Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Why do we all hate -core music?

Re: Why do we all hate -core music?
July 18, 2013, 01:25:07 AM
"explain to us what nu-core offers that we can't get anywhere else

I didn't want to emphasize this. Where are you getting this from? But since nu-core isn't a real genre, I feel that in its primordial stages metalcore represented a new direction for punk based music, which then quickly fell flat due to imitators and also-rans. Punk music also unfortunately has a high burn out rate.

"And what about things that in total are worse than anything their parts have to offer?"

Is it not possible to throw out all but the good parts? Your previous example, Marxism. I agree that Marxism is in general a load of baloney. But, what of "from each according to his ability, to each according to his needs"? That strikes me as something worth keeping around, as a sense of community and indeed a sort of justice arises when each has their own role, performs it, and takes only what they require. Even if the materialist view of history (bullshit), the whole 'workers rise up!' mentality (bullshit), and many other aspects of it are indeed flawed. One can incorporate the good ideas into other more healthy philosophies. Do you like your pie with just berries or would you favor a bit of cinnamon in there too (even if the cinnamon was a little stale)?

"The nuclear war example is apt because there's not something to learn/take from everything. Only some things."

We will not agree here. There IS something to be learned from everything, even if it means learning what NOT to do. Nuclear war let us know that our technology could very well mean the death of our planet - that is a hard reality that humanity learned, no? 

"but you're also trying to evade the reality which is that to "take the good parts" from something, we need to keep it around."

We should keep it around long enough to learn what is good from it, if anything, then disregard it. Utility. There are things in this world that are not 'good' but are necessary. Metalcore is not one of those things, but who is to say the genre cannot develop in a direction which would be more conducive to higher quality composition - if higher quality composers were involved? For fuck's sake we have Birth A.D. on the site, and thrash is pretty much dead (due to a ton of copycat/lazy bands). Why are they here and not others? Consider that.

I haven't seen you address what a 'design of intelligence' is, as if it is intiuition. Could you elaborate?

Lastly,
"I don't agree on the first album. It's a clear rip of two other albums"

I'd say you'd be better off listening to the other two albums. Let me guess - Altars of Madness and Reign In Blood? Can't think of any others.

Humanicide, nothing personal, but comparing the albums you mentioned, on any charitable application of inter-subjective musical standards (compositional depth, emotional depth, maturity) to Close To A World Below is worse than comparing The Black Album to Dark Side of the Moon (which KirK from Metallica has done, to his eternal stupidity)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dyprzmd3rVw
vs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpGiu5Vj158

You know, I DID say that: "I would favor Discordance Axis more than CTAWB, but I think that album is better than every other metalcore band I mentioned." Which included Rorschach. I think The Inalienable Dreamless is better than Close To A World Below from a personal taste standpoint. But beyond that the compositional qualities are on par with each other. DA expresses their ideas in short order which I think gives more immediate power to each track (though not so much immediacy that subtlety is forgotten) - whereas Immolation draws out their ideas to fit their mode of expression (in turn producing equally powerful and subtle moments). They both use an "organized" riff salad approach, which is - if you ask me - the reason why each album has such staying power.

July 18, 2013, 10:20:13 AM
Marxism. I agree that Marxism is in general a load of baloney. But, what of "from each according to his ability, to each according to his needs"? That strikes me as something worth keeping around, as a sense of community and indeed a sort of justice arises when each has their own role, performs it, and takes only what they require.

Not a great example, that is a trap. From each according to ability, to each according to contribution/ability/role whatever. To each according to need = the weak subverting the strong. Yes it all sounds great, but it puts a nice seeming idea before human nature itself. Marxism doesn't believe in community, nor does it believe in self-sacrifice. If justice, it is the "justice" of the masses: I don't care if you work twice as hard as me and get the same gruel, I can't work as hard as you! It's unfair!

July 21, 2013, 08:39:00 PM
Marxism. I agree that Marxism is in general a load of baloney. But, what of "from each according to his ability, to each according to his needs"? That strikes me as something worth keeping around, as a sense of community and indeed a sort of justice arises when each has their own role, performs it, and takes only what they require.

Not a great example, that is a trap. From each according to ability, to each according to contribution/ability/role whatever. To each according to need = the weak subverting the strong. Yes it all sounds great, but it puts a nice seeming idea before human nature itself. Marxism doesn't believe in community, nor does it believe in self-sacrifice. If justice, it is the "justice" of the masses: I don't care if you work twice as hard as me and get the same gruel, I can't work as hard as you! It's unfair!

"To each according to need = the weak subverting the strong"

Could you elaborate on this? Sorry if I sound a bit thick but I'm looking at it as "modern people have too much unnecessary material garbage, get rid of it, use what you need and don't be greedy".

The first part sounds OK by me - if you contribute, you get to be a part of things. If you won't, you don't get to.

July 22, 2013, 07:18:07 AM
But, what of "from each according to his ability, to each according to his needs"? That strikes me as something worth keeping around, as a sense of community and indeed a sort of justice arises when each has their own role, performs it, and takes only what they require.

That requires a central determination. That determination will either favor the stronger, or the weaker; there's no middle ground. Then you have yourself micro-managed in a way the kings would never tolerate.

Further, as others have pointed out, this becomes a social concern. Thus it always favors the weaker, instead of letting the stronger build up wealth they don't need right now, and do things with it that are more productive (in the future).

I trust nature's way. That is, there's a tribe, and there's a cultural mandate to help members of the tribe who are acting in good faith toward the values of the community. But no one is forced through management.

That way, by the way, means less time at work and more pay :)

August 11, 2013, 05:51:01 PM
Yes, deathcore is a shit, is new metal with death metal vocals. But there good -core genres, like... yeah, there´s  no good metalcore genre

August 11, 2013, 05:52:02 PM
Deathcore musicians play guitar hero

August 15, 2013, 11:34:14 PM
I hate core music because it's suburban music for people who's deepest thoughts of contemplation are obsessed with discerning systems to justify their massive ego and emotional masturbation.

Fuck this genre.