Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

DRI Guitarist has cancer

DRI Guitarist has cancer
May 13, 2006, 08:07:50 PM
Bad news. If you can, float a couple of dollars his way. DRI is a good band and Spike is a nice guy. He deserves better.

05.01.06 - SPIKE HAS CANCER

Spike Cassidy, Founder, Long Time Guitarist of D.R.I. was diagnosed with Cancer, and underwent surgery recently to remove it. He will be starting months of radiation and chemo-therapy soon.

All tours and shows have been canceled. Merchandise orders will all be shipped later then the normal 2-4 weeks. If your waiting on an order thatís already late, be patient, itís on the way. All orders will be shipped as soon as possible.

Updates on Spikes health, and the bands future will be posted here monthly. Spike, his family, and D.R.I. appreciate the concern every one has shown, and wish they could thank each and everyone of you personally.

You can help out Spike and his family with your donations to:
http://www.dirtyrottenimbeciles.com/spike/donate/donate.htm

Re: DRI Guitarist has cancer
May 15, 2006, 06:58:29 PM
Hope this doesn't turn into another Chuck "Christ" Schuldiner weeping phenomenon.

May 16, 2006, 11:18:36 PM
What is more alarming than a christianisation of Metallers' deaths is the fucking freaking rate of cancer these days. It is incredible, and no one draws the link with industrialisation and urbanisation.

To my knowledge cancer almost didn't exist before 1850 and the Industrial Revolution, or maybe it didn't exist at all.

It did exist before, but at a much lower rate. Cancer is mutation through either viral, chemical or genetic vectors in such a way that produces voracious zombie cells that we call "tumor cells." With the industrial revolution, it shot into overdrive, where now a conservative estimate for cancer rate is 50% (including among non-smokers).

I would not like to Chuckify Spike. However, I don't see any of the weepy whining, hollow praise, etc that happened with Suck Chuldiner. Here it's simple: Spike from DRI has cancer and they're asking for some cash, not a false deification and maudlin obsession.

May 17, 2006, 01:46:38 AM
I am pretty sure it has been around forever.  You never hear about notable ancient peoples getting it, so that is anecdotal evidence for it being more common today.  What we're forgetting to factor in is that life expectancy is higher today.  The reason they probably didn't get cancer back then is because other diseases, even things like starvation, got them first.

Are you talking in caveman days? Because in Europe, at least, starvation was not common barring extreme events like war or famine. Elsewhere it may have been.

Also, the modern view that the ancients did not live long is proven to be lie by the number of biographies we have detailed the long lives -- 80s and 90s -- of many of the ancients. The only people who starved and died young were brickhead proles who couldn't hoard food for winter, and we call that "natural selection"!

God killed Chuck for Control Denied. I think God is a Deity of taste.

May 17, 2006, 08:32:06 AM
Man I hope this doesn't turn into a big religious discussion. Those never turn out good.

May 17, 2006, 11:11:52 AM
On the subject of life expectancy in the past, it is a common misconception that everybody died at the age of about 30. I read a book some time ago which dealt with life expectancy among villagers in early modern Britain (16th, 17th and 18th centuries), and, as far as I can remember, the average age of death was about 30, but this of course was dragged down by high rates of infant mortality. THose who survived into adulthood generally lived to about 40 or 50, and some, I think possibly about 5-10% of the population, made it into old age - it was not unknown for people to reach ages of 100. Essentially, life expectancy was far more random back then, in that those who escaped disease lived as long as moderns do, essentially until their bodies wore out. Nowadays, thanks to medical science, everybody is able to live that long.

Also, I think that it's important to remember that, before the advent of modern medicine, it was probably difficult to identify exactly what disease somebody was suffering from, therefore, most people who died of cancer before the industrial revolution may have died of other diseases.

May 17, 2006, 01:59:18 PM
God killed Chuck for Control Denied. I think God is a Deity of taste.

lol. So Dimmu Borgir should be kicking the bucket any day now...

May 18, 2006, 08:35:43 PM
speaking of cancer, the food we buy isn't worth a shit anymore either. every single thing in the market is treated with some chemical, or fucked with biologically. especially the meat, all the fucking shots they give animals, and the feed they give them, while they sit in small areas and marinate in their own shit.
definately not like the food of yesteryear.

May 19, 2006, 06:10:58 AM
Spike came to Australia to record the DAMAGED album for ROTTEN RECORDS in 1998.
A lovely guy,and i wish him and his family strength.
Good Luck mate!!

May 20, 2006, 01:59:50 AM
A demographic study I conducted some time ago concluded that the average life expectancy was primarily lower in earlier ages due to high rates of infant mortality. This was natural selection at its best, before individuals with weaker immune systems could reproduce. DEATH TO MODERN MEDICINE: PROLIFERATOR OF UNTERMENSCHEN!

May 20, 2006, 07:41:41 PM
Hope this doesn't turn into another Chuck "Christ" Schuldiner weeping phenomenon.

Certainly not my intention. I'm disappointed to hear of his situation, and he seems to need money (like most people who play music for artistic reasons and not commercial ones) so I thought it was worth mentioning. But he's just a guy whose band I like, not a symbol of christian metal pussification for necrophobes to cry over.