Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Darkthrone's Death Metal

Darkthrone's Death Metal
August 12, 2010, 07:28:10 PM
Strange music indeed. One could easily call it Psychedelic Death Metal with some Doom or Autopsy on mushrooms. I think what one instantly understands by listening to Soulside Journey is that somewhere along the lines, Fenriz was extremely serious about WANTING to play simply, opposed to passing simple music off as art when its actually your limitation.

Starting with the last two demos before the full length ("Cromlech" and "Thulcandra"), moving foward with "Soulside Journey" and ending with a later release of "Goatlord," methinks that these efforts are aborted gems that aren't revisited (probably by the band too...) frequently.

They can can proggy at times, but altogether they refuse to be forgotten, since I know a lot of people who will say "Goatlord is actually my favorite Darkthrone 'album'".

I THINK there might be an aversion to this era of Darkthrone (or should I say Dark Throne - to denote the Death Metal era?) on the ANUS forums, but I'm not sure. Any thoughts?
"I hung there on a cross as you are hanging, and I lived, thanks to circumstances and a stamina peculiar to barbarians. But you civilised men are soft; your lives are not nailed to your spines as are ours. Your fortitude consists mainly in inflicting torment, not in enduring it. You will be dead before sundown." - REH

Re: Darkthrone's Death Metal
August 13, 2010, 12:08:36 AM
I've never given Soulside Journey enough of my time.  I've always had something better to listen to.  Cromlech is a demo which I thoroughly enjoy, though, so perhaps now is the time to delve into Soulside Journey.  I've never listened to Goatlord.  I feel like some part of me is telling me to save it for a later date, for some reason.

August 13, 2010, 12:20:21 AM
I thought "Goatlord" was trash at first listen.  I gave it a listen a few months later and loved it, it has such a strange sounding atmosphere, watery and dooming guitars with the weird woman chants in the background.  I couldnt listen to it all day long but every once in awhile, it is a treat for my ears.
He who fears the dark, shall never see the light
http://www.last.fm/user/Beastofsodom

August 13, 2010, 12:29:40 AM
These many years later - out of the whole Darkthrone catalog, I probably spin Soulside Journey more often than any other work by a fair bit. Evidently my Death Metal roots run especially deep...and it was my first exposure to D-throne back when. 

August 13, 2010, 05:55:24 AM
Soulside Journey is definitely one of death metal's more outstanding releases. In both quality and uniqueness. There's very little else I can think of that is similar to it - in fact, all that comes to mind is Ceremonium's sophomore album, which hardly counts since it obviously has Soulside Journey as an influence.
HE WHO REAPS STORMS, SOWS WINDS. HE WHO SOWS WINDS, REAPS STORMS.

"It is better to go to a house of mourning than to go to a house of feasting, for death is the destiny of every man; the living should take this to heart."
-Ecclesiastes 7:2

August 13, 2010, 06:07:54 AM
Starting with the last two demos before the full length ("Cromlech" and "Thulcandra"), moving foward with "Soulside Journey" and ending with a later release of "Goatlord," methinks that these efforts are aborted gems that aren't revisited (probably by the band too...) frequently.

Influenced by later reputation, many reviews are subject to revisionism. Back in the day, "Soulside Journey" was massively popular / note also the very favorable review on ANUS. See also the comments by contemporaries here.

Their sophomore, "A Blaze in the Northern Sky", was by many considered a mishap and took time to sink in. Still, from our distance it's probably easy to spot the musical similarities as well. One could even say that the "retro-action" which culminates in their latest albums, was started then, by emphasizing Celtic Frost '85 and Bathory '85 riffs over psychedelic horror.

August 13, 2010, 05:16:41 PM
Making use of the musical tritone, also known as "The Devil's Interval",[20] the song's ominous sound and dark lyrics pushed the band in a darker direction,[21][22] a stark contrast to the popular music of the late 1960s, which was dominated by flower power, folk music, and hippie culture. Inspired by the new sound, the band changed their name to Black Sabbath in August 1969,[23] and made the decision to focus on writing similar material, in an attempt to create the musical equivalent of horror films.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Sabbath

@ Devamitra, thanks for that article! Very tasteful indeed. Deathmetal.org is such a golden website.

and such, Black Sabbath too… but most importantly we had a mission statement: all the riffs should be able to slow down and play on a synth as horror movie effects.

http://www.deathmetal.org/deathmetal-org-articles/iconoclasm-sweeps-norvegia-impressions-of-norwegian-death-metal

"I hung there on a cross as you are hanging, and I lived, thanks to circumstances and a stamina peculiar to barbarians. But you civilised men are soft; your lives are not nailed to your spines as are ours. Your fortitude consists mainly in inflicting torment, not in enduring it. You will be dead before sundown." - REH

August 14, 2010, 01:08:21 PM
I've just listened to Soulside Journey straight through for what must be only the fourth time in my life.  It was every bit as eye-opening as the previous three times, if not more so.  I have no idea why I don't listen to this album with more frequency.

Caffeine

August 14, 2010, 08:23:14 PM
I haven't really listened to much of their death metal stuff, but I've listened to a bit of soulside journey.  Personally, I like it.

August 14, 2010, 08:47:20 PM
I've just listened to Soulside Journey straight through for what must be only the fourth time in my life.  It was every bit as eye-opening as the previous three times, if not more so.  I have no idea why I don't listen to this album with more frequency.
It's not easy to digest, but aquired tastes tend to be the ones with the most lasting appeal.
Sententia Ex Nihilo

August 14, 2010, 09:26:01 PM
I'd like to see a series of paintings depicting the all the lyrical passages.
Let us go beyond "you" and "me"! Feel cosmically!

Friedrich Nietzsche

August 14, 2010, 11:03:53 PM
One of the more finest examples of death metal, even though I prefer UAFM. I have always wondered why death metal hasn't dwelled more into similar atmospheric territory as Soulside Journey, with more spiritual (and should I say transcendental?) undertones, rather than the grotesque.

Caffeine

August 15, 2010, 12:33:20 AM
One of the more finest examples of death metal, even though I prefer UAFM. I have always wondered why death metal hasn't dwelled more into similar atmospheric territory as Soulside Journey, with more spiritual (and should I say transcendental?) undertones, rather than the grotesque.

Well, I'm sure there's a good bit of that out there.  It'll be hard to find.  Cromlech is such a badass song, if a band picked up from that style I'd be all of their album(s). 

August 15, 2010, 03:15:58 PM
If you could ever "chill out" to a death metal album, this would be it.  Downright relaxing.  A hallmark of good metal, in my mind, is when you can literally hear how at ease the artists are with themselves.
His Majesty at the Swamp / Black Arts Lead to Everlasting Sins / Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism / Oath of Black Blood / Privilege of Evil / Dawn of Possession / In Battle There is No Law / Thousand Swords / To Mega Therion

August 15, 2010, 03:30:22 PM
If you could ever "chill out" to a death metal album, this would be it.  Downright relaxing.  A hallmark of good metal, in my mind, is when you can literally hear how at ease the artists are with themselves.

I was trying to explain exactly this to my cousin last night.  She asked me what music I would listen to to "chill out", what music I would say was "trippy", and I instantly thought of this, having listened to it only the day before.  So, I played it to her, and she finally got it after about two hours, though she disagreed with the vocal style used.