Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Amebix

Amebix
August 09, 2010, 11:12:34 PM
I'm quite satisfied with the new Amebix e.p. Its refreshing to see them playing again.

Re: Amebix
August 09, 2010, 11:57:03 PM
I would love to see them play live. I found Redux to be very disappointing. The re-recordings are completely lacking in the energy that made their old stuff so awesome.

August 10, 2010, 04:40:55 AM
I'm sure years of drug abuse and squatting will take the energy out of any man or men eventually. They had a pretty pure vision of the music they were creating, and i feel like they can do no wrong especially in the later years of their life. Seeing Amebix live sparked some sort of hope in my mind at least, that maybe some things can remain pure over time and unless Amebix writes an album that sounds like half the bullshit that is being marketed by media as extreme these days, I will always love Amebix

August 10, 2010, 07:05:52 PM
I would love to see them play live. I found Redux to be very disappointing. The re-recordings are completely lacking in the energy that made their old stuff so awesome.

There's only so much that you can expect from Re-recordings. In this case however, I think this is one of the better examples of this exercise. Since their type of music didn't 'merit' big label backing and funding to record properly to compliment their exceptionally muscular sound (for being a punk band anyway), this revisiting shows what it would have been like if there was simply just sound adjustments and more time to practice.

Understandably, they recorded two of the three tracks in one single take, which I think is noble and honest. Considering the silent influence they had on early Bathory and on a larger scale, the following practitioners of Black and Death Metal, it's interesting to hear a lot of those post-Amebix innovations creep their way into their music nowadays. Burzum's new album is like this without the cool.

I'm definitely excited to hear their new live album as well as a new album that may follow. I think Redux would have been better to compliment the beginning or at least the end of the live album. Redux however clocks in at 17-21 minutes depending on whether you bought the actual or digital version. That's longer than most Hardcore debuts, and frankly it ranks in at a higher tier of meaningfulness in my opinion.

Everyone should own a copy of this. Highly recommended.