Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Blackened Death Metal

Blackened Death Metal
August 19, 2010, 11:09:08 PM
What are some good Blackened Death Metal bands? Im looking for more up and coming bands, local bands stuff like that!

know any?

Caffeine

Re: Blackened Death Metal
August 20, 2010, 12:17:22 AM
Necrophobic's "Bloodhymns" is a good album.  As far as checking out local bands and stuff, I can't help you with that.

August 20, 2010, 12:40:36 AM
What are some good Blackened Death Metal bands? Im looking for more up and coming bands, local bands stuff like that!

know any?

Most people of merit will say that Dissection takes the cake. Heavy Metal that is Black Metal but also Death Metal. "The Somberlain" and "Storm of the Light's Bane"

The ANUS site however believes that Sacramentum is a better alternative. The music is way more aggressive and played at a faster level. Riff construction is arguably better. "Far Away from the Sun" is a good choice.

If you ask me though, I'll agree with the Necrophobic comment, though I'll recommend "The Nocturnal Silence" as the paramount of their career, but all of their albums that I own are pretty damn good too.

Grotesque from Sweden (Pre-At The Gates), did exactly what Necrophobic did but they did it first. A good choice is "In The Embrace of Evil"

Early Marduk played in a way that combined American Death Metal and Doom with Black Metal vocals. Maybe that counts. Later, they became Dissection on crystal meth.

I recently bought The Abyss' "The Other Side/Summon The Beast" split digipack and it was great.

If you're more in for "easy listening stuff" go for Dark Tranquility's "The Gallery."

Sentenced "North From Here" is also  highly recommended.

Caffeine

August 20, 2010, 12:53:49 AM

know any?

Most people of merit will say that Dissection takes the cake. Heavy Metal that is Black Metal but also Death Metal. "The Somberlain" and "Storm of the Light's Bane"

The ANUS site however believes that Sacramentum is a better alternative. The music is way more aggressive and played at a faster level. Riff construction is arguably better. "Far Away from the Sun" is a good choice.

If you ask me though, I'll agree with the Necrophobic comment, though I'll recommend the nocturnal silence as the paramount of their career, but all of their albums that I own are pretty damn good too.

Grotesque from Sweden (Pre-At The Gates), did exactly what Necrophobic did but they did it first. A good choice "In The Embrace of Evil"

Early Marduk played in a way that combined American Death Metal and Doom with Black Metal vocals. Maybe that counts. Later, they became Dissection on crystal meth.

I recently bought The Abyss' "The Other Side/Summon The Beast" split digipack and it was great.

If you're more in for "easy listening stuff" go for Dark Tranquility's "The Gallery."

Similarly played, but a better version of that is Sentenced "North From Here" - that album is highly recommended.

I knew all of that except for Sacramentum, crap....Thanks though, I'll look them up.

August 20, 2010, 01:48:55 AM
Taking a different, less gay, direction-

Try Incantation, Father Befouled, Sepultura's "Morbid Visions", Sarcofago's "IRNI",  or newer Profanatica.  Black metal influenced death metal (or death metal influenced black metal in the case of the latter two), but without being saccharine faggotry.

August 20, 2010, 01:53:28 AM
Legion is simultaneously Black and Death Metal.  This is superior to "Blackened Death Metal", which, more often than not, constitutes a watering down of both genres.

Deicide were always a "Black Metal" band, anyway, looking at old interviews.

August 20, 2010, 02:19:38 AM
Dissection? Dark Tranquility? Those are more like "sweetened death" or "power metal with growls."

The best were already mentioned: the early works of Incantation, Deicide, and Sarcofago.

August 20, 2010, 02:55:21 AM
Averse Sefira "Advent Parallax"

August 20, 2010, 01:13:17 PM
The best were already mentioned: the early works of Incantation, Deicide, and Sarcofago.

Dude, Incantation have always been a pure death metal band....I agree with Diecide tho'

If you like the Nordic vibe, Naglfar are the goods IMO.....

I suppose the question is does fall_of_eden like his death metal black, or his black metal deathly......LOL

August 20, 2010, 05:24:41 PM
Legion is simultaneously Black and Death Metal.  This is superior to "Blackened Death Metal", which, more often than not, constitutes a watering down of both genres.

Deicide were always a "Black Metal" band, anyway, looking at old interviews.

They've always struck me as having a heavy black metal aura around their music, not to mention Glen Benton stated in that Death Metal news-spot interview that his music has more to do with Blackness, Satanism, Darkness etc... than Death.

The only thing I'd say is that "Deicide" S/T strikes me a bit more along these lines, opposed to Legion which I see as a wholly Death Metal album. Then again, Legion being a sophomore effort is further along the lines of DM formulation, slowly moving away from what I've mentioned underneath.

----

On a side note, many of the posts here have NOT listed "Blackened Death Metal" bands, on the contrary the bands that have been listed fall under the proto-Black/Death Metal genre, as well as some of the direct descendants from that genre that still contain a lot of ambiguity behind their sound: labeled so because:

PROTO DEATH/PROTO BLACK METAL
It wasn't until the late 80s/early 90s that the terms 'death metal' and 'black metal' were widely used terms although they've existed since the early 80s. The following list are releases that influenced both black metal and death metal bands that came later, while they themselves were not universally categorized at the time, but later on.

http://www.hessian.org/metal/music/

When I hear the term "Blackened Death Metal" I think of a band that combines already established elements of previously existing styles together into an amalgamation or musical alloy.

August 21, 2010, 01:11:34 AM

The line between black and death was nebulous in the formulative years. Burzum made it definative.

August 22, 2010, 02:35:21 PM
Early Belphegor is probably the purest example of blackdeath that I can think of.   Aeturnus also walked the line between the two quite well.  Other bands that deserve consideration are Aurora Borealis and Forest of Impaled (if only just for Demonvoid).  As for more modern bands, I have no clue or interest.

August 22, 2010, 07:41:13 PM
When I hear the term "Blackened Death Metal" I think of a band that combines already established elements of previously existing styles together into an amalgamation or musical alloy.
-This is exactly what I had in my mind, too.
The parlance I (principally)prefer is that "death/black metal" refers to primitive/atavistic style of extreme metal that doesn't fully exhibit the characteristics of either of the genres(Sarcofago, Blasphemy, Archgoat, early Mayhem, etc..), whereas "blackened death metal" refers to a combination of fully refined death metal and black metal(the best examples would probably be Darkside by Necrophobic and the later works of Sacramentum).
-This recent thread deals with the new breed of "atavist" bands.

My blackened DM recommendation would be Exterminate by Angelcorpse - the style of this band is somewhere between Morbid Angel and Marduk. In my opinion, the aforementioned album is their only truly good release.

August 22, 2010, 10:34:35 PM
My blackened DM recommendation would be Exterminate by Angelcorpse - the style of this band is somewhere between Morbid Angel and Marduk. In my opinion, the aforementioned album is their only truly good release.

What a great recommendation! That album in particular is the highlight of the career. From the beginning of "Christhammer" all the way to the last track, that album is FLAWLESS, exceptionally played Blacked Death Metal. I remember the first time I had the pleasure of hearing that record, I instantly thought that THIS is the best group of Morbid Angel disciples that the world currently has to offer.

August 27, 2010, 02:30:50 AM

Dude, Incantation have always been a pure death metal band....I agree with Diecide tho'

Have you heard Diabolical Conquest? Are you referring to the same Incantation?