Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Marxist liberals attempt to discredit Heidegger as a philospher

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/09/books/09philosophy.html?pagewanted=2&_r=1

Liberals and modern people misinterpret the foundation of philosophy, only ideas and patterns that fit within the Marxist paradigm are accepted as "philosophy" by the Magian masses.

Drawing on new evidence, the author, Emmanuel Faye, argues fascist and racist ideas are so woven into the fabric of Heidegger’s theories that they no longer deserve to be called philosophy.

Libraries, too, should stop classifying Heidegger’s collected works (which have been sanitized and abridged by his family) as philosophy and instead include them under the history of Nazism. These measures would function as a warning label, like a skull-and-crossbones on a bottle of poison, to prevent the careless spread of his most odious ideas, which Mr. Faye lists as the exaltation of the state over the individual, the impossibility of morality, anti-humanism and racial purity.

More signs of the decline:

Without understanding the soil in which Heidegger’s philosophy is rooted, Mr. Faye argues, people may not realize that his ideas can grow in troubling directions. Heidegger’s dictum to be authentic and free oneself from conventional restraints, for example, can lead to a rejection of morality. The denunciation of reason and soulless modernism can devolve into crude anti-intellectualism and the glorification of “blood and soil.”

And last, but not least; here comes the petitioning for thought crime and banning of "heretical" ideas.

After all, the classic American position on how liberal societies should treat dangerous ideas is worth more discussion.

It is the usual ad hominem logical fallacy from these pseudo intellectual creatures. Because we don't like him, he is in error, therefore we will attempt to silence him. This is what passes for the prevailing intellect that as it so happens about two thirds of the people are sick of. Now, they aren't wrong because of their unpopularity. They are wrong because while the ways they propose appear to function on paper, once implemented, they consistently lead to degradation of societies. People are generally aware of how this all plays out thanks to history, especially that of the Soviets.

I believe by pushing away the non-modern traditional sentiments of people - those manifest, long evolved traits of ours, they are over intellectualizing the principles of their extreme social change proposition. This is probably an effect of having an out group or more than one introduced to a white Western European civilization during past centuries. The out group(s) historically feel threatened by or inferior to this native tradition and seek to "change" (eliminate) it entirely. I also believe there is an in group appeasement personality type enabling this alien mentality to run amok.

You'll notice Mao at least paid lip service to the concept of Chinese traditions as necessary for the integrity of the people.

intellectualization:

An ego defence mechanism by which unacceptable emotions are transformed by explanations, which provide excuses for the undesirable behaviour.

http://www.answers.com/topic/intellectualization
”The Revolution ends by devouring its own children” – Jacques Mallet du Pan, 1793

I would be interested to know why Heidegger was an anti-semite since a lot the NS anti Jewish literature was based on the Protocols of the Elders of Zion, which was bogus conspiracy nonsense.  

Germany had some volunteers in the earlier Spanish Civil War. The tide of Bolshevism was rising in the east and even in Berlin. They found a common factor in these events and the overtly medieval brutality in each of these pieces of history left no questions.
”The Revolution ends by devouring its own children” – Jacques Mallet du Pan, 1793

What's next? Getting Wagner out of classical music to put him into  "Anti-Semitic German Nationalist Music"?

This all goes back quite a long ways and it only stops during eras when the two cultures are in separate living spaces. http://judaism.about.com/od/daysofmourning/f/temple2.htm

I know I should probably just do the reading myself, and I will, at some stage, but - can someone briefly elucidate Heidegger's connection to Nietzsche? I know Heidegger's Nietzsche interpretations are famous and his published lectures on Nietzsche are still almost authoritative today. I also know Heidegger considered the Eternal Recurrence of the Same, which he calls the problem of "Being" , the essential contribution Nietzsche made. And of course, Heidegger's most famous work deals with being also. I also know that both Heidegger and Nietzsche were against metaphysics (which some of you might call Traditionalism). Some discussion on this would be appreciated (and yes, I will read the Wikipedia article...).

You'll notice Mao at least paid lip service to the concept of Chinese traditions as necessary for the integrity of the people.

And when the USSR was experiencing its most dire moments in 1941, Stalin was quick to invoke Russian Patriotism.  "Following the glorious example of Kutuzov, Suvorov, Nevsky, and Lenin."  -I. Stalin one month after the beginning of Barbarossa.  Also, a number of high awards for military bravery were named after Russian historical heroes.

It is also interesting to note that all the people in the article who expressed doubts about Heidegger are jews... the author of the article is named Cohen.

“You cannot read most of the important philosophers of recent times without taking Heidegger’s thought into account.” Mr. Rorty added, however, that “the smell of smoke from the crematories” will “linger on their pages.”
You cannot read this article without taking Marx and Lenin into account.  I must add that the frozen winds of the gulag will whisper between the sibilants.  

edit for grammar.
"Just like your ancestors
you will fight today."

-Rob Darken

What's next? Getting Wagner out of classical music to put him into  "Anti-Semitic German Nationalist Music"?

Nietzsche would have approved ;)

And when the USSR was experiencing its most dire moments in 1941, Stalin was quick to invoke Russian Patriotism.  "Following the glorious example of Kutuzov, Suvorov, Nevsky, and Lenin."  -I. Stalin one month after the beginning of Barbarossa.  Also, a number of high awards for military bravery were named after Russian historical heroes.

Yes, just so. Before Stalin called for a nationalist defense of their mother Russia, the Germans were stomping all over them. Things got harder for Germany after that.

Mao says:
An army without culture is a dull-witted army, and a dull-witted army cannot defeat the enemy.

Why encourage cultureless individualism for white Western Europeans? To make them, uniquely among all the other people in the world, atomized dullards unable to defend themselves.

Nietzsche would have approved ;)

Nietzsche's approval isn't useful. His wisdom is useful.

I know I should probably just do the reading myself, and I will, at some stage, but - can someone briefly elucidate Heidegger's connection to Nietzsche? I know Heidegger's Nietzsche interpretations are famous and his published lectures on Nietzsche are still almost authoritative today. I also know Heidegger considered the Eternal Recurrence of the Same, which he calls the problem of "Being" , the essential contribution Nietzsche made. And of course, Heidegger's most famous work deals with being also. I also know that both Heidegger and Nietzsche were against metaphysics (which some of you might call Traditionalism). Some discussion on this would be appreciated (and yes, I will read the Wikipedia article...).

"Nietzsche's basic metaphysical position may be defined by two statements. First, the basic character of beings as such is "will to power."
Second, Being is "eternal recurrence of the same."   Ch. 5, Vol I - "Nietzsche" by Martin Heidegger

As you can see, Heidegger tied it all together, Will to Power, Eternal recurrence and Being. I'm no Heidegger expert by a long shot and often find his thinking more than slightly challenging. Perhaps an old forum member Nile-577 will chime in - he is as well versed on all things Heidegger as any I've personally encountered.

This all goes back quite a long ways and it only stops during eras when the two cultures are in separate living spaces. http://judaism.about.com/od/daysofmourning/f/temple2.htm

Hey, I agree. I think every country that is being infected by this kind of thinking should be separated with areas for conservative people and the leftists. It would be good to let people who want to be modern and leftist try their thing, while pople who think immigrants are bad, do not tolerate disrespect towards jesus christ or god, don't want to be liberal on sex, want respect and no gay parades etc. live on another place with other laws.
You're quite hostile.

I got a right to be hostile, man, my people been persecuted!

Hey, I agree. I think every country that is being infected by this kind of thinking should be separated with areas for conservative people and the leftists. It would be good to let people who want to be modern and leftist try their thing, while pople who think immigrants are bad, do not tolerate disrespect towards jesus christ or god, don't want to be liberal on sex, want respect and no gay parades etc. live on another place with other laws.

Self-determination 101: the nation exists for those with a cultural identity ("conservatives").

Everyone else can ride the S.S. America to the bottom of the sea.
Sententia Ex Nihilo

http://www.wsws.org/articles/2000/apr2000/heid-a03.shtml  A Marxist examination of Heidegger's work.  Must be trash though because Marxists are pseudo-intellectuals right?

These measures would function as a warning label, like a skull-and-crossbones on a bottle of poison, to prevent the careless spread of his most odious ideas, which Mr. Faye lists as the exaltation of the state over the individual, the impossibility of morality, anti-humanism and racial purity.
I don't see what's wrong with any of these ideas.  In fact, Mr. Faye may have just sold me on Heidegger.