Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Zombieland was an anti-zombiefilm

Zombieland was an anti-zombiefilm
July 29, 2010, 02:16:09 AM
The traditional zombiefilm is about harsh, immutable reality crashing full-force into the facade of human emotionalism, misconceptions, and escapism, and necessarily obliterating them.  The humans band together in sleepless impotent flight as the unexplainable monsters surround them, wailing at the sight of the unfathomable horrors--as if such pitiful pleas would stir the zombies' dead hearts.  All the loving they can muster to shield each other creates a smokescreen that blinds them to real dangers, and the zombies stroll through effortlessly.  Don't kill him, he's a human, you must love him... even if he's been bitten and will soon turn.  The only way to prolong life--temporarily--for self and loved ones is to plan ahead, not confuse emotions for thought, and always keep fighting.  Fools die quickly, but ultimately, all are mortal.

Zombieland inverts this.  In Zombieland, the protagonists roam aimlessly, chasing simple pleasures as they stumble upon them.  Zombies are the background, the focus is the humans and how their weaknesses and failings are ok because they're nice people who love each other.  Murderous intent is easily forgiven, because to do otherwise would be mean.  And humans aren't mean: zombies are!  Zombies are the jerks that cause all problems, we're innocent.  It wouldn't be fair if they attacked and killed us, so that probably won't happen.  Plus, we love each other really hard, and that helps.  Life's a game, it's ok, relax.  Here, smash this stuff to make you feel better.  Don't be so uptight, buddy!  The people we love will never die.

Re: Zombieland was an anti-zombiefilm
July 29, 2010, 03:03:00 PM
Were you expecting more from a mainstream Hollywood zombie flick? For the last 10-15 years, film has been stuck in repetition, and remakes of past successes are dumbed down to the lowest common denomination so everyone can understand it.. after all, why on Earth would they make a movie that is critical of the audience? Not like they would get the meaning behind it anyhow, but just saying..  Good point, either way. The latest 'new' films (I stress new, since most are rehashed versions of whats already been done) are so pretentious and moronic, I get diarrhea just listening to people talk about them. Just like the latest in metal.

July 29, 2010, 08:09:43 PM
As a longtime horror fan (in film, literature, comics and I'm a convention-goer), I really appreciate your thinking here. I never saw Zombieland in this light, but then again I really never gave two shits about that film in the first place. You're right though, this film runs contrary to the underlying thematics of the horror film and why it appeals to the very same people that are attracted to the likes of Death Metal, Black Metal, et all...

The zombie film is truly a mockery of the human construct in that it is:

harsh, immutable reality crashing full-force into the facade of human emotionalism, misconceptions, and escapism, and necessarily obliterating them.

The ideology communicated via the medium of film and literature of that genre of entertainment bears a striking similarity to that which compels the hearts of Hessians to create their own sonic artform. There is definitely a science to horror and a way of "doing it right," but that film didn't take that approach. Rather, it's much more like post-Horror if that's a real genre, or hipster-Horror maybe.

Ever since the zombie survival guide was published, the scum have been rearing their ugly faces into the horror genre. While Lionsgate gets rich, horror fans are getting more and more let down. I can't think of anything that's more embarrassing than "The Zombie Walk."

July 29, 2010, 08:24:55 PM
I just looked this up, and it appears to be a comedy, which would explain the discrepancy. Certainly sounds like a hipster thing to do, but hardly surprising, given how just about everyone loves to facetiously mention "ZOMBIES!!!!" as a nod to pop culture. It's the same with what has happened to the historical Japanese ninjas, though those weren't anything artistically relevant in the first place.

Still, the potential use of zombies for the purposes of satire and illusion-shattering seems limited. As far as I'm aware, there's nothing even remotely close to the bleakly nihilistic ending of Night of the Living Dead, and even Dawn of the Dead was a goofy 70's popcorn flick for comic book fans and "horror buffs."

Movies are rarely interesting to begin with, of course.