Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

BEHEMOTH frontman diagnosed with leukemia

BEHEMOTH frontman diagnosed with leukemia
September 04, 2010, 10:05:39 PM
Adam "Nergal" Darski, the 33-year-old guitarist/vocalist from Poland's greatest extreme-metal export, BEHEMOTH, has been diagnosed with a life-threatening form of leukemia, a cancer of blood-forming tissues of the bone marrow. The disease, for which Adam is currently receiving treatment at the hematology division of the Gdansk Medical University Hospital, has advanced to the point where he is in urgent need of a bone-marrow transplant. (A bone-marrow transplant is when special cells [called stem cells] that are normally found in the bone marrow are taken out, filtered, and given back either to the same person or to another person.) In light of this, Darski wants to remind everyone about the need to be on the marrow registry. The more people get tested and donate, the more of a chance for life there is for him and others in the same situation.

Blabbermouth

Nergal also used the statement as an opportunity to lash out at those in the Polish media and elsewhere who've suggested that the disease will cause him to renounce his anti-Christian stance, or possibly even convert to Christianity.
    "Opinions suggesting I might come closer to God or abandon my ideals and grovel to the only correct world view in this country not only surprised but also frightened me," he writes. "This is a typical example of supporting one's own views by preying on someone's misfortune. 'He fell ill so he will convert to Christianity, he will discover the religion he fought against is actually close to him.' Halt! Why should the illness change my point of view? It is true this is a difficult time for me and the thoughts of ultimate matters are hard to chase away. But the idea that I will change my opinions, priorities, and values as a consequence of my illness sounds as if someone regards my head, and not my body, ill. Suggesting I might convert are ridiculous. To what would I convert? After all, I know Christian mythology pretty well, not only in its literary version, and I find nothing good, creative or beautiful in it. I read books better and wiser than the Bible. War, blood, blackmail, rapes, incest, pedophilia, zoophilia, collaboration and treachery — each page emanates with evil. Some may say I don't understand the message of the Bible. I'd rather say the Christianity is nothing more than a rusty and archaic structure that is going to fall down any moment. It lasts only because of the gullible that follow the shepherd blindly; without any questions, without any consideration, not to any promised land, but to an intellectual slaughter. So, I say to those, who see some chances to break my rules, and myself because of the illness: over my dead body!"

ShockHound

Re: BEHEMOTH frontman diagnosed with leukemia
September 05, 2010, 05:00:02 AM
The AIDS brigade moves on.

September 05, 2010, 08:10:58 AM
) In light of this, Darski wants to remind everyone about the need to be on the marrow registry.

Oh wow, really? Maybe that just came out wrong, but that sounds a lot like "this good cause should now be relevant to everyone because it affects me personally".

September 05, 2010, 04:14:02 PM
The AIDS brigade moves on.

I wondered how long it would take for someone to contribute that tired and stale bit.

September 05, 2010, 04:15:29 PM
I love it when mainstream metal cash cows pontificate about morality. It's so transparent, it has a kind of osmotic grandiosity to it.

Caffeine

September 12, 2010, 02:50:39 AM
well that does suck for him, most unfortunate..

September 18, 2010, 03:36:24 AM
Even though I don't like his music, I admire his strength...

September 18, 2010, 04:19:47 AM
I don't.  I think he's a dick.