Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

We.Are.Satans.Preachers. and 'The Glam' thing in general...

Or whatever it respectively stands for, I'll be the first one to admit that I love W.A.S.P. in all of their celebratory and vainglorious nature. Clearly my favorite of the Glam/ Heavy Metal crossover bands. This band is seriously just over the top with everything aesthetically: motorcycles, women, mysticism, armor etc... I guess that's what the whole "Glam" thing was supposed to be about, though W.A.S.P. seemed to take an extremely 'morbid' twist on everything, not exactly like Mercyful Fate (I'm not saying that was glam... just to be clear...) but I can see some similarities with more flamboyance and charisma. There's times where it can be popish, but that's embedded in the nature of Glam. Definitely a better choice for Hessians passing by this genre than something like Motley Crue. Not to mention, Blackie Lawless' aesthetic performance is something I'm sure a lot of musicians sought to emulate afterwards.

here's some tracks from "The Headless Children" 1989 album that might strike some interest:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6F791TdCBY&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26ttSnkgUf4&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuux29efGvk&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOmWOsfM6As&feature=related

Edit: here's some more goodies... first is the video of Wild Child:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsoLb-E7oy8&feature=related

Now the Nokturnal Mortum Cover of Wild Child from Goat Horns album bonus track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3lxuFn0R78

"I hung there on a cross as you are hanging, and I lived, thanks to circumstances and a stamina peculiar to barbarians. But you civilised men are soft; your lives are not nailed to your spines as are ours. Your fortitude consists mainly in inflicting torment, not in enduring it. You will be dead before sundown." - REH

Also, Hellion is pretty interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHlnHlgvm8M

This came as a suggestion from a friend. Evil/ cheesy goodness with a very talented female vocalist who wasn't just gifted and attractive, but proactive as well...

In 1985 Ann Boleyn formed New Renaissance Records, which put out the first commercial recordings and helped develop the careers of then unknown bands such as Sepultura, Bathory, Flotsam & Jetsam, At War, Morbid Angel and Wehrmacht. Other label acts included Deadly Blessing, Amulance, Blood Feast, Necrophagia, Dream Death, Illwill, Indestroy, Sarcastic, Artillery, Mayhem, and more.

Boleyn left the music business in the late 1990s to obtain a degree from UCLA, where she specialized in the study of the Old Norse language. She obtained her law degree in 2007.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ann_Boleyn_%28singer%29
"I hung there on a cross as you are hanging, and I lived, thanks to circumstances and a stamina peculiar to barbarians. But you civilised men are soft; your lives are not nailed to your spines as are ours. Your fortitude consists mainly in inflicting torment, not in enduring it. You will be dead before sundown." - REH

Ha, well, I mostly came here for the ongoing thread that I started, but when I saw this I just had to respond.  I'm a big W.A.S.P. fan.  Their first three albums were glam metal, but everything afterward was heavy metal except for Kill.Fuck.Die. which was an industrial metal experiment.

I would agree that they have a lot of artistic merit, and even in their glam days they covered politics and war briefly.  Since then, they've done entire albums devoted to introspective and political subjects, which is very interesting coming from a band whose debut was a sex album.  Even then, the album was pretty twisted with lots of kinky sadomasochist themes, and it is probably even my favorite from the band.

What W.A.S.P. did with glam in the early days should have been more influential than it was, and it would have been nice to see more glam bands head in a vicious direction than candy-coated one.  I'm no one to talk in a way because I like the more saccharine glam bands for different reasons, but what W.A.S.P. did was unique and has yet to be replicated by anyone else, at least well.

I am lactose-intolerant when it comes to metal, so glam is about as ear friendly to me as nails on a chalkboard.
No.

Having reviewed the thread, baby Jesus is most definitely weeping at this point.

first track was okay. nearly Iron Maiden-ish except for dumbed down. I really can't be bothered to listen to any more of this crap.
They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

DEADFORWEEKS

So fucking pathetic it's not even funny

first track was okay. nearly Iron Maiden-ish except for dumbed down. I really can't be bothered to listen to any more of this crap.

Took me a lot of listens to fully digest a lot of W.A.S.P. material and its complexities.  Iron Maiden aren't such a deep band, not as good as W.A.S.P. if you ask me; I preferred their music with Di'Anno compared to Dickinson.

What's really fucking pathetic is how a lot of you can't pull your heads out of your asses and appreciate classic early 80's Rock/Metal....that includes the first W.A.S.P., and the first two Crue albums.....and it wasn't glam....glam was a term that popped up later to classify Poison and all the other pussy-shit bands that came out in the latter half of the decade.

WASP is one of the only bands in this genre I can stand.

The Crimson Idol is still one of my favorite albums.

What's really fucking pathetic is how a lot of you can't pull your heads out of your asses and appreciate classic early 80's Rock/Metal....that includes the first W.A.S.P., and the first two Crue albums.....and it wasn't glam....glam was a term that popped up later to classify Poison and all the other pussy-shit bands that came out in the latter half of the decade.

Your overall message is right, but you don't understand what glam is.  Early W.A.S.P. and Motley Crue were glam.  Their influences consisted mostly of glam bands, and of course metal and hard rock bands.  The idea that "glam" began as a term for Poison is ridiculous, especially considering glam music has been around since around the late 60's.  Are you unaware of groups like David Bowie, Gary Glitter, The Sweet, Matt the Hoopple, Slade, T. Rex, Wizzard, Hanoi Rocks, New York Dolls, and then the later hard rock/glam era of bands like Alice Cooper, KISS, and Van Halen?

Also, it would be expected that more metalheads would be more dismissive of bands like Poison and Pretty Boy Floyd, since their metal influence is drowned in a much stronger glam rock influence.

The tracks linked by the op were decent as far as this sort of thing goes, but I have a deep aversion to this type of music.

This might sound strange, but whenever I listen to this sort of thing, I can only visualize what the groupies that followed these bands around in their heyday look like now. More specifically, I think of an obese and pasty old harlot passed out on a couch in her trailer with a bucket of fried chicken at her side. The riffs have always sounded contrived to me as well.
Let us go beyond "you" and "me"! Feel cosmically!

Friedrich Nietzsche

This might sound strange, but whenever I listen to this sort of thing, I can only visualize what the groupies that followed these bands around in their heyday look like now. More specifically, I think of an obese and pasty old harlot passed out on a couch in her trailer with a bucket of fried chicken at her side.

You need to separate music from sex appeal of members and groupies; art should be a bit deeper than that.  A lot of people get caught up in "Is he/she hot?" and forget what it is important.  It's your attitude that results in musicians like Justin Bieber.

Your overall message is right, but you don't understand what glam is.  Early W.A.S.P. and Motley Crue were glam. 

Yes, I do know about/understand the true Glam movement in the '70s...of course....but this thread was talking about the 80's bands...and yes unfortunately it was with Poison when the term was ressurrected (wrongly so I admit)....and NO Crue and WASP wasn't called glam until much later when they were lumped in with the bullshit pretty boy bands....and not by people that WERE THERE.

Your overall message is right, but you don't understand what glam is.  Early W.A.S.P. and Motley Crue were glam.  

Yes, I do know about/understand the true Glam movement in the '70s...of course....but this thread was talking about the 80's bands...and yes unfortunately it was with Poison when the term was ressurrected (wrongly so I admit)....and NO Crue and WASP wasn't called glam until much later when they were lumped in with the bullshit pretty boy bands....and not by people that WERE THERE.

W.A.S.P. called themselves a glitter band back in the early 80's, "glitter" being a synonym for glam that has fallen out of fashion, especially after the Gary Glitter pedophilia incident.  Regardless, it is not relevant what people "called" these bands.  They have clear roots traceable to glam, in a similar way that thrash metal bands have roots traceable to hardcore.  All of those early glam metal bands were big into music like New York Dolls, Blackie Lawless even being a member of that band before W.A.S.P..  Twisted Sister sounded nothing like metal in the earlier 70's, clearly playing glam rock before Dee Snider joined.

All Poison did was glam up the glam metal movement even more, which isn't bad if you like glam, but for people who don't I can see why you might hate them.

Bands like Metallica and Exodus were ranting against Motley Crue types from the start, too.  This wasn't a late-80's division in the metal community.

This might sound strange, but whenever I listen to this sort of thing, I can only visualize what the groupies that followed these bands around in their heyday look like now. More specifically, I think of an obese and pasty old harlot passed out on a couch in her trailer with a bucket of fried chicken at her side.

You need to separate music from sex appeal of members and groupies; art should be a bit deeper than that.  A lot of people get caught up in "Is he/she hot?" and forget what it is important.  It's your attitude that results in musicians like Justin Bieber.
That wasn't my point. I was saying that the vast majority of these musicians all seemed to be in it only for the money and pussy, which had a negative impact on the quality of their works. Their decadence is symbolized by the deteriorated state of the groupie.

Based on my investigation of this music, and what my dad has told me about those bands(he was 18 when Quiet Riot's third record was released), it would seem that the raison d'etre was indeed to fuck a ton of girls and make wads of cash, with the performance of music as a means of fulfilling those desires. Seeing how eagerly they accepted the offer of MTV once the scene had been noticed by the public merely reinforces my point.

I prefer Led Zeppelin and Lynryd Skynyrd to any of those groups simply because they were more creative and sincere about their art, despite their descent into drug abuse and excessive promiscuity.
Let us go beyond "you" and "me"! Feel cosmically!

Friedrich Nietzsche