Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Listening Guides

Listening Guides
August 15, 2010, 09:39:27 AM
Sources for musicians and (metal) composers who like to compare and be inspired.

International Music Score Library Project
---
Brahms Listening Guides
Whatever you honor above all things, that which you so honor will have dominion over you.

Whatever you honor above all things, that which you so honor will have dominion over you.

Re: Listening Guides
March 21, 2011, 11:45:29 PM
Nice. Very good work, sir.  Thank you.  I especially appreciate the Bach page... the anatomy of a fugue makes me laugh.  Music 'critics' often use the word 'fugue' to 'describe' music (they seem to think it means 'sad') and never realizing that it has a very precise musical meaning.  Any recommendations on Brahms?  I am completely unfamiliar with his works.
"Just like your ancestors
you will fight today."

-Rob Darken

March 22, 2011, 09:22:55 AM
Nice. Very good work, sir.  Thank you.  I especially appreciate the Bach page... the anatomy of a fugue makes me laugh.  Music 'critics' often use the word 'fugue' to 'describe' music (they seem to think it means 'sad') and never realizing that it has a very precise musical meaning.  Any recommendations on Brahms?  I am completely unfamiliar with his works.

Brahms has so much to offer, and I have not even listened to everything...but still, the following should be a good introduction:
Chamber: Piano Trio No. 1 op. 8
Solo piano: Variations on an Original Theme op. 21, 1
Orchestral: Symphony No. 2 op. 73
Brahms light: Hungarian Dances WoO 1 (for piano)

On the topic of listening guides, would that others posted some too, if they know any.

N

March 23, 2011, 10:43:01 PM
Pianist Andras Schiff lectures and plays through the Beethoven Sonatas:

http://music.guardian.co.uk/classical/page/0,,1943867,00.html