Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

grindcore and such

Re: grindcore and such
December 11, 2007, 03:09:59 AM
I think grincore, much like punk, can be seen as a catalyst that gave another album to more varied genres. Punk intluenced thrash and speed metal bands, grindcore influenced death and black metal bands, and gave them a new element. Beyond this very few bands are of worth:

Carcass
Napalm Death
Bolt Thrower
Brutal Truth
Repulsion

Brutal Truth is so fucking great. they certainly live up to the "Brutal" in their name.

Boombats

January 21, 2008, 04:30:42 PM

Brutal Truth is so fucking great. they certainly live up to the "Brutal" in their name.

Indeed, it is so.

To a great degree, grindcore is death metal sans the deep death vocals and dueling guitar solos.  Not that some grind bands don't have those elements, but the singing style tends to vary more and the guitar work is more straightforward/noisy.  Also there is an underlying punk/hardcore substrata that comes to the surface in many of the more "classic" grind bands.  Add to these definitions the lack of "spooky" themes that death metal thrives upon.  Grindcore subject mater is usually sociopolitical, violence-oriented, or just plain rude.

Anyway that is my take on the genre.  Oh by the way, hello my name is FUCK and this is my band HookerDragger.  You be the judge; are we grind, death, or just crap?

January 22, 2008, 10:53:37 AM
Nasum is also great.

January 22, 2008, 10:30:28 PM
To a great degree, grindcore is death metal sans the deep death vocals and dueling guitar solos.

Respectfully, I disagree here.

Metal has always been a genre of melodic, long riffs put together toward a sense of the epic.

Hardcore, thrash, and their spawn grindcore have been about the literal reality, a kind of meta-politics that says: look at reality as it really is, and you'll see it sucks, and the disease runs deeper than our social institutions can address.

As a result, hardcore-derived genres are short riffs tied together by rhythm, with melody as an accent or tuning (Discharge) more than a method of composition.

Speed metal, death metal and black metal fused these genres and took the raw power of hardcore and applied it to metal ideals, sans the parts of metal that hardcore found disgusting (self-pleasuring, drunken, long solos, frivolous songs about fucking).

Grindcore has room to grow but if it grows too much, it loses that hardcore component, which I think is at this point obsolete -- it's too limited to be anything but rehashes of a few archetypes.

Ask yourself why there have been no epic hardcore albums since 1985, and no epic grindcore albums since 1992 or so.

January 23, 2008, 08:10:53 PM
Nasum is also great.

see, all of that Swedegrind (Nasum, Gadget, Rotten Sound, Sewn Shut), isnt necessarily BAD, per se, but the production that each band uses not only makes them sound unbelievably like one another, but it also takes away the "dirty", or "raw" feeling which good grindcore should have. Nasum and their ilk are too clinical, sharp sounding, and overproduced for their own good.

the only grind band ive found out of Sweden that i listen to on a regular basis is Birdflesh. the rest are occasional listens, at best. that region was always better for death/black metal anyway.

the word of the day, gentlemen, is "BORING".

January 23, 2008, 08:14:53 PM
i feel i should also bring attention to good bands within the grindcore scene as well.

http://www.insectwarfare.com/

^ those guys are intense. they mix the best of Napalm Death and Brutal Truth, and come out with a whirlwind of barely controlled grinding madness. definitely a band to watch, if one looks to assign the "flag" of the genre to a single band.

January 23, 2008, 10:07:49 PM
(I liked Insect Warefare.  Thanks for posting tha link)

I guess i'll go ahead make a band suggestion if anyone is interested.  I found this band 4 years back when i bought a compilation disc called Regressive Hostility because it had a bunch of old tracks of Nasum's '94 material on there.  This band was pretty decent, i thought.  On the surface, its completely old style hardcore, but they do a good job of working in a very a balanced grindcore feel.  It wouldn't be inappropriate to call this music a very sped up Discharge, but i think Autoritär (crustgrind from Germany) is a worthy listen.
http://www.myspace.com/autoritar

The only problem is that its nearly impossible to find their stuff because they aren't that popular and go through a lot of line-up changes/quits/reunions.  

January 25, 2008, 11:42:43 AM
Ask yourself why there have been no epic hardcore albums since 1985, and no epic grindcore albums since 1992 or so.

i beg to differ, good sir. the Cro-Mags' "Age of Quarrel" was released in 1988, and is a crushing example of hardcore punk infused with thrash metal.

January 26, 2008, 01:11:03 PM
http://www.insectwarfare.com/

Niden Div 187 + later Brutal Truth: good instrumentals, good song topics, goes nowhere. Kind of like early Napalm Death: a novelty with good intentions.

January 26, 2008, 11:53:27 PM

Niden Div 187

sorry, what do you mean by that?

and yes, IW can get a bit repetitive sometimes. i give them their credit, however, and they are certainly a breath of fresh air in the wake of all of this "scenegrind".

chrstphrbnntt

January 26, 2008, 11:57:27 PM
sorry, what do you mean by that?

It's the name of a black metal band.

January 27, 2008, 04:26:39 AM
it's hard not to dwell on the negatives in this world (there's plenty of them), though it doesn't feel healthy. if you don't at least acknowledge it then it seems like escapism. grindcore is "life sucks" type of music. which is worth knowing as the basis for better ideas; overcoming life.

January 27, 2008, 05:01:25 AM

It's the name of a black metal band.

ah, ok. thank you.

January 28, 2008, 04:43:03 PM
I'd like hear opinions of the band Assuck. People say they are too repetitive and all their songs sound the same, but I think they are fairly original and there are few others who sound as unique as they. And their lyrics aren't the traditional leftist garbage by most mid-90s grind.

January 29, 2008, 12:36:00 AM
Too repetitive? ASSUCK? you cannot be serious. their music constantly changes. they dont stick to a guitar part for more than 10 seconds usually. personally, Assuck is one of my favorite grindcore bands. completely crushing, brutal, nihilistic music.

id go so far as to say Assuck is one of the best grindcore bands there ever was, and ever will be. everyone here should check out "Anticapital". one of the finest grind releases ever put forth.