Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Ethnic metal

Ethnic metal
August 08, 2010, 12:37:18 AM
Psalms of Conscious Martyrdom, Stigmata’s third studio album, has taken that presence a step further and is currently shrieking out loud that Stigmata really are the godfathers of original Sri Lankan heavy metal, and that 10 years on, they’re still the greatest. True to their style, the ‘Stigs’ have incorporated into Psalms a refreshingly Sri Lankan sound, with traditional drums and percussion being used heavily and boldly throughout the eight-track CD. A majority of the record pays homage to their roots, bringing back memories of the days of Andura, while introducing a distinctly new sound that is both uniquely novel and thankfully familiar at the same time.

‘The Summoning Cry of Aries’ is a powerful blend of metal, Sri Lankan ‘yak bera’ drums and a catchy 6/8 beat that leaves you pining for a live concert. The final track, ‘March of the Saints’, an 11-minute epic, is my personal favourite.

http://www.sundaytimes.lk/100808/Magazine/sundaytimesmirror_06.html

I am interested to see if anyone besides the Norse will make traditional metal. The Mexicans, Norse and now Sri Lankans are trying.

Re: Ethnic metal
August 08, 2010, 09:51:01 AM
Numerous bands have made attempts in this vein. It almost always ends up being shit, because either 1) there's a failure on the bands' part to realize that metal is a fully Western form of music and cannot truly be incorporated into other cultural musics without an acknowledgment of that fact, or 2) more often, the ethnic instrumentation is little more than a gimmick.

I do remember reading an old text file somewhere on ANUS about a metal band incorporating Native American music. It interested me, but I was never able to find anywhere to download the music. The band wasn't even listed on M-A, from what I recall.

August 09, 2010, 11:04:26 PM
2) more often, the ethnic instrumentation is little more than a gimmick.

They confuse the material results of culture with the ideas, systems, and force that were the necessary precursors.  The very same reason government subsidized housing is terrible and the USSR collapsed.

August 10, 2010, 04:24:47 AM
I do remember reading an old text file somewhere on ANUS about a metal band incorporating Native American music.

Sepultura - Roots

European decendants of New World colonists pretending to be related to the local forest people is not authentic ethnic metal. Later Bathory on the other hand is authentic ethnic metal.

August 10, 2010, 07:25:49 AM
Nay, scourge. It was Nesecreta, referenced here. Funny now to see a Heidenlarm review speak favorably of flutes in metal...

August 10, 2010, 07:41:50 AM
Nay, scourge. It was Nesecreta, referenced here. Funny now to see a Heidenlarm review speak favorably of flutes in metal...

I don't know if I'm the troll or the trolled, but my impression was that Heidenlarm's "feature reviews" ("Originally from "Goreganic Vegetable" zine"???) concern imagined and invented releases.

August 11, 2010, 08:16:04 PM
Heh - rereading that section now, after having stumbled upon it long enough ago that it became little more than a hazy recollection, I'm a bit embarassed at how painfully obvious it is.

This might be a valid example of ethnic metal: http://metal-archives.com/release.php?id=22358 Wish I could give some indication as to its quality, but I haven't heard it in a very long time. Pretty sure you can ignore the typically blustering review, though.

August 11, 2010, 09:03:04 PM
Zpoan Vtenz was interesting for sure and like side band Poccolus got lots of praise from generally trustworthy reviewers, but there was something in there that left me hanging, like the album had been patchworked from separate pieces of Burzum-esque black metal, folk and progressive keyboard music. And yes, I know it's the same weirdness I tend to argue FOR in regards to Isengard's "Vinterskugge". Personal preference favors Skyforger ("Kauja Pie Saules"), Nokturnal Mortum ("Nechrist"), Temnozor ("Folkstorm of the Azure Nights") and Metsatöll ("Hiiekoda"), admittedly more blatant takes on the concept in every way. How come the Celts (Cruachan's "Tuatha Na Gael", Skyclad's "Prince of the Poverty Line", Ragnarok's "Domgeorn"...) weren't mentioned yet?

August 11, 2010, 10:48:03 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MU1pYL5SApk

About south american civilizations

December 22, 2010, 03:19:33 PM
Psalms of Conscious Martyrdom, Stigmata’s third studio album, has taken that presence a step further and is currently shrieking out loud that Stigmata really are the godfathers of original Sri Lankan heavy metal, and that 10 years on, they’re still the greatest. True to their style, the ‘Stigs’ have incorporated into Psalms a refreshingly Sri Lankan sound, with traditional drums and percussion being used heavily and boldly throughout the eight-track CD. A majority of the record pays homage to their roots, bringing back memories of the days of Andura, while introducing a distinctly new sound that is both uniquely novel and thankfully familiar at the same time.

‘The Summoning Cry of Aries’ is a powerful blend of metal, Sri Lankan ‘yak bera’ drums and a catchy 6/8 beat that leaves you pining for a live concert. The final track, ‘March of the Saints’, an 11-minute epic, is my personal favourite.

http://www.sundaytimes.lk/100808/Magazine/sundaytimesmirror_06.html

I am interested to see if anyone besides the Norse will make traditional metal. The Mexicans, Norse and now Sri Lankans are trying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmC9I5Meq_0

December 22, 2010, 05:55:33 PM
Primordial, Samain, Mictlatecuhtli, Ayasoltec, Xibalba, Chtohnic

December 22, 2010, 06:42:29 PM
Primordial, Samain, Mictlatecuhtli, Ayasoltec, Xibalba, Chtohnic

Illapa. Although they're more like stoner music for war metal fanatics.

December 27, 2010, 11:48:11 AM
Does Absurd - "Grimmige Volksmusik" qualify ?

December 27, 2010, 08:34:44 PM
Metsatöll ("Hiiekoda")

I have seen them on stage a few days ago. "It's the first time we visit your beatiful country. I know you don't understand what we sing about because our lyrics are in estonian. So here's the next song !" They are using many estonian instruments, it was quite interesting :)

Here is Hiiekoda live with english translation.

December 31, 2010, 05:20:15 PM
I just discovered (this morning actually) Tengger Cavalry, which is described as Chinese Pagan Folk/Black Metal.  I would best describe it as doom/sludge in the style of Corrupted mixed with throat singing and erhu and various other Chinese/Mongol instrumentation.  Having long been a fan of throat singing from Asian steppe peoples, I find this quite enjoyable.  Before actually listening I figured it would be simply juxtaposed schlock, but I quickly found that to be an inaccurate assessment. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo8jAh-8us0