Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Post-INRI Sarcofago

Post-INRI Sarcofago
August 04, 2010, 10:53:55 AM
I think the INRI by Sarcofago is the most severe Metal to come from South America ever, I was curious what men of discerning tastes think about post INRI Sarcofago because as far as I can tell from a cursory listening of Rotting it sounds like a watered down INRI but maybe there is some sublimity to the music I'm not seeing. Is anything else by them worthy?

Re: Post-INRI Sarcofago
August 04, 2010, 11:17:46 AM
"The Laws of Scourge" is their best post-"INRI" effort. I like "Rotting" but it's obviously stumbling, an attempt towards a more dramatic black metal take for which they do not have the necessary subtlety. For the next album they went into a technical, drier, rhythmic Kreator-ian speed/death metal with themes of paranoia and disease, essentially a bit dated for its time which is the only reason I can see for this aggressive and sharp work being ignored. Say it had been released around the time of "Schizophrenia" or "Beneath the Remains"... it might have been another thing altogether.

August 04, 2010, 06:28:35 PM
"The Laws of Scourge" is their best post-"INRI" effort. I like "Rotting" but it's obviously stumbling, an attempt towards a more dramatic black metal take for which they do not have the necessary subtlety. For the next album they went into a technical, drier, rhythmic Kreator-ian speed/death metal with themes of paranoia and disease, essentially a bit dated for its time which is the only reason I can see for this aggressive and sharp work being ignored. Say it had been released around the time of "Schizophrenia" or "Beneath the Remains"... it might have been another thing altogether.
I was listening to the mp3 included with that album's review at deathmetal.org when my dad walked in my room, whereupon he asked me why I was listening to Ministry. That comment greatly amused me.

September 10, 2010, 09:38:51 AM
The Laws of Scourge bounces between classic Sarcofago and hamfisted Kreator/Sepultura worship. I remember my initial listen after tracking the album down which took a surprising amount of time given how popular the band is containing both moments where I thought to myself "oh wow this is really under appreciated for no reason!" followed by "oh...that explains it"

September 10, 2010, 02:29:18 PM
The style change was a common denominator in most proto/death-black metal bands from Brasil, in 1989/1990
Sarcófago, Vulcano, Mutilator, Dorsal Atlântica, etc. changed skin for 3rd time (many started as heavy metal) and just like Slayer was a main influence for this bands in early/mid 80´s, Metallica´s popularity and the arose of bands like Testament changed things.

September 10, 2010, 07:12:06 PM
Maybe it was some 'Tallica or Testament at work, but most of these bands followed Sepultura's lead.

September 12, 2010, 05:59:47 PM
I was dissapointed when i heard the rest of Sarcofago discography... "The Laws Of Scourge" and "Rotting" are good, but it is not Sarcofago IMO. Nothing tops "DEEEEAAATHRAAAAAAAAAAAAAASH!"