Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Self-consciousness echo chamber discovered

Self-consciousness echo chamber discovered
September 17, 2010, 12:40:03 PM
Introspection is basically thinking about your thinking, a way to judge your own thoughts and actions — and inherently difficult to study. The British research team devised a way to measure introspective ability by comparing people's confidence in a decision they made with the accuracy of that decision.

Brain scans  showed the people's introspective ability was strongly linked to the amount of gray matter in a spot of the prefrontal cortex, right behind the eyes, the researchers reported.

In addition, the study found people who were more introspective also had stronger functioning white matter in that part of the brain — the nerve fibers that act as a telephone system to allow cells to communicate with others.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100916/ap_on_he_me/us_med_brain_reflection

What am I thinking about now, except wondering what I'm thinking about now?

Re: Self-consciousness echo chamber discovered
September 18, 2010, 01:02:43 AM
Introspection is the evaluation and refinement of the quality of one's own thoughts.
”The Revolution ends by devouring its own children” – Jacques Mallet du Pan, 1793

Re: Self-consciousness echo chamber discovered
September 24, 2010, 10:16:46 PM
Massive amounts of television, video games, internet, other forms of media probably fuck with your grey matter, not surprising that those I know who are avid media whores have zero capacity for self introspection and accurate assessments of self. "Socializer/Socialized types" as I have seen them called on this forum, quite likely are crippled in this area of the brain? It's worth looking into.