Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Do you value content over appearence?

Do you value content over appearence?
August 15, 2010, 01:41:28 AM
If so, would you consider that it is possible, since what matters is the essence, that good hip hop could be made that is at the same level of good metal, and above mediocre metal?

Re: Do you value content over appearence?
August 15, 2010, 04:40:44 AM

Aesthetics are a reflection of 'content' unless you're dealing with parrots (i.e. today's metal bands).

Hip hop music is an expression of a degenerate urban subculture. From my perspective this means that nothing of value can come from it without it transforming into something entirely different.

Caffeine

August 15, 2010, 06:20:51 AM
Hip hop music is an expression of a degenerate urban subculture. From my perspective this means that nothing of value can come from it without it transforming into something entirely different.

I could never get into rap or hip hop; just as you have, I've suspected the culture as well.  I love how they flaunt it, as if they have something special to offer.  I try to remain open-minded, but.....where's the depth in such music?  I guess it's just not for me.  Although, it's easy to recognize good and intelligent music without enjoying it (such as the difference between attraction and recognizing beauty in sexuality), but concerning the hip hop crowd there hasn't been anything that's stuck out to me.  Is it really that hard to find exceptional hip hop?  I've actually tried, literally tried....but to no avail. 

August 15, 2010, 07:15:06 AM
"...since what matters is the essence" is a dangerous forum path; this could certainly lead to "Was Wagner the first metalhead?"

Does appearance constitute content, partially?
And does appearance express content?
Viscerally, do we want to see Slayer with nice haircuts and khaki trousers?

Regarding good hip-hop: is it possible that good 1st grade writing could be made, that is at the same level as good 11th grade writing?

We can probably agree on the essence(s) of Metal>>>Romanticism, vir, power-worship, meditation on death/impermanence, beauty of horror, etc.

Hip-hop that takes street-life horror as it's subject may approach those.   MC Eiht, Scarface, Clipse, and KRS-One come to mind.  Yet these remain strictly personalized, logical narratives.

Musically, hip-hop will doubtfully ever deliver what I (we?) find good in Metal: HEAVINESS, long phrasal structures, delightfully shocking and intellectually stimulating riffs and techniques.  Hip-hop will not approach the cosmic, transpersonal, or post-human. 

Most gangsta rap is a better/more poetic expression of anger and inner-city rage than ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME?. 

Caffeine

August 15, 2010, 02:43:56 PM
Musically, hip-hop will doubtfully ever deliver what I (we?) find good in Metal: HEAVINESS, long phrasal structures, delightfully shocking and intellectually stimulating riffs and techniques.  Hip-hop will not approach the cosmic, transpersonal, or post-human. 

Most gangsta rap is a better/more poetic expression of anger and inner-city rage than ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME?. 
+1  Agreed