Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Bands that you've changed your mind about.

Bands that you've changed your mind about.
August 08, 2010, 06:14:33 PM
I've noticed that my musical preference has changed quite radically throughout the years of listening to metal. With this, I've changed my mind about a certain number of bands, in that I now like and dislike certain bands that I once held the opposite views of. As an example, SOME of these bands include:

Bands that I didn't like but now love:
Obituary
Black Sabbath
Mid-Career Mayhem (DMDS)
Coroner
Old Krisiun
Morpheus Descends
Nuclear Assault
Judas Priest
Exodus
Sidenote: I've always liked Burzum, but nowadays I have a much greater appreciation for the works.

Bands that I used to love but now can't really stomach:
Early Mayhem
Krieg
Vlad Tepes
Von
Profanatica
Havohej
Judas Iscariot
Drudkh

People change every seven years apparently, so maybe your musical taste in metal might change alongside this audio-metamorphosis. Maybe it's that people get bored hearing the same old shit after a while, and need something that moves and exists outside the framework of the standard.

"I hung there on a cross as you are hanging, and I lived, thanks to circumstances and a stamina peculiar to barbarians. But you civilised men are soft; your lives are not nailed to your spines as are ours. Your fortitude consists mainly in inflicting torment, not in enduring it. You will be dead before sundown." - REH

Re: Bands that you've changed your mind about.
August 08, 2010, 07:19:10 PM
Asphyx and Incantation, for me. Both The Rack and Onward to Golgotha came across as decent, but generic and otherwise unremarkable, when I first heard them. After a few months I gave them another shot and now I see their greatness. Ildjarn too, should be an obvious one... did anyone like his music instantly(referring to the metal stuff of course)?

As for bands I used to love but now don't... That list would be enormous.
HE WHO REAPS STORMS, SOWS WINDS. HE WHO SOWS WINDS, REAPS STORMS.

"It is better to go to a house of mourning than to go to a house of feasting, for death is the destiny of every man; the living should take this to heart."
-Ecclesiastes 7:2

August 08, 2010, 09:32:08 PM
Ildjarn too, should be an obvious one... did anyone like his music instantly(referring to the metal stuff of course)?

I definitely did enjoy "Forest Poetry" right away, having purchased it in the 90's on a Summoning member's recommendation.

I've hardly experienced any radical mind shifts, but I used to be somewhat frigid (despite liking a song here and there) towards Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Manilla Road and Fates Warning whereas now they make my top lists.

In '96-'98 bands such as Dissection, Tiamat, Therion, Cradle of Filth and Satyricon got heavy rotation and I wouldn't say I have turned against those best albums by them, but they certainly don't ignite excitement or passion anymore.

I used to like Nargaroth and Velvet Cacoon before I learnt about the scenester bullshit these people are involved in. I still can see what I liked in their music, but they're not good enough to warrant any interest in such cheap, commercial scams.

August 09, 2010, 03:24:59 AM
It's interesting I guess to reflect on things that took some digestion and time to absorb before I could come to understand and appreciate the work more, and for things that seemed really cool and sparked my interest at first but later grew to bore the tears out of me.

Bands/albums I didn't like/hated that I now love:
-Gorguts "Obscura" (really, it took about 10 listens and THEN some time not trying to listen to it before it clicked)
-Deicide
-Dismember
-Autopsy "Acts of the Unspeakable"
-Deeds of Flesh
-Bolt Thrower (never disliked them, just thought anything past "In Battle..." was boring before relistening to Warmaster and a few others)

Bands/albums I liked/loved that I have since let go of or cannot stand:
-Majority of later OR non-Norwegian black metal (I'm thinking bands like Behexen, Sargeist, Drudkh, Destroyer 666 (exception perhaps of Unchain the Wolves), much of Angantyr, Peste Noire...)
-Cancer
-most grindcore

August 09, 2010, 03:56:40 AM
Dead Infection - used to think they were annoying but I found the only record I heard and didn't enjoy was "Surgical Disembowelment"
Destruction - thought they were boring until I re-listened 5 years after I originally had
Primordial - debut sucked (thats what I heard first), but I've liked everything else so far
Conqueror - sounded like pure noise the first time
Blasphemy - same as above
Graveland - didn't like "Thousand Swords" production, but I listened to more of his catalog and now I highly enjoy most of their work. I still think the guitar tone should be a bit stronger on TS though
Ungod - bored me at first listen, but it took a while to sink in

I dont even want to think about bands I used to like and dont anymore. I cant type all of that out.
No.

Having reviewed the thread, baby Jesus is most definitely weeping at this point.

August 09, 2010, 06:01:00 AM
I definitely did enjoy "Forest Poetry" right away, having purchased it in the 90's on a Summoning member's recommendation.
Haha, that's pretty interesting. That a Summoning member would suggest music so diametrically opposed in its aesthetics to his own. In my experience, many fans of either band have little appreciation for the other. Further evidence of metal's substance having a common thread even among styles that appear different on the surface, perhaps?
HE WHO REAPS STORMS, SOWS WINDS. HE WHO SOWS WINDS, REAPS STORMS.

"It is better to go to a house of mourning than to go to a house of feasting, for death is the destiny of every man; the living should take this to heart."
-Ecclesiastes 7:2

August 09, 2010, 06:26:06 AM
Further evidence of metal's substance having a common thread even among styles that appear different on the surface, perhaps?

True. Yet, it's not such a stretch if you remember Summoning's demos and the debut, which leads us to another interesting point - the progression from "Beheritian" sounds to a more gothic (in the proper sense) one was very elegant and natural, incorporating elements from previous work but shifting the emphasis. One can say this about Graveland as well. So either (a) a good musician can recognize and use the strengths of each substyle alike, or (b) the discipline, subtlety and raw power utilized in creating effective primal/barbaric black metal is invaluable also for the later epic/symphonic grandeur, which gets botched by musicians such as Therion who think more heavy metal.

August 09, 2010, 07:08:53 AM
The song Dreamer by Super Trooper
As a kid I thought it was kiddy crap, then one day I got high and listened to it

Talking METAL...
Cannibal Corpse and most brutal bands were really difficult for me to grasp the melody and rhythm when I first started listening to metal.
I only knew about Metallica for many years.
Once I picked up a guitar around age 22, I started getting into the heavy stuff.
Now 25, I enjoy the rhythms most I guess.

Morbid Angel's Formulas Fatal To The Flesh as become my most pleasurable lullaby,
someday, it may take many years... I will play guitar just like that.

August 09, 2010, 11:55:11 AM
For me, I used to hate these:

-Eucharist "A Velvet Creation" I used to feel it was very boxy for some reason. Now I love them.
-Creepmime used to bore me to tears.
-Deicide's early material. I found it really stupid, until I realized that it was sort of supposed to be like that.
-Deceased. Thought sometimes the songs could get to long on their 2nd and 3rd albums, but I've found from what I've heard now to be very cool.
-Old Gorefest. Used to think of their music as "fat" for some reason. Ended up loving them now.
-Bolt Thrower. I really don't understand now why I didn't like them, they rip. Maybe it felt too chunky earlier.
-Grave. I know some don't like them here, but I find them great now when in the past I hated them.
"The traveler with empty pockets will sing in the thief 's face." - Juvenal

"When an inner situation is not made conscious, it appears outside as fate." - Carl Jung

"Time spent with cats is never wasted." - Sigmund Freud

August 09, 2010, 11:15:36 PM
i would say

-Grave
-Asphyx
-Athiest
- Therion (new Therion still sucks in my opinion)
-St. Vitus
- Gehenna
Impaled crucifixion, Compassion forgot, Eternal damnation, Once upon a cross- Deicide

September 10, 2010, 09:35:15 AM
Bands I now love that I formerly did not

Judas Priest
Motorhead
Suffocation(at least Effigy)
Dissection
Heaven and Hell era Sabbath

Use to love but not so much now

Sodom
Iron Maiden

Lettin' nillas know.

I hope our aryan overlords will emerge form their l secret base below antartica and wipe all of those under 500 of IQ And don't have the ability to mindtravel into the Xerces Galaxy.

September 11, 2010, 05:09:31 AM
Perhaps what should be further noted is not the bands that are now disliked, but the bands that survived this "transitory period" of deciding worth.  Surely the classics will always sustain, and this is what should be acknowledged, why these bands still have inherent value and continuous playability.

My listen would go as follows:

"Bands that I used to love but now can't really stomach:"
90% of the entire metal genre

"Bands that I didn't like but now love:"
Classical music

September 11, 2010, 11:38:14 PM
Suffocation (esp. Effigy)
Mayhem
Dismember
Entombed
Darkthrone
Immolation
Incantation
Judas Priest
Profanatica
Sarcofago
Summoning
Cryptopsy
Ambient and Classical music

Too much to name

September 12, 2010, 12:25:46 AM
Perhaps what should be further noted is not the bands that are now disliked, but the bands that survived this "transitory period" of deciding worth.  Surely the classics will always sustain, and this is what should be acknowledged, why these bands still have inherent value and continuous playability.

My listen would go as follows:

90% of the entire metal genre

Classical music

So metal sucks and classical rules? What an insight.
Lettin' nillas know.

I hope our aryan overlords will emerge form their l secret base below antartica and wipe all of those under 500 of IQ And don't have the ability to mindtravel into the Xerces Galaxy.

September 12, 2010, 02:33:44 AM
Well, if his post didn't have much information/insight, neither did yours. Especially having concluded that his opinion was that metal sucks. What about the obvious 10% of the entire metal genre which he didn't include? Perhaps his experiences weren't exactly original, but certainly reflective of what I think a lot of us went through as well.

However, I think you do you have a point in that the point of this thread is to give specific information and name the bands and I would gather that the people looking through each others' lists would be interested in the constants between their respective lists.

But alas, though I had a different journey with all of the bands I've liked/disliked in whatever order/succession and however frequently, the underlying theme here is that there is more than meets the eye and that in order to appreciate music you have to be open to give highly-regarded pieces of art/attitudes/behaviors a chance before you conclude with utmost certainty that they hold no value or interest to you. And sure, that may seem obvious, but how easy is it to forget that our perspectives are constantly changing in ever the slightest ways so as to allow you some leverage into being able to accept a new idea that you were once against?