2010, 12:35:28 PM
This thread is now the official "Uses of Trees" thread.

Seems a reversal of thought from "Tree Worship" to "Human Worship, via trees."

July 21, 2010, 04:54:43 PM
In my backyard, I have a cherry tree, apple tree, and plum tree which compliment my garden. I always love eating those delicious fruits every summer. Trees kick ass.

July 21, 2010, 06:19:38 PM
Of course, trees are also perfect to hang idiots (under-120s) from...

It would be quite a spectacle to behold. Ironic in a way, using the most evolved and complex lifeforms on Earth (trees) to cleanse the least and meager of it's lifeforms.

July 21, 2010, 09:02:02 PM
When I see signs of evidense of tree worship in any religion, particularly the oldest known, I tend to think that these beliefs probably preceded that particular religion and that these beliefs are perhaps even older than sun worship beliefs.

This is going to sound silly, but bare with me.  If a squirrel suddenly started worshipping something and adopted a religion, would he not be worshipping a tree?  The tree is his home, his source of food, his shelter from those who prey on him.  If one day he stopped taking his world for granted, he would say something like "I better show this tree I am grateful."

Ok that was a pretty big leap, but I hope my idea came across.

July 22, 2010, 01:43:41 AM
We aren't descended from squirrels. Try apes and the middle to north of Africa when it was thick with forests instead of desert like today. Also think along the lines of very much liking trees because many of the huge hungry reptiles at ground level can't reach us apes way up there.

July 22, 2010, 12:33:19 PM
We aren't descended from squirrels.

Nor from apes.

July 22, 2010, 11:13:26 PM
I like the way they wave in the wind, all together :D

July 22, 2010, 11:35:11 PM
Also think along the lines of very much liking trees because many of the huge hungry reptiles at ground level can't reach us apes way up there.

Trees mean water, food and shelter; they also represent a force that slowly but inexorably takes over terrain, breaks up the rocks and enriches the soil, making a habitat.

Yes, trees are pretty cool. We need fast-growing trees to plant in the skulls of idiots.

July 23, 2010, 12:29:49 AM
We aren't descended from squirrels

Thanks for the enlightenment.

July 24, 2010, 11:40:22 AM
We aren't descended from squirrels

Thanks for the enlightenment.

Not to shit on the parade here, but we were probably descended from primitive mammals that resembled mice or capybara. Those gave rise to the vast mammalian tree, of which simians are but one twig...