Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Foobar users, your help is requested

Foobar users, your help is requested
August 25, 2010, 11:27:33 PM
I know absolutely nothing about this app other than that when I view its resource requirements up against winamp, it uses about 1/5 of the memory to run.  Winamp has proven to be a bloated piece of shit, and I'm no longer interested in tolerating its numerous security holes and embedded adware.  Over the past few years, I can recall a number of you mentioning that you'd switched to foobar, so any help you can offer will be appreciated. At this point, all I did was download and run the installer.  The program is fairly minimal, and while I don't want to get this thing bloated to the point of winampdom, I'd like to know if any of you have recommendations regarding tweaks to both the appearance and functionality of the app.  I realize I'm starting from square one here, and I was probably the last remaining winamp user on ANUS.

Re: Foobar users, your help is requested
August 25, 2010, 11:46:13 PM
I like foobar. It's clean and it works. I use album list, quick search, converter for making flacs to mp3s and really not much else. I've never bothered to make it look better.

August 26, 2010, 04:51:33 PM
File > Preferences > Default User Interface > Quick Setup

August 27, 2010, 12:38:46 PM
I use Audacious when I'm on Linux. I hear many people use older versions of Winamp, maybe you could do that? I never noticed that WinAmp is bloated (I run the latest version), I didn't install the video stuff etc.

August 29, 2010, 07:07:27 PM
I still use winamp from time to time, but I've set up Foobar2000 to work functionally and conveniently with my library and my portable players.

I honestly didn't know for the longest time that you could set up the directory name in the file conversion dialog - this one trick saved me lots of time in moving and renaming files:
/%artist%/%album%/%track% - %title%

If you use crApple iPoop, you can get the iPod extension for foobar2000 and it works much better than iTunes. Set it up to convert high-bitrate files into Apple's native m4a format for the iPod instead of the comparatively-bloated mp3.

I'd download all of the necessary encoders for the various formats so that you can convert between filetypes.

Make sure you check "Enabled" for the Library Viewer Selection Playlist under the Media Library settings in Preferences.

Not much else is necessary, but customization can go a long way toward enhancing usability for yourself.

There's also an audioscrobbler extension if you happen to use last.fm