Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Hipster Metal

Hipster Metal
July 25, 2010, 08:32:45 PM
Death to all hipsters.

Indeed. Hipster Metal, or better known by it's gruesome identity as "Post-Metal," like other post-genres ushers in the death of said genre under the guise of one or two or three seemingly OK bands that have supposedly breathed "new life" into an artform on life support. Everyone that follows afterward (and there are SWARMS of followers) does so lacking a necessary foundation that the first Post-genre bands did indeed have. The result is embarrassment, CHEAP embarrassment and ultimately death.

Post genres are truly like the black plague.

Post-Death Metal (Deathcore)
Post-Thrash (Groove/Mall Metal)
Post-Black Metal (DSBM, Narrow Squirting Bowel Movement, RABM and Blah-Blah BM)
Post-Punk (Gothrock/Deathrock)
Post-Hardcore (Emo)
Post-Metal (Hipster Metal)
Post-Doom (Drone Metal)

Boycott all of these.

Hipster Metal
July 27, 2010, 08:58:35 PM
The best advice for new metal bands trying to make a large impact, I think, is to listen to Engram and learn that you don't have to be a virtuoso and you don't need to overdo it, but you do need spirit in your composition and you do need a goal.

Hipster Metal
July 27, 2010, 11:12:49 PM
There's simply too much production line music (and metal) thanks to the development of such a convenience as protools. Metal should go back to a more organic analog setting, which would hopefully spark a better direction to over digitized and directionless modern metal.

Hipster Metal
July 27, 2010, 11:16:06 PM
I love being ahead of the times.

TASCAM 4-track + three microphones FTW.

Re: Hipster Metal
July 29, 2010, 04:47:48 AM
I love being ahead of the times.

TASCAM 4-track + three microphones FTW.
Cargest - after one listens to Darkthrone and Sort Vokter/Ildjarn, everything else sounds overproduced.

After hearing Incantation whilst riding in my car, my friends asked if I had been listening to death metal.  I said yes and that this most recent foray, my first having been mostly a failure, has thusfar been rather successfull:  Asphyx, Incantation (MTN, OTG), Immolation (HIA, FFG, CTWB), At the Gates (RSO), a renewed interest in Soulside Journey, and Suffocation (PFW).  I was told to check out Behemoth.  I told them that I thought everything through Grom was good to excellent and post-Grom(and quite a bit of Grom...)being homoerotic beyond all comprehension.  He seemed very displeased about that.  Job for a Cowboy and Dying Bride were mentioned, as well as some other shit.  I questioned them a bit about which albums I should pick up; they did not know any.  I asked if there were specific songs to which I could listen; "I just heard a few on youtube." was the only real response.  I have found that asking about albums is a pretty good thermometer for gauging the possible quality of the music being suggested.  If somebody can give me a coherent description of an album then I can safely assume that the person is actually paying some attention to the music and that the music itself is worthy of some degree of interest.  This is the process by which I was introduced to My Bloody Valentine.  The suggestions all seemed rather suspiciously like the super smooth but 'brutal' sounding death metal that Behemoth sums up so perfectly.  Other than Incantation and Immolation, they think the other bands to which I have been listening are black metal(of which I partake greatly) or punk(of which I partake most frequently while driving).  They seem to understand I have a different system of judging music but fail to understand, despite my repeated attempts, that I am looking for BETTER music, not FUNNER music.  I've tried to sit down with them and have them listen to Here In After or The Red in the Sky is Ours and literally point out the interconnecting ideas, but they always opt out. 

Also, I'd like to add:
Fuck Mix(Miscegenated)Tapes and Fuck Shuffle/Random.

July 29, 2010, 08:23:48 PM
Also, I'd like to add:
Fuck Mix(Miscegenated)Tapes

Well, times are different now. When I was young and 89.5 Seton Hall's Priate Radio WSOU still played Morbid Angel double-shots like it was nobody's business, mix-tapes were necessary. Being young (too young to work a job) and with parents unwilling or unable to buy you stuff, the mix-tape was god in sonic form. I have an entire catalog of specific radio shows taped, dated and track listed from that station in the mid 90's.

July 29, 2010, 10:11:04 PM
Also, I'd like to add:
Fuck Mix(Miscegenated)Tapes

Well, times are different now. When I was young and 89.5 Seton Hall's Priate Radio WSOU still played Morbid Angel double-shots like it was nobody's business, mix-tapes were necessary. Being young (too young to work a job) and with parents unwilling or unable to buy you stuff, the mix-tape was god in sonic form. I have an entire catalog of specific radio shows taped, dated and track listed from that station in the mid 90's.
Roger that.  I traded mix tapes through my youth as well, and do recognize their importance in metal.  What I object to is the a la carte 'have it your way' mixes that everybody has.  "This is my dogfucking mix, this is my mix I listen to when being raped by deer, and this is the mix I listen to when I shove the entire bathtub spigot into my asshole and turn it on hot full blast."  More a complaint against shoddy execution of mix tapes, not necissarily their ownmost essence.

July 29, 2010, 11:12:55 PM
As ridiculous as those examples of "playlists" are, they're not too far from the truth.  No, a proper mixtape is more along the lines of "here are a collection of artists and songs which go well with each other, facilitating the display of individual strengths of the bands included".  The compilations I've done for friends are often "here's a selection of the very best of the output of bands exploring style X, giving a good overview and (hopefully) an incentive to delve deeper".

July 30, 2010, 01:25:12 AM
As ridiculous as those examples of "playlists" are, they're not too far from the truth.  No, a proper mixtape is more along the lines of "here are a collection of artists and songs which go well with each other, facilitating the display of individual strengths of the bands included".  The compilations I've done for friends are often "here's a selection of the very best of the output of bands exploring style X, giving a good overview and (hopefully) an incentive to delve deeper".
I've always been one to enjoy the album format over individual songs (as many here will understand), but that aside whenever I approach a friend with recommendations/asked for reccos, I like to follow what you said and give them artists that share some similar trend in their style, for instance for this one friend I started him off with early death metal and death/thrash, then gave him some Slayer-inspired death metal. It's the approach that works best, I think, especially when you're introducing someone to new things.

August 02, 2010, 08:59:13 AM
all hail the mighty mixtape

August 02, 2010, 01:02:02 PM
Dying Bride were mentioned, as well as some other shit.

My Dying Bride are something worth investigating if you are searching out "better" death metal, at least their early output.  The "God is Alone" EP, the "Trinity" collection, and "As the Flower WIthers" are all great examples of early death doom.  If they had continued in this vein, they would likely have gone down in history as one of the sickest death metal bands of all time.  Instead, they began to incorporate more clean vocal and violin/keyboard elements on their next album, "Turn Loose the Swans", almost single-handedly inventing the genre of gothic doom metal.  After that point, it is a mixed bag.  For sentimental reasons I find it hard to reject them completely, but very much understand why others dislike them.

August 06, 2010, 01:24:15 AM

August 07, 2010, 03:59:53 PM
Death to all hipsters.

Indeed. Hipster Metal, or better known by it's gruesome identity as "Post-Metal," like other post-genres ushers in the death of said genre under the guise of one or two or three seemingly OK bands that have supposedly breathed "new life" into an artform on life support. Everyone that follows afterward (and there are SWARMS of followers) does so lacking a necessary foundation that the first Post-genre bands did indeed have. The result is embarrassment, CHEAP embarrassment and ultimately death.

Post genres are truly like the black plague.

Post-Death Metal (Deathcore)
Post-Thrash (Groove/Mall Metal)
Post-Black Metal (DSBM, Narrow Squirting Bowel Movement, RABM and Blah-Blah BM)
Post-Punk (Gothrock/Deathrock)
Post-Hardcore (Emo)
Post-Metal (Hipster Metal)
Post-Doom (Drone Metal)

Boycott all of these.

Whenever I see the musical genre prefix "post", it's like a red flag that means "all charisma removed".

August 08, 2010, 12:18:00 PM
Weigh in on hipster metal here:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Metal/comments/cyf1e/this_hipster_metal_bullshit_is_really_starting_to/

Thanks for making me rage.

The funny thing is that every single "Metalhead" I know agrees with the DLA's stance on Metal - quality first.  I have a distinct feeling that the kinds of people who rant against the usage of the term "hipster metal", and try to come across as "liking" every genre of music under the sun, aren't a part of any of those genres.  They have no specific allegiance, because they have no real understanding.  This has been said before, but I'll reiterate - to them, it's just music.