Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Listening Guides

Listening Guides
August 15, 2010, 09:39:27 AM
Sources for musicians and (metal) composers who like to compare and be inspired.

International Music Score Library Project
---
Brahms Listening Guides

Re: Listening Guides
March 21, 2011, 11:45:29 PM
Nice. Very good work, sir.  Thank you.  I especially appreciate the Bach page... the anatomy of a fugue makes me laugh.  Music 'critics' often use the word 'fugue' to 'describe' music (they seem to think it means 'sad') and never realizing that it has a very precise musical meaning.  Any recommendations on Brahms?  I am completely unfamiliar with his works.

March 22, 2011, 09:22:55 AM
Nice. Very good work, sir.  Thank you.  I especially appreciate the Bach page... the anatomy of a fugue makes me laugh.  Music 'critics' often use the word 'fugue' to 'describe' music (they seem to think it means 'sad') and never realizing that it has a very precise musical meaning.  Any recommendations on Brahms?  I am completely unfamiliar with his works.

Brahms has so much to offer, and I have not even listened to everything...but still, the following should be a good introduction:
Chamber: Piano Trio No. 1 op. 8
Solo piano: Variations on an Original Theme op. 21, 1
Orchestral: Symphony No. 2 op. 73
Brahms light: Hungarian Dances WoO 1 (for piano)

On the topic of listening guides, would that others posted some too, if they know any.

N

March 23, 2011, 10:43:01 PM
Pianist Andras Schiff lectures and plays through the Beethoven Sonatas:

http://music.guardian.co.uk/classical/page/0,,1943867,00.html