Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Id

Id
September 17, 2010, 05:06:52 PM
I read an old post here where one moderator advised a guy to listen to classical music with his Id, wich is mathematical.

That made me think about the relation between music and philosophy. The advice he gave helped me a bit, from what I understood it is the musical equivalent of religions who tell us to disregard the material things in favor of spiritual ones. I never read plato, but from what I read about him here in ANUS it is similar to his pure world of toughts. There is like a brain who receives the sounds and another that converts the sounds into a philosophical, kind of mathematical experience.

Metal songs are sensual, but they are better interpreted mathematically?
You're quite hostile.

I got a right to be hostile, man, my people been persecuted!

Re: Id
September 18, 2010, 02:32:50 AM
From the Metalheads are wimps thread:

A solid core of ideologically aligned music mainly from a period of 1981-1996 that forms the backbone of a complex set of abstract lessons on life. These lessons are arrived at through deep understanding of the music itself. In a sense, they develop a kind of simulated id, ego and superego. Perhaps with ego as aesthetics/technicality, id as abstract analysis through language and musical understanding and superego as the final understanding of a work.

September 18, 2010, 10:53:01 AM
I didn't read that thread trought and didn't notice that. It is a great coincidence that I brought this same topic up at the same time.

I read it originally when prozak (I think) was advising a guy on how to enjoy classical music after he said he couldn't appreciate it.
You're quite hostile.

I got a right to be hostile, man, my people been persecuted!

September 18, 2010, 11:26:37 AM
Are we using Id and ego appropriately here? I just did some quick reading and it sounds as if Id is the part which contains the desires, whereas the Ego is the analytical part. Is this correct?

--

I like this way of dividing up the music listening experience. Most people listen to music primarily with the Id, making the music entertainment, or a background to accompany some activity. The Ego is the next level of focus, which looks at the structure of the music - the theoretical approach. The highest level of understanding is an appeal to the Super Ego and thus a shaping of our world views, which may or may not require a satisfying of the other two (I think this thread is relevant here).

In terms of music quality, {id < ego < super ego} = {sounds cool < is structured well < provides an enlightening experience}