Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Varathron - His Majesty at the Swamp

Re: Varathron - His Majesty at the Swamp
September 19, 2010, 12:39:52 AM
Varathron, Rotting Christ, and other Greek bands seem to fit what is typically called Dark Metal but that "genre" is just a placeholder for bands that lack identity as either black or death metal. Fortunately, the Greek bands have their own distinct identity.

History of Greek Black Metal

They are Hellenic Black Metal.

September 20, 2010, 12:01:24 AM
I've always enjoyed the Hellenic Black Metal bands over all other "scenes." They, along with Samael and Bethlehem provided a unique alternative to what was being cultivated in Norway and other parts of Europe at the time. "Dark Metal" is an interesting term... and it's being revived with Sigrblot from Sweden who currently considers themselves a folkish, "Dark Metal" band... but they clearly play Black Metal.

September 23, 2010, 05:30:25 PM
Zemial's founder Vorskaath, co-wrote half of the His Majesty at the Swamp album as he was the guitarist who went by the stage name, "Necroslaughter". The information is there out there on an online interview to confirm this or you could ask him yourself.

And judging from his personal MySpace profile, I'm not surprised there were elements of outrageousness as I like to call it, incorporated into that album.

The Greeks fucking kill, period. Their brand of black/death metal is my FAVORITE style of metal.

November 08, 2010, 07:16:25 PM
I agree with the OP that this album is basically just NWOBHM played at doom tempos.

That said, it kills.

Basically, a much better version of what Katatonia was trying to do on their EP and first LP.

November 08, 2010, 11:19:38 PM
This is one of my most consistent "go to" albums. Moves me every time.

November 11, 2010, 05:38:08 AM
Zemial's founder Vorskaath, co-wrote half of the His Majesty at the Swamp album as he was the guitarist who went by the stage name, "Necroslaughter". The information is there out there on an online interview to confirm this or you could ask him yourself.

I had no idea, that's interesting... Zemial and Agatus is very good stuff.