Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Tree worship

Re: Tree worship
July 24, 2010, 03:48:08 PM
Going way off subject, I remember there was a lot of speculation not to long ago that our closest non-ape relatives are actually bats, because they type of small mammal that evolved in that direction is the same that went to form that species.

July 27, 2010, 04:46:34 AM
Yes, trees are pretty cool. We need fast-growing trees to plant in the skulls of idiots.

Reminds of this book (sequel to Ender's Game): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speaker_for_the_Dead

Not as good as the mentioned, but has a very interesting concept involving trees growing out of the dead.

August 04, 2010, 06:23:07 AM
Prayer to the Ancient Ones

As your roots touch the pulse of the earth
as your crowns reach unto to roof of the sky
may we know
Heaven and Hell are but one.
As your heroes fall
and your sons and your daughters
sanctify their mossy graves
may we know that there is no life without death.
May we know that there is no future
that has not already past
that not already is.
As you are in body so are we in spirit -
Sinews streatched  taut betwixt
Heaven and Hell.

August 04, 2010, 10:38:51 PM
It should be pointed out that a Douglas Fir alone can live up to 750 years. Can you fathom that??? Worthy of worship.

August 04, 2010, 11:30:00 PM
The area where I live used to be home to great forests of douglas firs.  They have been logged extensively.  When I go out camping its amazing to see gigantic stumps of old trees with new trees growing out of them.  Or gigantic moss-covered windfalls with a row of trees growing out of them.  In death is life.

August 14, 2010, 11:07:48 AM
Conservationalist, I was really drawn by your idea because I've had very similiar ideas, indeed. I'm doubting you were intending for: This thread is now a "Uses of Trees Thread." --because god knows we need more of those; what is this? 4chan?

I've often fantasized of what kind of consciousness trees might have had. There is no doubt something mystical about a tree. For me they've always symbolized the branching tendency of nature and physics - akin to veins, parallel universe, etc. They branch at the bottom and the top, usually straight in the middle.
I've always loved climbing trees, as well.

August 15, 2010, 03:35:18 PM
I believe that all material things have levels of intelligence (perhaps it's better to say instructions or information) encoded "within it."  However, these levels of intelligence are so rudimentary that we can simply not detect or fathom it.  Plants and trees would be below animals/humans, but above cruder forms of material like dirt or water.

August 15, 2010, 09:51:40 PM
I wish you could place your hand upon an old tree, and see what it has seen and lived through.

August 16, 2010, 07:25:09 PM
Although the idea of trees being conscious seems counter intuitive, we mustn't forget that consciousness as everyone would call it emerged out of non conscious organisms. That in itself is fascinating and mind boggling. 

Although forests do not think self reflexively, there is a lot we can learn from them. What is sad is that at least in the Boreal and Temperate regions, we no longer have the types of forests we used to. Even in Canada and Russia, most frontier forests have been logged. Climate Change will furthermore burden the already overstrained forests of the world as you can see happening with the Mountain Pine Beetle in Alberta and B.C., CA. invasive species are another huge problem for forest health and although there has been a lot of research done into Sustainable Forest Management (Mainly thinaks to pressures from society, ENGOS and the United Nations), most attempts at moving from Maximum Sustained Yield harvesting to ecoforestry are not regulated and enforced by those governments orgnaizations responsible.

The greatest hope for the world's forests comes, I would argue, from certification and making responsible consumer choices. I would strongly urge anyone on this forum concerned about the state of the worlds forsts to only buy Forest Stewardship Council certified wood. If you want to know why, read my blog. There are other certification bodies out there but they aren't as rigorous environmentally. For instance, the Sustainable Forest Initiative isnt as independant as the FSC and receveis lots of industry funds. Not surprisingly it is the most commonly used, particularly i the US, which incidentally also consumes most of CAnada's forest products.

The basic idea behind New Forestry (aka Ecoforestry and Sustainable Forest Management) is that the silvicultural objectives forest owners have attempt to mimic or "emulate" natural disturbances such as fire. The idea is sound and the way it is done failry clever, but the problem is that stands are still cut in too short a time frame, even when these are accepted by third parties such as the FSC. Normally, forests will suffer from disturbances such as forest first anywhere from 20-500 years. Timber Licences, which are granted by the provincial governments in Canada,  enable companies such as Weyerhauser or Bloedel to harvest leased lands in anywhere from 70-140 years of "rotation". This does not provide forests with enough time to reach a climax stage and hence we have too many forests at early successional stages which in turn means that species which require Old Growth forests are endangered.

Forest fragmentation, also due to road building, is another huge problem for the worlds forests, since logging roads open up the forest to morons such as hunters and ATV users that should be shot in my books. A single road, when used regularly, can repel animals for up to 40 km away, since the sound of car engines frightens them. And so their habitat is decreased. The Spotted Owl, for instance, requires a huger amount (I cant remember the exact number ifn hectares but it is large) or undisturbed land for a single breeding pair to survive. The forest industry simply cannot accommodate for this and we will probably loose that species also in the next five years or so. A census about a decade ago showed that there were only about 300 breeding pairs left. Wolves are also threatened here in Canada since they are only protected on about 5% of their natural range. The same for the Woodland Caribou, the wolverine etc etc etc.

August 16, 2010, 11:02:33 PM
Although the idea of trees being conscious seems counter intuitive, we mustn't forget that consciousness as everyone would call it emerged out of non conscious organisms. That in itself is fascinating and mind boggling.

As far as my understanding of it goes, consciousness immerged itself into non-conscious "organisms".  That is taking the view that "consciousness" is an exterior (cosmic/eternal) process, and not an individual (multiple/divided/passing) process.  I find myself leaning more and more towards such concepts with each day, and my experiences do seem to be shaping themselves around this view of things.

August 16, 2010, 11:18:43 PM
Interesting idea. I was just raised under the dominant wester science paradigm, hence my speculation. You might be interested in what certain Qi Gong masters can do: They project their Qi onto other people to heal etc. Kind of reminds me of what your talking about.

DEADFORWEEKS

August 17, 2010, 02:07:55 PM
Tree worship refers to the tendency of many societies throughout history to worship or otherwise mythologize trees. Trees have played an important role in many of the world's mythologies  and religions, and have been given deep and sacred meanings throughout the ages. Human beings, observing the growth and death of trees, the elasticity of their branches, the sensitiveness and the annual decay and revival of their foliage, see them as powerful symbols of growth, decay and resurrection. The most ancient cross-cultural symbolic representation of the universe's construction is the world tree.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tree_worship

I can get into this. If we could standardize society on some sufficiently abstract religion, like tree worship, we might have more unity.

Of course, trees are also perfect to hang idiots (under-120s) from...

Idiots such as yourself you fucking useless introvert. Stop talking to trees all day and learn to interact with real human beings.

August 17, 2010, 03:10:49 PM
Tree worship refers to the tendency of many societies throughout history to worship or otherwise mythologize trees. Trees have played an important role in many of the world's mythologies  and religions, and have been given deep and sacred meanings throughout the ages. Human beings, observing the growth and death of trees, the elasticity of their branches, the sensitiveness and the annual decay and revival of their foliage, see them as powerful symbols of growth, decay and resurrection. The most ancient cross-cultural symbolic representation of the universe's construction is the world tree.

I can get into this. If we could standardize society on some sufficiently abstract religion, like tree worship, we might have more unity.

Idiots such as yourself you fucking useless introvert. Stop talking to trees all day and learn to interact with real human beings.

Most human beings are poverty stricken, filth-mongering idiots. Those who are truly worth it seek the real power of managing their worthless lives, and everyone else, no matter who they are, in every circumstance, is worthless.

Caffeine

August 17, 2010, 08:54:41 PM

Most human beings are poverty stricken, filth-mongering idiots. Those who are truly worth it seek the real power of managing their worthless lives, and everyone else, no matter who they are, in every circumstance, is worthless.

Sometimes the poverty stricken people are useful (you know, that one genius amongst the crowd of idiots, or competent labor workers).  I would agree with you about your other point however; people who calculate, observe, analyze, and go where they wish (within the confines of reasonable circumstances) are actually worthy of living in society.  It seems as though the very "freedom" of allowing everyone to be given "rights" and "respect" is the very freedom that holds society's intelligence and adaptability back.

August 18, 2010, 03:47:21 PM

I think you need to lay off the coffee and blow in the morning.

Interacting with "real" human beings tends to dishearten me, as so many of them are boring, lifeless, and mundane. Enjoy your cubicle!