Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

First GMO animal in U.S.

First GMO animal in U.S.
September 21, 2010, 04:56:26 PM
"An FDA advisory panel discusses whether the [salmon] would be safe to eat but declines to vote." - L.A. Times

http://www.latimes.com/health/la-na-salmon-fda-20100921,0,5887640.story

As a biochem major, I aggressively disagree with altering the genes of species this large and unleashing it into the wild.

So, they are going to decide by Tuesday and in the meantime, I highly reccommend taking action.

..And don't be surprised if the advisory panel members' jobs are at risk if they decide to vote against the issue. The FDA is highlly aggressive with their lobbying.

Re: First GMO animal in U.S.
September 21, 2010, 06:23:23 PM
Interesting. Having worked with aquaculture in the past, this would likely be a very effective means to produce a large amount of food within a short time. However, GM foods scare the shit out of me and I would not touch this fish with a stick. Hopefully this particular fish is sterile, not allowing it to transfer its genes to future generations, which would likely cause further genetic mutations within the populations. I hope it's never released out of captivity. This fish is likely far more susceptible to food limitations than its unmodified counterparts. I would like to know what would happen to this fish under eutrophication, metabolic disruption and food limitation, as most fish have predictable responses to such circumstances.

I honestly don't know how to react toward GM fish. There are many unknowns that go along with GM foods, especially in multicellular organisms. I would not venture to eat this GM fish until it undergoes some very rigorous lab testing on toxicity/carcinogenicity. Even then, it's scarey shit.

I wonder if Monsanto will try to buy this shit up, if they haven't already.