Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

How to have a hit #1 single

How to have a hit #1 single
November 28, 2004, 07:33:27 PM
Firstly, it has to have a dance groove that will run all the way through the record and that the current 7" buying generation will find irresistible. Secondly, it must be no longer than three minutes and thirty seconds (just under 3'20 is preferable). If they are any longer Radio One daytime DJs will start fading early or talking over the end, when the chorus is finally being hammered home - the most important
part of any record. Thirdly, it must consist of an intro, a verse, a chorus, second verse, a second chorus, a breakdown section, back into
a double length chorus and outro.

http://www.klf.de/online/books/bytheklf/manual.htm

TZ

Re: How to have a hit #1 single
November 29, 2004, 09:36:15 AM
Absolute gold.
Expect my new album to be #1 on the charts by next month.
I shall title it: "Bling Boy - I txt u baby'
WWW.KRUSADE.TK - RESTRUKTURE

August 09, 2007, 03:35:36 PM
Firstly, it has to have a dance groove that will run all the way through the record and that the current 7" buying generation will find irresistible. Secondly, it must be no longer than three minutes and thirty seconds (just under 3'20 is preferable). If they are any longer Radio One daytime DJs will start fading early or talking over the end, when the chorus is finally being hammered home - the most important
part of any record. Thirdly, it must consist of an intro, a verse, a chorus, second verse, a second chorus, a breakdown section, back into
a double length chorus and outro.

http://www.klf.de/online/books/bytheklf/manual.htm

It's all about the hook homie....the HOOK!

August 09, 2007, 08:17:59 PM
I've read this before: it remains the single most insightful look at how the industry really works, despite it's now venerable antiquity.

August 09, 2007, 08:18:07 PM
I believe a surprisingly large number of important bands have had hits, not necessarily groovy or anything moronic like that, but more or less short enough and mainstream enough to grasp the shallower metal listeners.

August 09, 2007, 08:38:43 PM
It's worth noting, of course, that the same 'rules' apply in modified form to virtually any commercially successful music.

Case in point, Metallica's "Enter Sandman," which bears all the hallmarks of a 'hit song' except length, which isn't a problem, given the greater tolerance of America's slightly more specialized media formats (music video and rock radio) for songs that push past the four minute mark.

August 09, 2007, 10:57:17 PM
Just goes to show how music these days can truly be 'manufactured'.
"I am the wisest man alive, for I know one thing, and that is that I know nothing." - Socrates

August 10, 2007, 12:37:04 PM
It's worth noting, of course, that the same 'rules' apply in modified form to virtually any commercially successful music.

In metal, it's a lot like country.

Have the initial verses somewhat vulnerable, then the chorus really foot-stomping, and then close out with an urgent and/or "determined" vocal.

The crowd loves to feel profound.

August 10, 2007, 02:46:47 PM
in case of metal just put in some "groove" and some explicit gore/leftist lyrics
Da stopper rittet
Som varte i en livstid
For herren går (inn i slottet fra drømmen)

August 10, 2007, 05:51:20 PM
"It is basically the drum and bass patterns and all the other musical sounds on the record that are neither hummable or singalongable to."

So its saying that the groove is made by all the sounds on the album. Hardly a help to anyone who isn't deaf.

As is my experience groove is made by playing over certain modes that somewhat resemble the blues scale with an instrument that plays in the bass clef. Usually this instrument is playing the root note of chords or chord inversions and use dotted rhythmic figures a lot and  large jazz or blues style chords played by chordal instruments (such as piano and guitar).

August 10, 2007, 11:53:52 PM
'Groove' as such comes out of the intersection of bass, percussion and the lead rhythm instrument (guitar or keys, typically).  It's what you get when you set syncopation among the other instruments (and the bass drum) against straight four on snare and symbols.  Groove has two main effects:

1. It almost demands a physical response - toe tapping, headbanging, dancing, whatever.  Groove is felt more than heard.

2. It breaks up the other elements of the song into short, easily digestible phrases that quickly become comfortably familiar (the 'hook').

In other words, groove is the perfect backbone for music that is meant to be commodified, as it basically flips the 'off' switch to the brain.

August 11, 2007, 11:24:19 AM
Rock rhythm is all based on expectation. You set up a repeated pattern and break it in some enigmatic, or not immediately obvious, way.

I agree with Teh False Profit in that it is like television a flickering of the bright light so we do not notice what's behind the curtain.

August 11, 2007, 01:36:25 PM
No wonder "groove" bands like ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME? are so popular amongst the "semi-mainstrem beer- weed folk".

Demilich have some sick grooves but their music is that last thing you'd call "predictable" .  
Da stopper rittet
Som varte i en livstid
For herren går (inn i slottet fra drømmen)

August 11, 2007, 03:53:59 PM
Yeah I was just going to mention Demilich as the HUGE exception to the "no groove" rule.  Of course much of the quality material during the '87 - '92 death metal explosion has plenty of groove as well.  It's just not, um, stupid..