Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Bands that you want to see reviewed by DLA

Re: Bands that you want to see reviewed by DLA
August 24, 2010, 06:20:27 PM
Do you need DLA to tell you what to think of Metallica (for example)?

Yes.

August 27, 2010, 08:31:16 PM
Sleep (Heavy Metal Section): Black Sabbath worshipers bringing some massive updates to the drawing board who traveled even further down the rabbit hole once showed to them by Osborne, Iommi, Butler and Ward. Transforming into the progenitor a genre no longer guilt-ridden by the throes of a sober-social commonwealth, Sleep summons mystical dragons, treads monolithic mushrooms plateaus, unlocks the doors to underwater villages of glass, traverses the realms alongside biblical spectral riders... and for what (?) ... because like Burzum saw, the mind has the power to conjure landscapes of majesty that can never be mirrored in reality.

August 27, 2010, 10:17:12 PM
Sleep (Heavy Metal Section): Black Sabbath worshipers bringing some massive updates to the drawing board who traveled even further down the rabbit hole once showed to them by Osborne, Iommi, Butler and Ward. Transforming into the progenitor a genre no longer guilt-ridden by the throes of a sober-social commonwealth, Sleep summons mystical dragons, treads monolithic mushrooms plateaus, unlocks the doors to underwater villages of glass, traverses the realms alongside biblical spectral riders... and for what (?) ... because like Burzum saw, the mind has the power to conjure landscapes of majesty that can never be mirrored in reality.

Made me want to listen to it

August 27, 2010, 11:01:46 PM
Burzum saw, the mind has the power to conjure landscapes of majesty that can never be mirrored in reality.

Wow, you missed the point entirely.

August 28, 2010, 10:22:29 PM
Unjustifiably absent from the DLA:
The Chasm
Manilla Road
Slaughter [Canada]

Might be worth including, but it's not as definite as with the names above:
Assück
Dead Infection
Discordance Axis
Miasma [Austria]
Sadistik Exekution (just the first two albums; their hybridization of Blasphemy-fury and Impaled Nazarene-excessiveness seemed genuinely unapologetic before it became gimmicky)
Spear of Longinus (their interview is one of the best pages on the whole website)

Despite an understandable overall absence, these deserve an overview of their one or two high points each:
Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Metallica (yes, I know it exists, which raises the question of why it's being hidden - it should either be there or not)
Mystifier
Order from Chaos

Present, but need more coverage:
Black Funeral [USA] - Az-I-Dahak is hardly their only album worth hearing. Empire of Blood, Belial Arisen, and Vukolak all deserve the ANUS treatment.
Candlemass - all of the first four albums have enough substance to withstand an ANUS entry.
Dead Can Dance - everything up to and including Within the Realm of A Dying Sun is A+, with the next couple of albums still being good.
Graveland - Darken is one of the few artists that merit a complete discography overview. Out of his newer material, Fire Chariot of Destruction certainly deserves one of the "full-length" reviews - the others not so much.
Motörhead - although the self-titled album is, I agree, one of their most interesting, Bomber is just as good if not better. The rest of the stuff before Orgasmotron is OK-to-good, Overkill probably being the next in line.
Skepticism - Aes is magnificient, their only release that can match (maybe even outdo) Alloy.

August 31, 2010, 04:06:37 AM
I wholeheartedly agree with istaros regarding the unjustifiably absent. However, also worth noting perhaps is the lack of certain other releases. Perhaps some will be questionable, but all of them are quality acts at their best and valuable.

Bathory - Hammerheart
Autopsy - Severed Survival
dISEMBOWELMENT - Transcendence into the Peripheral
Edge of Sanity - Unorthodox
Helstar - Nosferatu
King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King
Fates Warning - The Spectre Within
Judas Priest - 70's albums
Martyr - all the studio albums
Satan - Court in the Act
Watchtower - both albums

August 31, 2010, 04:35:46 AM
I wholeheartedly agree with istaros regarding the unjustifiably absent. However, also worth noting perhaps is the lack of certain other releases. Perhaps some will be questionable, but all of them are quality acts at their best and valuable.

Bathory - Hammerheart
Judas Priest - 70's albums
On top of these:

The rest of the 80's Voivod records
More Kraftwerk
Tangerine Dream's 70's catalog
Klaus Schulze - Timewind and Moondawn
Dead Can Dance - Within the Realm of a Dying Sun (I know of the debut, and the Serpent's Egg reviews, is there a Sleen and Ideal review?)
Fripp and Eno - Evening Star, No Pussyfooting
More reviews of Brahms, Beethoven, Schubert, Wagner, Bruckner, Bach, and other prolific composers
The first four Sabbath records
A few Motorhead reviews
Jethro Tull - Thich as a Brick, Living in the Past, Stand Up
King Crimson - In the Wake of Poseidon
Isengard
Mutiilation - Vampires of Black, Imperial Blood
First two Mercyful Fate
Necromantia - Crossing the Fiery Path

August 31, 2010, 06:51:28 AM
More Havohej,
Early Testament,
Abruptum,
Witchfinder General,
More Graveland.

August 31, 2010, 10:23:42 PM
I knew there were some I had missed. Being forced to go by memory is going to make these suggestions incomplete by nature. Also unjustifiably absent are:

More Kraftwerk
Tangerine Dream's 70's catalog
Fripp and Eno - Evening Star, No Pussyfooting
More reviews of Brahms, Beethoven, Schubert, Wagner, Bruckner, Bach, and other prolific composers
First two Mercyful Fate
As well as Deceased's Luck of the Corpse, Boards of Canada, Biosphere, Eno(well beyond the two mentioned albums), and more Autechre.

---

And more in the "should be there, but not as definitely" camp:
Bathory - Hammerheart

The rest of the 80's Voivod records
The first four Sabbath records
Mutiilation - Vampires of Black, Imperial Blood
Necromantia - Crossing the Fiery Path

---

Helstar - Nosferatu
This exists, although you have to go to the "Heavy Metal" tab to find it(Helstar doesn't show up on the Alpha tab).

Which brings up something else: shouldn't *all* available reviews be integrated into the Alpha tab? In fact, why not integrate the DLA reviews and the Neoclassical reviews section into one section? There's a ton of stuff in the latter worth hearing - much of it even surpasses the majority of what's on the DLA.

Why are they split up? It's not as if the DLA is purely metal/grindcore/hardcore/etc., seeing as it already has reviews for Kraftwerk, King Crimson, Dead Can Dance, Lord Wind, My Bloody Valentine, and even The Doors - although the first three are, like Metallica, hidden, although in their case by only being accessible via a hidden "Metal Influences" tab... Nor is it as if the Neoclassical section is devoted purely to non-metal, with its reviews of too many metal bands to list. I understand there are duplicate reviews for A FEW of the releases in question, but surely there's a more intuitive way of allowing these to co-exist.

September 04, 2010, 12:01:44 AM
I want to see Luciferion's newer album The Apostate from 2003 reviewed.  They have an older Demonification review, so I'm curious what they'd say about the first 5 songs on the album.

September 04, 2010, 12:08:59 AM
Another one has come to mind whose absence seems inexplicable:
Father Befouled

From what I've seen, they very much have the ANUS stamp of approval. Why not make it official with some DLA reviews? They've only gotten better over time, so I'm very curious as to what the new album is like.

September 05, 2010, 08:35:03 PM
GG Allin - E.M.F.

September 09, 2010, 07:57:42 AM
The DLA has a duty in my mind to frame bands like Black Sabbath and Judas Priest within the framework of metal as it exists today. Sticking our fingers in our ears and running out of the room screaming "black metal isn't rock n roll" is all well and good, but I think we should stop pretending these bands don't exist, aren't rock, and aren't also down right amazing anyway. Burzum won't become negroid guitar monkey music if we list these bands. I promise.

September 09, 2010, 04:16:55 PM
Seconding the first two Mercyful Fate albums here.  It seems to fit in perfectly with a lot of the Speed Metal/Proto-Black Metal already reviewed.  It influenced a lot of Scandinavian Metal after it came onto the scene, both musically, lyrically, and stylistically. In addition, songs like "The Oath" have a neoclassical phrasing that is often praised in the reviews of Morbid Angel and alike.